Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:36 AM   #1
slickca21
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default Changing BBs on BES for all you BES admins

Please Login to Remove!

I'm thinking about upgrading my BB to a newer model. Do i need to contact my bes admin to add the new pin to the BES or can i just connect the new BB to my Desktop manager and have it activated?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

It never hurts to contact your BES admin folks before doing this, even if just to make sure that the BB model you purchase is allowed on the BES. That being said, if you use the latest version of Desktop Manager, 4.2.0.14, it has a switch device wizard that will take care of the entire process for you. During the switch when it asks if you want to "provision" the device just say yes and it should do the Enterprise Activation automatically. I generally make sure I am connected to the email system (VPN, dial up, LAN, etc.) just in case but I don't think the switch device wizard needs that.

If for some reason none of these work to reactivate on the BES you can always call the BES admins (hopefully you talked to them already) and they can setup an activation password that you can use to activate OTA.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:05 AM   #3
bradhs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Definitely talk to them. Many companies have restrictions on support devices or carriers. No reason for them to do that, but they do it anyway.

Bradley
Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhs
Definitely talk to them. Many companies have restrictions on support devices or carriers. No reason for them to do that, but they do it anyway.

Bradley

Actually plenty of reasons. The most obvious is just plain remote support. When one of my users calls me from halfway around the world, having a similar device, with the same OS version and apps loaded on it means that I can talk them through anything.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

and the restirction on carriers makes sense as the company may have an overall deal with carrier (a) which is better than (b) . Plus if you regularly deal with BB issues 3/10 will prove to be provisioning ones in which case knowing that you just call carrier (a) is a bonus...
Old 12-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
Actually plenty of reasons. The most obvious is just plain remote support. When one of my users calls me from halfway around the world, having a similar device, with the same OS version and apps loaded on it means that I can talk them through anything.
Agreed.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
slickca21
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Thanks for all the replies. I will be contacting my IT guys directly. I only have desktop 4 on my computer that were installed by the IT guys. I can't install 4.2 on my own.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
bradhs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Yeah, but think about the progress and efficiency you are leaving behind because you are not managing a group of devices. Your really just talking about two OS's. 4.1 and 4.2 ... I'm a consultant who has to manage many BES implementations and manage all the different BlackBerry's out there. It's pretty easy since they all operate about the same. We have it easy.

Try managing the different TREO's and MS Mobile implementations. That's a major pain. Keys in different places, icons in different places, different wizards to configure, etc....

Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett
and the restirction on carriers makes sense as the company may have an overall deal with carrier (a) which is better than (b) . Plus if you regularly deal with BB issues 3/10 will prove to be provisioning ones in which case knowing that you just call carrier (a) is a bonus...
Closed Thread