Old 12-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
Debau
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile
Unhappy Server Times

Please Login to Remove!

Happy Holidays!

I have two servers that control my Domino and BES environment. The main Domino server is an AS400 V5R2 running Domino 6.5.4 FP2. The BES is a Windows 2003 server running Domino 6.5.4.

The two servers are each controlled by a different "admin." The issue is that their times do not match. The BES (Windows) server is approximately 4 minutes faster then the AS400. The Windows server runs the same time that the other Win servers and PC's run, as the time comes from a central controller. The only server that does not pick up this time is the AS400.

When the AS400 sends reboot commands, or Domino restart commands to the Win Bes server, I have several services that will not start, these are the BES policy and dispatcher services. I suspect that the time difference may play a part. These services have to be restarted manually.

However the 2 admins will not budge on changing the time on their servers. At least when I suggest it! Does anyone that is more of a network admin have any thoughts or suggestions? If I could find more absolute proof of my observations, I may be able to get this issue resolved.

The AS400 is the main Domino server and sends mail to the BES server to be delivered to the BB users. They are both in the same domain.

Thanks for your help!
Deb
Old 12-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Hey Debau,

I don't think the server time difference will cause the BB Policy and Dispatcher not to started. These services are very dependent on the MSSQLSERVER service. If the MSSQLSERVER service is not started first, then these BB services will not start properly. I would suggest to look into the Policy and Dispatcher logs to see any specific error codes... they usually starts with 5xxx.

See KB-04099 for tables of these error codes.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Debau
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Happy New Year NoName,

There are no errors in the logs or Event Viewer.

I have a bit more information. Most of the time, it happens when a remote command to reboot the Windows 2003 server is sent from the AS400 to the Windows 2003 BES server. Everything restarts except for the Policy and Dispatcher services.

The bandaid approach has been to NOT reboot the Windows server. I don't care for bandaids, especially on a Windows server that from time to time needs to be rebooted. I would like this reboot to happen on Sunday after regular backups are performed.

It might be helpful if I had an exe to send to the BES that would restart it so that I can watch it. I can't access the 400 files. Does anyone have a win exe that I can use?

Thanks all for the help!,
Deb
Closed Thread