Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
andrewp

Model: 8100c
Carrier: tmo
Default Override outgoing address?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I've done many searches (here and on google) and can't seem to find a straight answer to this.

I have two bbs and two exchange accounts (and a very accommodating exchange admin). I would like all mail sent from acct2 to use the From: address of acct1.

We've got send as permissions setup and I can do this from outlook, now it's just a matter of getting it to work with the BB. I've tried the override address setting in the Blackberry Desktop and that hasn't made a difference (email is still sent as acct#2).

Is this possible? If so, can someone enlighten us on what steps need to be taken?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I am not sure its possible to do what your requesting. To my knowledge the BlackBerry can only send messages using an account (BIS or BES) that is setup on the device. In this case, Acct1 is not configured on Acct2's BlackBerry.

You may want to search the fourms for instructions on how to access two BES accounts from the same BlackBerry. I have never tried it, but a few others reported that it does work (but not supported by RIM). I believe it involves renaming service book before activating the second account.

With both accounts configured on the device you may be able to accomplish your main objective.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
andrewp

Model: 8100c
Carrier: tmo

Thanks Doug!

I've been afraid that this would be the answer.

Just to add some more info... the reason for this...

I have an 8700g and an 8100. I carry the 8700 during the week for work and the 8100 in the evenings and on weekends. I forward mail from my "personal" account to the BIS push account on both devices. I've setup separate BES accounts on both since I can't have two devices hit one account.

I've come up with a way to keep my calendar and contacts sync'd between the two exchange accounts (and therefore sync'd on the two BBs). I figured that email would be easy, but it's proving to be difficult. As it stands now getting email forwarded from acct1 (my primary work account/8700) to the 8100 is easy. The problem is that responses sent from the 8100 have the acct2 email address and that is confusing some people and making it difficult to keep email threads in sync.

Our exchange admin is suggesting that I operate the two independently and then forward mail between the two accounts. He'll update the user name and display name on acct2 to make it a bit less confusing. Assuming that the forwarding works (and doesn't create a loop) then this should work OK.

I was just hoping that there would be a way to have the sent mail from the blackberry on acct2 impersonate acct1.

The other option, of course, would be to turn off BES email delivery and switch to IMAP or just forward my mail directly to the BIS acct on the second device. I'm not crazy about this option, though.

Yes, I know that I can change devices on one acct in the DM, but I always end up getting screwed by this when I'm in a hurry.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

If the excahnge admin is willing to set up the server to allow mobile devices to talk to it, you could just add the second account like a BIS account. You can set up a filter to prevent recieving the incoming mail on that device, but you will be able to send using the number two address.

I still don't see the need for two. Just use one calendar and contacts list and you can add up to 10 e-mail addresses to one BB. That's part of the beauty of the device. But I am obvioulsy missing something if you have come to the conclusion that there is no way to consolidate to one device.
BES 4.1
Closed Thread