Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
psinferno

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom
Default Disable Power Button

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I'm new to the BB-World and it's pretty hard to find reliable sources for my questions.
I found this forum and it seems great. So here's my question. I already searched the web for a solution, but nothing seems to help:

I carry my phone in my pants without a case. Now it shuts off regularly because it hits the "power button" while walking around even if I have activated the key lock.

Is there some kind of tool (I would pay for it) where I can disable the Power Button when the phone is locked? I already tried the tool "auto lock" and it looks good, but it doesn't disable the power button...

Any help is appreciated
Old 09-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinferno View Post
Hi

I'm new to the BB-World and it's pretty hard to find reliable sources for my questions.
I found this forum and it seems great. So here's my question. I already searched the web for a solution, but nothing seems to help:

I carry my phone in my pants without a case. Now it shuts off regularly because it hits the "power button" while walking around even if I have activated the key lock.

Is there some kind of tool (I would pay for it) where I can disable the Power Button when the phone is locked? I already tried the tool "auto lock" and it looks good, but it doesn't disable the power button...

Any help is appreciated
I don't know of anything, but are you sure this is what is going on? It would seem if the device was turning off on its own you would notice this happening at others times when it is not in your pocket, but then you do have to press and hold the call end key to turn the device off and so it would also seem unlikely you are accidently shutting it off in your pocket. Just strikes me as unusual.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 09-10-2011 at 09:02 AM..
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
psinferno

Default Re: Disable Power Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I don't know of anything, but are you sure this is what is going on? It would seem if the device was turning off on its own you would notice this happening at others times when it is not in your pocket, but then you do have to press and hold the call end key to turn the device off and so it would also seem unlikely you are accidently shutting it off in your pocket. Just strikes me as unusual.
My english is not that good sorry, but I try:

First I thought that something is wrong with my blackberry because it shut down and restarted a few times when it was on my desk. Then i updated to the newest firmware and it didn't happen again.
But this morning when i was walking around with the BB in my pocket it shut down again. I haven't put it back to the pants since then and now it runs without a problem.

So I would be calmer if I could have that button lock...
Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Your english is fine. I understand what you are writing.

I still tend to think you are not somehow pressing and holding the power button, or hitting the power off icon if the lock is on. I suspect there is some other issue. But that is just me speculating. One other thought, however, is that if you are accidently turning it off in your pocket, you would be just as likely, if not more likely, to turn it back on. So, again, I suspect something else is happening.

Sorry I don't know anything to help with your original question. See what others say on that.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
psinferno

Thank you for sharing your opinion.
Guess I have to see over the next days how it works out. I hope it's not a hardware defect.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Your english is fine. I understand what you are writing.

I still tend to think you are not somehow pressing and holding the power button, or hitting the power off icon if the lock is on. I suspect there is some other issue. But that is just me speculating. One other thought, however, is that if you are accidently turning it off in your pocket, you would be just as likely, if not more likely, to turn it back on. So, again, I suspect something else is happening.

Sorry I don't know anything to help with your original question. See what others say on that.
I agree, sounds like you're battery is lose or you have something intermittent. I would return it soon since it will only get worse.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinferno View Post
Thank you for sharing your opinion.
Guess I have to see over the next days how it works out. I hope it's not a hardware defect.
I use a device password. But make Damn sure you don't forget it! And leave the "password entry tries" at 10, in case. If you enter the wrong password 10 times, you're device will wipe itself.

Then you can lock the screen and have less chance of problems.

Two other ideas. Don't wear skinny jeans and don't sit down with it in your pocket. BB's are tough, but if you sit down with it in your pocket, over and over, you'll flex the circuit board and That will end in a dead BB.

I've never had this same problem with my BB in my pocket, however, I never sit down with it in there nor allow anying Else in that same pocket.

If it still happens, with these precautions, call your provider and ask them for a warranty replacement.

Lots of my friends are having issues with the first run 9900's.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

For what it's worth, I tested with my 9900 ... Locked with password and held down call end key ... and the device can be turned off when password locked. It will prevent the power off icon from being pressed, however, but so should the regular lock.

Last edited by aiharkness; 09-10-2011 at 05:23 PM..
Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #9
psinferno

What a pity, it happend again. While I was sleeping...
This morning, the device was turned off.

Could this have something to do with apps I installed? I tried to find a solution in the event log of the Bold, but couldn't find anything interesting.

Guess there is no other option to bring it back
Old 09-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I would return it right away.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Device should NOT power itself off unless Auto ON/OFF times are set. I have never had it shut off whilst in my pocket. One thing left to try before exchanging it, would be a device wipe with a very selective restore. If you still have the same issue, exchange it ASAP.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
psinferno

Last Sunday I gave it a last try with the second newest firmware provided here in the forum. Since then I haven't had any problems with the device powering off. This is great news for me.

Still there is no solution yet about the powering off when carrying the case in my pants.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Still should NOT power off. Maybe it's too tight in your pant pocket...I keep mine in my pants and it's never shut off...I use an Otterbox or a BlackBerry original case.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 09-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

I am still leaning towards a hardware issue of some sort.

I personally would swap it out for a new one from the carrier before your 30 days is up
Closed Thread