Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
leecolglazier

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default Easy Way to Manage Sounds

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know an easy way to manage sounds?

I know I can click on Advanced under the profiles screen, and for each profile (Loud, Normal, etc) change characteristics about it. However, this process seems too daunting, and I could spend hours choosing different sounds, volumes, etc. for texts, emails, phone calls, etc. for various scenarios such as when the blackberry is in or out of the case, etc. It just seems like too much work.

Yet, the default settings that came on my Blackberry Curve are annoying. When the phone rings on the Loud profile, it sounds like a laser gun. It is a bit embarrasing when it occurs around collegues at work.

Is there just some simple program that has sounds profiles I can choose from, where someone else has done all the work of choosing good ones. For example, a sound set-up that sounds professional, one that is fun, etc. The ones I have found seem to be associated with screens as well, which I do not want, as I have my screen just the way I want it.

Any links to such a thing would be appreciated.

-A lazy Blackberry owner
Old 05-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Sorry Lazy, there is no other way to modify the system sounds. You are going to have to invest the time to change the profiles.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
leecolglazier

ahhhhh nuts.
I knew I should have bought an iPhone.
Thanks NJBlackberry. At least I won't waste any more time looking for such a program.
-Lazy
Old 05-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You can probably still return it. The BlackBerry may not be right for you.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

The time requirements are really quite minimal, but NJ is right -- the phone may not be for you.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Generally 14 to 30 days, if you bought the phone from a carrier. If from eBay, then good luck.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

editing profiles takes only moments
Old 05-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
leecolglazier

Nah, I do like the BlackBerry applications, and prefer the speed of use and versitility over an iPhone. I will keep the BlackBerry.

I just find the sound settings a bit clumbsy. Kind of like if I go to buy ketchup from a store, I do not want to be overwhelmed with 100 brands. Being forced to decide how many beeps, should it vibrate too, should it repeat, should the LED be on, etc. is just more than I want to think about. Then I have to figure out what a Level 1 Message is, versus a Messenger Alert, versus a Messenger - New Message, and whether they should all have different sounds. Then all that can change whether it is in or out of a Holster, and when I'm done that is just one profile (Normal), now I have to go see what I want for Vibrate, or Loud. I would have no problem keeping the default it the default was normal beeps, but instead I have crazy ligt saber and sonar sounds that are too annoying and attract too much attention, so now I have to change them.

If I just would have done that from the beginning, I would be done by now..... but I'd rather complain.

It seems like if someone came up with a Sound Theme program, there would be a market for Lazy people like me.

I do like the BlackBerry over the iPhone. I equate it to driving a stick shift over an automatic (but whn it comes to sounds I prefer the automatic.)

-Lazy Blackberry Owner
Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Just set the ones that matter. You don't need to go through each and every alert in every profile if you don't use some of them. You can go back later and tinker with the rest if you feel compelled to do so.

If you haven't set a filter to flag messages as Level 1 (and/or don't have PIN's set to come in as Level 1) then the Level 1 alerts aren't germane. If you don't use BB Messenger then the Messenger alerts aren't germane either. If you don't use a holster then the in-holster settings don't matter. Etc etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecolglazier View Post
Is there just some simple program that has sounds profiles I can choose from, where someone else has done all the work of choosing good ones.
"Good" is extremely subjective. There's no such thing as a profile that would make everyone happy.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-26-2009 at 02:00 PM..
Closed Thread