BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:26 AM   #41
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

again, being a huge berry user for years I have to ask where you see the iPhone as a failure? I'm bot being a fan boy but in all seriousness take away the email app and security, which I know are huge deals, iPhone gottem. Especially if you consider how media centric the curve is. I'll never leave blackberry but all im saying is recognize some positive whsn you see it..
Old 07-02-2007, 06:35 AM   #42
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Apple Lisa computer

READ! read whay it was unpoular

Notice the SAME pattern with the iphone?

This was an amazing advancement in a user-friendly computer system, but Apple didn't invent the idea of the GUI, it's difficult to say who did. But Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) created the first computer with a Graphical User Interface and a mouse, in 1973! This 'Alto' computer was never sold to the public, and in 1981 the 'Star', which cost $17,000, was far too expensive and sold poorly.

Although Apple spent an incredible amount of time and money developing the Lisa, four years and $50 million, it turned out to be an unpopular system, due to its high price and few available software applications. Additionally, it was rather slow, as the large and complex operating system was a huge burden on the 5MHz CPU.

Last edited by Galvatron; 07-02-2007 at 06:37 AM..
Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #43
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

bad comparison gal,
your comparing a product that was brand new to most the world to something that is almost universally used. Yes the Lisa was a failure but is was because of pricing not the tech.

The iphone numbers for the first weekend are about 500K and that is more than Apple had expected. Honestly, every product that comes out will need some fine tuning I mean look in here at the different problems people have and RIM has been making BB for how long? I dont mean to bash RIM all i'm saying is its a constant battle because of software and hardware issues. Apple is holding off on 3rd party apps to keep the experience as bug free as possible to begin.

I also am a happy 8800 user and dont want any iphone unless it does what i want in my pda. That being said I use my ipod alot and can definitely see the draw for alot of people and if they continue to update the software & get OTA sync i could be tempted.

BTW - Gal, Yeah those millions of Ipods that have been sold are to non-tech people huh? Apple has never been one to cater to the bottom budget home built PC people, if this is news to you then your not really the tech person you think you are. They make very good profits catering to the upper middle / upper tier of buyers. You are getting way off topic here throwing in Xbox into this? Do you really want to say MS is good for tech?

Last edited by test54; 07-02-2007 at 09:00 AM..
Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #44
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
bad comparison gal,
your comparing a product that was brand new to most the world to something that is almost universally used. Yes the Lisa was a failure but is was because of pricing not the tech.

The iphone numbers for the first weekend are about 500K and that is more than Apple had expected. Honestly, every product that comes out will need some fine tuning I mean look in here at the different problems people have and RIM has been making BB for how long? I dont mean to bash RIM all i'm saying is its a constant battle because of software and hardware issues. Apple is holding off on 3rd party apps to keep the experience as bug free as possible to begin.

I also am a happy 8800 user and dont want any iphone unless it does what i want in my pda. That being said I use my ipod alot and can definitely see the draw for alot of people and if they continue to update the software & get OTA sync i could be tempted.

BTW - Gal, Yeah those millions of Ipods that have been sold are to non-tech people huh? Apple has never been one to cater to the bottom budget home built PC people, if this is news to you then your not really the tech person you think you are. They make very good profits catering to the upper middle / upper tier of buyers. You are getting way off topic here throwing in Xbox into this? Do you really want to say MS is good for tech?
A logical person here, thats all i was trying to convey, your a berry user like myself but can see that there is some draw to the iphone, whether its the newness or the tech...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #45
King-B
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1790 View Post
A logical person here, thats all i was trying to convey, your a berry user like myself but can see that there is some draw to the iphone, whether its the newness or the tech...
Thats what Im sayin........lol
Plus, I think the iphone is killa!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #46
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Galvatron, for a 28 year old American, you certainly suck at English, analogies and metaphors.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #47
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Galvatron, for a 28 year old American, you certainly suck at English, analogies and metaphors.
wow, another perfect post. You should see his comments on Boy Genius' site, not sure but i think he's trying to make a new language.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #48
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
wow, another perfect post. You should see his comments on Boy Genius' site, not sure but i think he's trying to make a new language.
he gives me a freaking headache Ive tried to be nice to him but its getting harder and harder
Old 07-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #49
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

I'm posting this without any personal comment from me, except to say that I tend to agree with the lukewarm assessment - great at some things, sucks at others. Unfortunately, what it sucks at, per this review, is in both the messaging (email and SMS) AND as a phone!

