BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
mmagda
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Thumbs up WTS: MINT, blackberry bold 9000, with issue.

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, and thanks for clicking.

Item: Blackberry Bold 9000
Price (and Currency): 200$ CAD
Condition: 9.9/10
Accessories included: Majority, less a couple of supplementary manuals and OEM box
Additional details: Phone has issue, read below
Willing to ship: Yes, please contact for quote and desired means of shipping.
Payment method: PayPal only
Notes:

I have a SUPER MINT blackberry bold 9000 from AT&T in the US. The phone is near perfect shape, except for two very faint, not even noticeable scuff marks one, on the bezel another on the camera trim piece.

Here is the problem, it doesn't read my Fido sim card, or the Rogers sim i tried out.

Yes, the phone is unlocked, i upgraded the OS to the latest version and i even went as far as debranding the device.

I have no idea as to how i can possibly fix it, my inexperience is your gain.
**It should be noted that i had it working on OS 4.6 and branded to AT&T for one day, when i took out the battery and SIM and put it back in all i got was this error message:
"initialization failed/ SOS"

With that said this phone is being sold AS-IS, I am not a store, i wanted a Bold to replace my phone, and it did not work out.

This is a *highly* valued device, especially in terms of Parts! the LCD IS 100% PERFECT, not a single mark, nothing. All other parts are mint as mentioned as well, pictures will show.

I am trying to not leave out any details, all has been mentioned is accurate.

It comes with most of the accessories. I do not have the OEM AT&T box, and a couple of supplementary manuals.

Otherwise, the main booklet, CD [never opened], Headphones [never opened], Holster, Charger [never used], USB cable, Battery, Phone itself, battery door.

Asking 200$ CAD, Firm on this. I doubt anyone in Canada will want it, but might as well try.

My loss is your gain.

more pictures are here: bold 9000 pictures by w300sale - Photobucket

Thanks,
Mike

I only take Paypal, the price it 200$ CAD shipped in CANADA, and paypal fees absorbed by myself. US buyers contact to arrange for shipping
Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
mmagda
Thumbs Must Hurt

bump!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

How did you de-brand it?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
mmagda
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
How did you de-brand it?
using MFI Multiloader 2.0.1.8.

thanks,
Mike

Last edited by JSanders; 03-10-2010 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: removed link
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

That is illegal software, this forum does not support that. It can kill your phone.
blue.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmagda View Post
Here is the problem, it doesn't read my Fido sim card, or the Rogers sim i tried out.
Hmmm... you think there is any connection to having used the illegal and stolen RIM software?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Noodle22

This is no longer a "a *highly* valued device", I believe that software will render the phone useless.
blue.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Hmmm... you think there is any connection to having used the illegal and stolen RIM software?
I'll let him answer for himself.

Quote:
I am aware of that... It is there phone, i am not going to blatantly state "FYI i debranded it", i want to get down to the bottom of the 'initiailization failed' causes, and want one of their experts to shed some light, as like i said, it is their device.

Listen, stupid. I have no idea how you can be so dense. The debranding has nothing to do with the issue you clown. Yes, i have seen you commenting in the debranding threads, so don't play dumb, you know quite well that it is not the cause of any further issues. It removed the hideous startup image, and menus now i have nice ones

It was the more 'extreme option' and which i had no influence upon, as i want this POS to work, and guess what, RIM blows, since they clearly cannot manufacture let alone engineer a 'state of the art' device that was supposed to be as big as the second coming of Christ.

You would think the second time around they would have a half decent working most of the time device, but no. They continually have countless people getting pissed since their products are piss-poor, brushing off customers to their respective carriers for tech issues.

There is no reason three friends of mine should have went thru 2, 3 & 5 replacements in a year long period. At that point I would throw in the towel...

However stupid ME fell for it, assuming the AT&T [like the 5-6 other smartphones i had off their network, older BB's, WinMo], this one should have worked.

/Rant, due to stupid, useless comment posted.

--------

The topic at hand. What i had used was MFI multiloader 2.0.1.3, so it was the latest, followed the instruction to a T. I used the 'fail method' so now i am going to try with the 'Pass' method where i check off full erase vs. not.

I was also using BDM 4.7 for the install, well not even, i ended up using apploader.exe instead. The OS i tried to install was the 4.3 version from Rogers, so i am going to go ahead with the denmark release of 5.0 since I already have it installed just now, if not i will try out something else, like the new leaked version.

Cheerios,
Mike
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Hmm...

I'll bid $0.05 for the device.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Noodle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Hmm...

I'll bid $0.05 for the device.
Don't overpay

I guess it would make a neat paper weight, what do paper weights go for these days?

You know, I really hate it when I use illegal software on my device and it stops working, when will RIM learn to make better smartphones?
blue.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

@mmagda:

Sounds like you've truly hosed your BlackBerry. The fact that it won't take Fido or Rogers SIM cards points to the device being ruined. I doubt an AT&T SIM card will get different results. That MFi garbage tends to do this all too often.

