Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
hteszler
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Q10
Carrier: Movistar (Telefonica) Uruguay
Default Best PIM software for Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everybody!

Which is the best PIM software in the market for a Blackberry?

Is there any place that compares the different programs options?

Thanks in advance and regards from Uruguay, Harry
Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

MS Outlook is the about the best, and most used.
There really are not any other good choices.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
hteszler

Model: Q10
Carrier: Movistar (Telefonica) Uruguay

You are fast JSanders !

I mean Software to have in my Blackberry.
I have MS Outlook too but there is still no version for the Blackberry
I was looking at e-mobile software Professional Edition.

Thanks again , Harry
Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

What exactly do you want to do. Also have you checked the aftermarket software forum.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Maybe pocketday.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
ScooterG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: E71x
PIN: Up Models Rule.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hteszler View Post
Hi everybody!

Which is the best PIM software in the market for a Blackberry?

Is there any place that compares the different programs options?

Thanks in advance and regards from Uruguay, Harry
I use a combo of Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Sync with my original contact and calendar programs. I do not use the enterprise version/function of the BB though...
Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
tjk1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

by far the most popular well-known ones are todomatrix and pocketday.
some other ones that are well known but just recently released blackberry verisons are Pocket Informant and Agendus.
i've also found a niffty program called BBTask Pro to be effective as well.
All pretty much enhance the native task program but with subtle differences.
those are some of the best ones.
i have my favorites and you probably will find one that you like from those.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
ItsAllVerbatim
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour

Wirelessly posted

The BB is the premiere PIM - ever.
The only notable exception to that would be Agendus on the Palm OS, which IS more comprehensive than the BB's PIM apps, but has a horrible user interface and integration.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

+1 for Pocket Informant for Blackberry (it has the most promise for future change)
Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Liquid_Len

Model: 8320
Carrier: Orange
Thumbs down Pocket Informant

Just started using PI in my BB Curve and I've had nothing but problems mainly around the sync function. I have a large-ish calendar which goes back about 7 years & contains around 4300 entries. The BB Calendar copes OK with that but when I installed PI (which syncs with the BB calendar) it just can't seem to cope with the database. It runs slow and eventually locks up. I tried splitting the Calendar which did improve performance but then discovered that any changes I made in PI didnt copy over to BB. I've had a lot of experience with syncing with portable devices and also using PI. I would urge caution to anyone concidering using this version of PI. Despite the claims of WebIS I don't think the software is stable enough yet.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Len View Post
Just started using PI in my BB Curve and I've had nothing but problems mainly around the sync function. I have a large-ish calendar which goes back about 7 years & contains around 4300 entries. The BB Calendar copes OK with that but when I installed PI (which syncs with the BB calendar) it just can't seem to cope with the database. It runs slow and eventually locks up. I tried splitting the Calendar which did improve performance but then discovered that any changes I made in PI didnt copy over to BB. I've had a lot of experience with syncing with portable devices and also using PI. I would urge caution to anyone concidering using this version of PI. Despite the claims of WebIS I don't think the software is stable enough yet.
...or you could just have too much data for the app to handle. 7 years of past data will slow it down because it syncs to its own databases, which may not be optimized for that kind of load yet. If interested, get with Alex Kac at webis.net about that and he would take care of it for you. I have a similiar issue and so the more of us that complain the better!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
Liquid_Len

Cheers for that
Old 12-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

why do you have 7 years of data? Time to purge there buddy.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted

So all this just confirms that at this point in time JSanders answer was accurate and I have to agree; built in BB PIM and Outlook work best.

With one exception though; gotta have ToDoMatrix! Rocks! But having said that, it depends on your needs.

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #15
Liquid_Len

Default Pocket Informant 1.5 - feedback

Just some feed back on PI v1.5 which I installed a couple of weeks ago. This is the version which syncs directly with Outlook rather than the BB PIM. It does this via an add-in which it installs in the Desktop.