Quote:
When he announced the iPhone, Steve Jobs said to expect three things: "an incredibly great cell phone," "the best iPod we've ever made," and "the Internet in your pocket." One out of three isn't bad. Yes, the iPhone is the best iPod ever—ironic for something not even called an iPod! But it's just a plain lousy phone, and although it makes some exciting advances in handheld Web browsing, it's not the Internet in your pocket.

Bottom Line: It's the best portable media player ever. It's possibly the most fun we've ever had with a handheld device. It browses the Web like a champ. Yet as a voice phone and a messaging device, it's a loser. The iPhone is full of contradictions.
Full review: Apple iPhone Review by PC Magazine
Old 07-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #50
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

This is a review i read. This is from a everyday user of the product. I tend to take these in consideration more then people who have had the phone for 15 min in a store. To me the device sounds solid and has quirks just like all the blackberrys do. I can remember people complaining about there pearl. All devices have growing pains.

My purchase experience was outstanding. I went to my local Apple store and once I was waited on, I was out of there in about 15 to 20 minutes. They were very organized and made the process very easy.

Brought it home and connected with iTunes to activate. That process was very impressive. Very fast, smooth and no problems. I was not surprised however as I knew what to expect since I had read all about it on the web site prior to the purchase. A smart way to activate phones.

The iPhone checks my Yahoo mail every 15 minutes.
My same Yahoo account is push mail on my BlackBerry but that's normal as BB servers provide push mail service. I'm sure down the line Apple may provide this, but at the moment you've got to wait. I did not expect it to be push however since the iPhone is mainly an entertainment device not designed for work.

I find the touch sensitive keyboard very well thought out, but slightly miserable to use. Itxxx8217;s OK for the odd email here and there but I would not want to try and use it daily as I process about 30 to 40 emails a day while traveling (using my BB) and a regular keyboard is so much easier and you donxxx8217;t have to look at the device to use it.

While Outlook syncs nicely with the iPhone it too is really slow compared to the speed of a sync on my BlackBerry. I timed it, with the somewhat large contact list I have (3,500 contacts) it takes just under 30 seconds on the BlackBerry. The same operation on the iPhone is 2.5 minutes. But again I did not expect it to be able to perform as fast as a BlackBerry so I'm not unhappy.

The phone quality is a bit weak and not that clear, however I must remember that it's Apples first try at cramming so many features into one device. Itxxx8217;s usable and thatxxx8217;s good enough.

The internet experience on WiFi is decent, just average overall. I'm surprised that it's about 15% slower than my laptop. I have an E61 Nokia smart phone with WiFi and it's the same speed as my laptop, so that's what I was expecting from the iPhone. Again, I'm thinking it's because Apple has no experience in this field with mobile devices and therefore we the public are like the beta testers of iPhone version 1.0. I donxxx8217;t mind. The only area that is pretty bad is the internet experience using EDGE. Compared to my 3G Blackjack (which is 3G) the iPhone is very slow. I think itxxx8217;s bad enough, that hopefully lots of people will complain to Apple and due to that pressure Apple will respond with a 3G version before XMAS. Then I will just dump this one on eBay and get the 3G model with the faster connection. I use the net a lot and the iPhone is perfect with the large display, but with the slow connection itxxx8217;s horrible. Then again I knew it would be, so itxxx8217;s not like itxxx8217;s a surprise or anything. I can use my Blackjack to get me by.

The iPod functions like Video, music and pictures are all just as good as my 80GB Video iPod, just very limited as with 8GB you really can't put much on it. But again I expected this limitation as I read everything about the phone prior to purchasing so I knew what to expect. This is the reason for the purchase as I like that everything is all on one device even if there are some rather big compromises and somewhat of a lack of speed. Getting the music, pictures and other stuff into the iPhone was easy as Ixxx8217;ve been using an iPod for years and spent some time getting iTunes ready to load what I wanted on my iPhone in advance.

