BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
layand

Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Default From Treo to Blackberry...a quick question

Please Login to Remove!

I finally let go of my beloved Treo after being a Palm user for about 10 years. I just received my 8703e and wanted to know if there is a way to import all of my existing info from my Palm/Palm Desktop into my Blackberry/Blackberry desktop. Or do I have to enter everything by hand?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Install the Palm conduit for Outlook, sync your Palm to Outlook then sync you BlackBerry to Outlook.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ditto, that is exactly how I migrated my wife's Palm data over to her BB.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
layand

Thanks for the quick reply....I'll give it a try!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
expalmuser

Model: 8703e
Carrier: MTS (Bell)
Default My Solution

Not sure if you solved your problem.

So here's my 1.5 cents

When I first loaded the bb sw on my pc, it quite happily moved everything over, without going to outlook (which isn't available on my pc.)

Stan
Old 03-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #6
level9
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Sprint

I believe the desk manager now has an import treo data function on it. I synced my data first, so I didn't try it, but I believe it is there for you to give it a try.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
BoogieNYC

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Palm Desktop data to BB -- Sync or Import?

I'm also a long-time Palm user; like layand, I've been using Palms even before they were known as Palm (anyone remember the first Pilot?). In advance of my impending purchase of a VZW 8703e (if not a Cingular 8800), I figured I would start using Outlook 2003. I got everything transferred over from Palm Desktop, but I'm less-than-thrilled with Outlook as a PC-based PIM. No password-protected notes/memos, a lousy, clunky calendar interface, and the thing is bloated beyond words. Soooo...the question is, will the BB Desktop allow me to continue to use Palm Desktop regularly and sync over, or is BB Desktop only able to import data into Outlook for regular Outlook <> BB syncs?

IOW, is using BB Desktop with Palm Desktop a one-time thing or can I continue using Palm Desktop on the PC side (plus Outlook e-mail)?

TIA...

-B-
Old 03-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You can check under Intellisync/Sync. If you dig around in the options you'll find the supported apps. I'm not sure about constantly relying on the device migration wizard to keep things in sync. It sounds like a bad idea and more trouble than it's worth as the wizard is inteded to be a one-time deal...

Last edited by takeshi; 03-05-2007 at 09:17 AM..
Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
layand

Default From Treo to Blackberry...

Okay, so the intellisync did not work, and after 3 days, I finally got my Treo to sync with Outlook 2003, only to have only my tasks and memos, make the cut. My addresses and calender will not sync. I keep getting a 'cannot write file, blah, blah' message. Any suggestions?

Layand
Old 03-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wish i could help but i have never been a fan of TREOS always have customers coming back with this and that wrong. CONGRATS on getting the BB enjoy
Old 03-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to BBF!

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 AM   #12
BoogieNYC

Default Migration, Etc.

Thanks Takeshi, once I installed the BB Desktop/Device Manager 'ware the question was answered, and I agree -- while it's possible it could function as an ongoing converter, there's really no point in chancing it. There's other solutions if I really needed to use Palm Desktop with a BB but it's not an overwhelming requirement.

Everything of mine, for the most part, transferred over from Palm Desktop so I'll stick with Outlook and the standard BB sync.

Thanks for the help.

-B-
Old 03-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieNYC
I'm also a long-time Palm user; like layand, I've been using Palms even before they were known as Palm (anyone remember the first Pilot?). In advance of my impending purchase of a VZW 8703e (if not a Cingular 8800), I figured I would start using Outlook 2003. I got everything transferred over from Palm Desktop, but I'm less-than-thrilled with Outlook as a PC-based PIM. No password-protected notes/memos, a lousy, clunky calendar interface, and the thing is bloated beyond words. Soooo...the question is, will the BB Desktop allow me to continue to use Palm Desktop regularly and sync over, or is BB Desktop only able to import data into Outlook for regular Outlook <> BB syncs?

IOW, is using BB Desktop with Palm Desktop a one-time thing or can I continue using Palm Desktop on the PC side (plus Outlook e-mail)?

TIA...

-B-
Don't think you can synch to the Palm Desktop as that is not a supported app. Download Desktop Manager 4.2. That is the latest version. As some has said, it has an import from Treo function. Don't know if that is from the device or the Palm Desktop.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #14
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by layand
Okay, so the intellisync did not work, and after 3 days, I finally got my Treo to sync with Outlook 2003, only to have only my tasks and memos, make the cut. My addresses and calender will not sync. I keep getting a 'cannot write file, blah, blah' message. Any suggestions?

Layand
I assume you got everything set up to synch all the various parts? I remember I had similar problems many years ago when I set up my Treo to synch with Outlook. It took some checking and probing but finally got it to work. Can't remember the problem though.

But once you get it all done, you will appreciate the stability and ease of synching the BB.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 AM   #15
BoogieNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
Don't think you can synch to the Palm Desktop as that is not a supported app. Download Desktop Manager 4.2. That is the latest version. As some has said, it has an import from Treo function. Don't know if that is from the device or the Palm Desktop.
The 'ware imports all the info from the active version of Palm Desktop on the PC on which it's installed, dumps everything into Outlook, and then synchs.

That was a question of mine also prior to doing it, but everything went very smoothly and the data made it to the BB without any issues whatsoever.

-B-
Closed Thread