No problems with in the install but jeez what a ball ache the sync was. At first it didnt work at all but after a bit of fiddling around with the sync settings it worked - but only synced future items.

I eventually managed to get all the events synced by syncing with the BB PIM via the internal PI settings first then using the add-in sync.

When I ran PI it was dog slow with page changes taking 10 secs - basically unusable. So all in all a disappointing experience. I think I'll stick with the BB PIM until PI improves, as I'm sure it will, with future versions.

Len
Old 03-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
saqer

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

+1 for Pocket Informant. I had it for Windows Mobile and it was the most powerful PIM app I had used. I don't the same functionality exists for the BB just yet, but I believe it has a lot of potential

I tried Agendus for Palm at one point in time and it was so, so.

I'm looking for an app that uses sound principles from some kind of renowned self-help contingency like that of Franklin, Covery, Ziglar, etc. I came across this app for windows mobile and Palm called DayNotez. It's along the lines of what I'm searching for. I'm also looking for an app like Quanto (by same developer), which basically graphs time usage into trends. Natara Quanto time measurement tool for the Palm Computing Platform
Old 03-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #17
saqer

Carrier: Sprint

To answer my question I guess REXwireless' ToDoMatrix uses Franklin/Covey principles. If it weren't so expensive! I guess it's worth the money if it one utilizes it effectively.

I would also like to suggest Student Docket which is a specific PIM for students.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #18
Crupp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 249e66f1
Carrier: AT&T

PI issues. I am a long time user of PI when I was a WinMo user and loved it!! HOwever when i loaded 1.5 I was pretty disappointed with the interface, especially the contacts. Worst of all when I removed PI I got an "App 200" error and had to re-load my OS...not good.

I do think PI will get it right in time.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #19
Rooster99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus

First off, do a Search in this Aftermarket Software forum for Task, Agendus, etc. There's a thread there that I started where I gave a fair bit of feedback from my review of a dozen different Task/PIM apps. I finally settled on PI 1.5 as I had some specific Task management requirements that only PI could address. I also found that it had the best user interface of all of them - as a long term Palm user I've been really spoiled, and while PI isn't perfect, it still feels the best on a touch screen. I'm running a Storm 9530 with .76.

To respond to a couple of different points raised here :

1) Data volume shouldn't be a problem with the sync - I have 10+ year's data and thousands of contacts and sync with no issue. Changing pages in PI isn't a problem either - speed is fine. Mind you, I set it up so that Outlook syncs to the native PIM and PI syncs to the native PIM as well - that way 3rd party apps that work with reminders (BerryBuzz, etc.) work fine. I haven't tried the direct Outlook/PI sync - that doesn't do what I want.

2) Sorry, but the native BB Task PIM sucks, really really badly. It doesn't display due date, there are only 3 priorities available, and you can't group by Category. So essentially you get a great big list of every single outstanding Task with no way to tell relative importance or urgency. There is no way you can manage Tasks that way. As a long term Palm user I was amazed that RIM would even release that app. Did I mention how badly it sucks? Sorry, Task management is really important to me, and when I switched from my Palm I was really choked that RIM had shortchanged me on this app so badly - bad RIM, bad bad RIM!

3) ToDoMatrix loads all data on external servers - a very very important point that anyone looking at it needs to be aware of. For me this was a deal breaker - but if you're ok with that it's got a TON of fans.

4) If you're a long time Palm user you're going to be disappointed with any app on your Storm. The Palm apps were all written from the ground up for an operating system written from the ground up for a touch screen. The Storm is running an OS with a touch screen layer on top of a keyboard oriented OS and all apps are limited by that. I won't give my BB up and go back to a Palm, but that's the reality of it - the Storm has a way to go, and RIM needs to really think hard about optimizing for a touch screens.

Overall I'd try the trial of PI 1.5.

- R.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #20
rgaines

I have a BB Curve. I use it for personal use. I have Outlook on my laptop but it's for business and I don't use BES. Can I sync my BB to this Outlook as well?
Closed Thread