The Camera is OK. It may be just a bit better than my K550i Sony Ericsson, but only under certain conditions and again I've only had the iPhone since 6:30pm yesterday. I feel that it is adequate and itxxx8217;s not something that is a deal breaker. However it would be nice if it had a better camera.

The build quality of the device is stellar, typical Apple, very well designed, sturdy and good looking. I must say that the key to keeping it this way will be to avoid dropping it. I think that it will scratch up a fair amount when dropped, so avoiding that is a priority.

The glass display is a bit on the shiny side, and reflects a fair amount. However perhaps with time it something that you get used to. The colors are very nice and the resolution is not bad. The icons can be a bit fuzzy on the edges but thatxxx8217;s probably because I have very good vision and I notice things like that, just a minor detail. Once you use it for awhile there are so many fingerprints that itxxx8217;s less noticeable. I keep a small soft micro fiber cloth and a bit of screen cleaning liquid in my bag so I can clean it frequently. Itxxx8217;s really nice when super clean.

No idea about battery performance yet, even though I used it from about 7:30pm until about 3am in the morning, and then again from 7:30am this morning until about noon, then I took a few minutes to write this report. Anyway I was too focused on everything else and Ixxx8217;m not picky about battery times anyway as I always carry the charger with me.

So that is my initial impression after about 11 to 12 hours of usage. Overall I give Apple good marks as it all works. As noted some of the functions need improvement in the speed department, however for a first try I think Apple did OK. I think this is a good starting point for them, and the next version should be much better and so much faster.

For now I'm happy as I knew that it would be slow based on the specs and lack of 3G. I mainly purchased it because I'm an early adopter, it will not be my main phone and thus it really doesn't matter that much.

I am a serious phone enthusiast with three lines and several new unlocked phones. I use my BlackBerry during the week. My Samsung A717 when I want to carry a small, fast & light 3G flip phone with really strong, clear phone reception, when out hiking or going to the beach, or on the boat, where one would not want to carry the iPhone. Finally, I plan on carrying my iPhone for fun on other evenings during the week and on the weekends. It's a phone that is like my PSP, just for fun.

If they work diligently, I believe that in a year or so, Apple will have the bugs worked out of the iPhone and at that time it may be good enough to be the only phone one carries, except for those times you want a small phone for an active weekend out.

On a scale of 1 xxx8211; 10 I rate it as a solid 7.0, very good for their first try.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 07-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #51
BBGregPearl

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

Forget it not even worth the time to argue.

Now with the new and improved 8530.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #52
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
why i love my iPhone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROs
1. nice look
2. good websurfing (cant download images though)
3. good music/video playback
4. best UI
5. powerful cpu
6. gorgeous screen

CONs
1. no A2DP
2. no OBEX
3. no video
4. no drag and drop functionality (media)
5. built in battery
6. no mms (email is ridiculous. i will not send to "xxxx@tmomail.net, etc. to send a pic)
7. no multiple recipient sms
8. no customised ringtone
9. wallpaper only customisation
10. no 3rd party support
11. no phone to phone sharing (BT or IRDA)
12. no games
13. no "IM" client
14. No GPS
15. no File System Access
16. no voice commands/dial
17. No speed dialing
18. cant "copy and paste"
19. no tethering
"subjective" cons:
20. poor speakerphone
21. average RF
22. subpar call volume
23. cannot "blind" text
24. cannot port data (contacts) from old SIM

cannot justify holding to a $600 phone when most dumb phones can do most of what were listed. i dont see myself playing with a crippled device for 1 year. as for "updates": i do not want to wait like sheep in limbo for when it happens
stolen from another of my cell phones forums
Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #53
test54
BlackBerry Master

I agree with most of those but one thing that gets me is the people complaining about mms, maybe its because its so easy to email stuff on the BB but i dont see why people are so attached to sms and mms. -maybe its that Younger Generation

Dont forget how important #4, #5, #6 are in pdas. I know the list is pretty big but as an apple person I do have to believe that their software update will be busy to answer their critics. I'm not a betting person but if i was i would bet on most software issues / omissions being addressed or added asap.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #54
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
This is a review i read. This is from a everyday user of the product. I tend to take these in consideration more then people who have had the phone for 15 min in a store.
Well, except that among those "everyday users" if you take about a minute or less you can find everyday users who call it everything from the second coming to the worst piece of crap they've ever laid hands on. So hard to really tell how objective *any* of those everyday user reviews are.