At this point your best option is probably to sell it for parts. You'd be surprised at how much you can get for the screen, housing, keyboard, etc.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
mmagda
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
@mmagda:

Sounds like you've truly hosed your BlackBerry. The fact that it won't take Fido or Rogers SIM cards points to the device being ruined. I doubt an AT&T SIM card will get different results. That MFi garbage tends to do this all too often.

At this point your best option is probably to sell it for parts. You'd be surprised at how much you can get for the screen, housing, keyboard, etc.
It was 'hosed' before doing the debranding.

The issue presented by one poster above was PRIOR TO DEBRANDING!

Let me summarize.

Put in sim, works for a few mins.
Take out sim put in other phone.
Proceed to put back in BOLD, doesn't work anymore!?
Tried reloading 3 million times the OS's from all carriers = nothing still doesn't read my sim
Tried 'old Rogers sim card' - nothing
Debranded it after all of the above, as it was a last resort! = still nothing with a new fido sim, with an old one, with an old rogers sim, with a new one.

So no, I didn't 'ruin the phone' AT&T did, and shame on me for not finding out prior to buying the damn thing. If i was aware they had additional 'something' preventing from using SIM's i wouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

So gentlemen, don't be so quick to jump the gun and make the assumption i did something wrong here, as i did not. I can simply rebrand it to AT&T and won't make a difference, debranding it removes the carriers 'speedbumps' and ugly themes. I did nothing to screw up the hardware in any way, it is physically the same.

The sim reader won't react to me removing a splash screen on startup, and the generic AT&T service books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22
This is no longer a "a *highly* valued device", I believe that software will render the phone useless.
O rly? Strange since RIM uses the same software...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
You know, I really hate it when I use illegal software on my device and it stops working, when will RIM learn to make better smartphones?
Yes, they should, perhaps they aren't entirely at fault. I will blame AT&T, how's that? Better? Since it appears they are the one's that add 'something' into their phones to make them useless outside the USA.
Think about it logically, none of you make sense... I have debranded plenty of phones, many of which were blackberries in the past with no ill-effects, and some were at&t handsets as well.

Thanks for the hate,
Mike
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Noodle22

But you did do something wrong here, you used stolen, illegal software to try to fix a phone. Yeah, it may be software that RIM uses, but if you are not a RIM employee, what gives you the right? Do you have knowledge on the software? Do you truly understand how it works? Do you know it could potentially brick your phone?

If there was a chance of salvaging the phone before using MFI, it's most likely gone now.

Quit while your ... ahead...
blue.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Think about it logically, none of you make sense...
Woot! Another "you're all crazy, I'm the only sane one here!"

Never heard that one before

$0.03 is my final offer.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
jsconyers

To add to what JSanders said, there are MANY unlocked AT&T Bolds out there. AT&T doesn't add 'something' to prevent the device from being unlocked.

*puts on my foil hat to be sane as well*

Ohh, Joey, $0.03 is too much
Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
mmagda
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
But you did do something wrong here, you used stolen, illegal software to try to fix a phone. Yeah, it may be software that RIM uses, but if you are not a RIM employee, what gives you the right? Do you have knowledge on the software? Do you truly understand how it works? Do you know it could potentially brick your phone?

If there was a chance of salvaging the phone before using MFI, it's most likely gone now.

Quit while your ... ahead...
I do understand it, thanks. I know it can brick my phone, do you know what 'brick' even means? If so you would know that the phone would not turn on, and would display an error message, but my phone turns on, wifi works, etc. Just doesn't read any canadian sim cards.

Removing splash screen hardly explains why it still persists to not function. Let alone why i didn't function prior.

furthermore, yes, there are tonnes of AT&T phones, i personally had about 5 blackberry/other smartphones from at&t in the past, but none would actually fetch 3G with my canadian sim. This is just an anomaly IMO since it doesn't read the sim at all to begin with, being unlocked and all... Note not all at&t phones on canadian networks are blackberry bold's since there are probably dozens of threads started on the topic of at&t blackberry bolds NOT working with Rogers/fido sims... Hardly my phone is an exception.

I posted in the BB forum for help/suggestions, yet no one could provide anything, and now, all of a sudden i had a chance of fixing it? lol

So, do tell, how you would have went about fixing this phone?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
jsconyers

Quote:
there are probably dozens of threads started on the topic of at&t blackberry bolds NOT working with Rogers/fido sims... Hardly my phone is an exception.
Can you point us to these threads?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

mmagda, I don't see from those links that you've ever posted in these forums about this issue. The one thread above you linked to this forum does not include you.

As a matter of fact, do any of those links above include you... which username is yours? The two links to the RIM support forums seem quite different than your own issue, and one of them includes a solution for one user.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Ok, I see one now from this forum. Why didn't you post it above?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1570578

This all sounds like a Fido/Rogers SIM card/network issue rather than an AT&T issue you've been whining about. I've seen AT&T Bolds unlocked and working all over the world. I know of two specifically sent to work on Rogers and the user confirmed they worked. So maybe it's primarily a Fido issue?

Last edited by JSanders; 03-10-2010 at 10:39 PM..
Closed Thread