Quote:
The iPhone checks my Yahoo mail every 15 minutes.
I thought the claim all along has been that Yahoo would be (the only) push mail, so that's an interesting observation!

Quote:
I find the touch sensitive keyboard very well thought out, but slightly miserable to use. It’s OK for the odd email here and there but I would not want to try and use it daily as I process about 30 to 40 emails a day while traveling (using my BB) and a regular keyboard is so much easier and you don’t have to look at the device to use it.

While Outlook syncs nicely with the iPhone it too is really slow compared to the speed of a sync on my BlackBerry. I timed it, with the somewhat large contact list I have (3,500 contacts) it takes just under 30 seconds on the BlackBerry. The same operation on the iPhone is 2.5 minutes.
Quote:
The phone quality is a bit weak and not that clear, however I must remember that it's Apples first try at cramming so many features into one device. It’s usable and that’s good enough.
Quote:
On a scale of 1 – 10 I rate it as a solid 7.0, very good for their first try.
So there you have it. Typing emails is "slightly miserable", the sync is "really slow" and the phone quality is "a bit weak and not all that clear" but he rates it "a solid 7 on a scale of 1-10"???? What the heck is he rating it as, one wonders? Oh yeah, love those "everyday user" reviews!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 AM   #55
csurfr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I dumped my pearl the minute I purchased my iPhone. . . sure I miss the push email with my GMail account, but I don't have any time sensitive email anyway. . . the bberry was more of a convenience.

I don't know who said the iPhone was slow, but I haven't seen that yet. . . At least it doesn't take 5 minutes to browse the pictures like it does on the Pearl.

Sure it doesn't have MMS, but to be honest, how many people actually use that? I have never sent one, and since I have email, why would I? Why would any of us?

Typing took some getting used to, but I think it is much, much nicer than SureType. I've had the iPhone for 3 days now, and i'm just as fast as the bberry without a doubt.

I didn't have any problem with slow syncing at all. . . everything just worked. . . unlike trying to sync my BB with my MacBook.

Oh, and as to the first post which said that he couldn't add the iPhone without activating a new line? That's completely false. It took me 10 minutes to activate mine and replace my blackberry completely. . . couldn't have been any easier.

Last edited by csurfr; 07-03-2007 at 01:02 AM..
Old 07-03-2007, 02:06 AM   #56
King-B

Model: 8100
PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by csurfr View Post
I dumped my pearl the minute I purchased my iPhone. . . sure I miss the push email with my GMail account, but I don't have any time sensitive email anyway. . . the bberry was more of a convenience.

I don't know who said the iPhone was slow, but I haven't seen that yet. . . At least it doesn't take 5 minutes to browse the pictures like it does on the Pearl.

Sure it doesn't have MMS, but to be honest, how many people actually use that? I have never sent one, and since I have email, why would I? Why would any of us?

Typing took some getting used to, but I think it is much, much nicer than SureType. I've had the iPhone for 3 days now, and i'm just as fast as the bberry without a doubt.

I didn't have any problem with slow syncing at all. . . everything just worked. . . unlike trying to sync my BB with my MacBook.

Oh, and as to the first post which said that he couldn't add the iPhone without activating a new line? That's completely false. It took me 10 minutes to activate mine and replace my blackberry completely. . . couldn't have been any easier.
Cool review....Nice to hear from an avid user
Old 07-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #57
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

How about if I wanted to buy the iPhone and keep my BlackBerrys as well. Can this be done all in one plan?

I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too...LOL
Old 07-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #58
vandal
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
"I smell like total ass, but at least i have an iphone!"
Old 07-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #59
vandal
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by csurfr View Post

good review, but i think its unfair to compare it to a dinky pearl. the curve would be a fair comparison.

how do you like the camera on the iphone?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #60
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No the 2 plans have to be serptate. Some huy is havving activation issues an problema with attt cause they pulled the number form his family plan. Also if you share an ituns acouny with your spouse. 1 or the othe has to creat a new account caus you can't share it or the contacts. Lovley huh. Apple dose not like cake eaters lol. Even che Boygenius's pdfs an som of thos forum comments.
Closed Thread