Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
vhato
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T
Default I just don't understand Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I was issued an 8530 from Verizon a week ago as a backup device and at first I thought all was great.

Then the users started calling and saying they just can't work with them like they did with the AT&Ts. I figured they were all idiots because the device seemed like a mildly scaled down 9700...then it hit me.

Aside from it being stripped of a fast CPU, remotely decent screen, nice control buttons, no rubberized back, autofocus, etc (the 8520 ain't better either)........I prayed the 9650 would be the solution then I tried to send an IM while on speakerphone only to be told I can't. So I switched to BBM and was gonna hit up another user, same problem. So I figure I will open the browser and find the info myself....NOPE.

I understood what my users were complaining about. Unless they were connected via WiFi, you can't use the telephone, speakerphone or even bluetooth ear piece while trying to work. A limitation of CDMA, that as I understand will still be issue with LTE.

So why does Verizon want to be a business tool when:

1. They always force consumers to compromise on hardware: The Storm 1 lacked WiFi (No excuse), the 9650 is a Bold with a slow(er) CPU, The Tour lacks WiFi as well, the 8530 is barely competitive and recently released, etc..

2. The network cannot allow simultaneous voice and data traffic. All the more reason all devices should always have had WiFi, but still not a real solution.

The ONLY reason we may keep Verizon as backup is their network upgrades include microwave backhaul, so in the event of a natural disaster we can probably depend on Verizon for being there for us.

I am proud my users have embraced simultaneous voice and data and didn't even know it until we tried Verizon as an alternative and we learned about how Verizon's business plan encourages a reduction in work efficiency.

I'm just ranting. I had high hopes.

Last edited by vhato; 05-08-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Sounds to me like you didn't do your homework up front before you switched?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
vhato

Model: 9810

We didn't switch, just backup devices with out of state numbers. We were considering a switch if all went well, but it won't happen. Verizon gets placed in our desk drawers until the day comes we need them.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhato View Post
2. The network cannot allow simultaneous voice and data traffic. All the more reason all devices should always have had WiFi, but still not a real solution.
This is because it is an EDGE device and not 3g.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

VZW is not edge, it's 3G, and it has nothing to do with that, its the CDMA Network. As soon as LTE comes out you will be able to make voice and data at the same time.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
VZW is not edge, it's 3G, and it has nothing to do with that, its the CDMA Network. As soon as LTE comes out you will be able to make voice and data at the same time.
Oh drr, missed its verizon.

Has verizon said they will be putting 2 radios in the LTE devices? If not, will be the same issue all over again
Old 05-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

No us cdma 3g can do data / voice

Lte on vz and on att will. I can't speak about wimax or sprint 4g since it has zero interest to me

I don't know how you could not see an att commercial over verizons 3g

p.s the bold on verizon will also be a slower process then the bold 9700 on att.

it has something to do with battery life, and cdma. over all i doubt you can tell the difference in 75 htz. or w/e it is. its small but slower then the 9700 cpu.

Last edited by wabbit; 05-08-2010 at 07:39 PM..
Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRinger View Post
Oh drr, missed its verizon.

Has verizon said they will be putting 2 radios in the LTE devices? If not, will be the same issue all over again
att has 1 radio. verizon will have 1 raido. etc. the data/voice has to do with cdma hard limits how cdma works. there is a very expensive cdma setup with data and voice, which verizon did not take the route. its how the phone works. and time slice of cdma technology.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRinger View Post
This is because it is an EDGE device and not 3g.
verizon is 3g. not edge.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

And the Verizon network tends to work in places that at&t does not.

I do agree that Verizon tends to have phones with features (or lack of them) that causes me to wonder if the drugs dogs need to be turned loose in their corporate offices.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #11
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I dont understand why a hotdog is called a hotdog????

Any help for me???
Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

We took a poll and you are way past help.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

@vhato,

The 8530 is considered a "low-end" consumer device. Not sure what you expected from it. If you look at it in that light, it's a pretty slick device--depends on your view and needs. "Remotely decent" and "nice" are hard to quantify. Is a rubberized back that critical? I think you're purpose for posting was to do an AT&T commercial. :-/

What line of work are you in that people need to be on their mobile phones and use messenger and other data at the same time?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I miss simultaneous voice & data that I had with AT&T, but I don't miss their network. 3G on my Bold was as slow as EDGE, sometimes worse, and dropped calls were a problem. Now with Sprint (which roams for free onto Verizon) I never drop a call. The downside is, of course, if I'm talking on the phone and waiting for a file via email, I'm out of luck. I have to hang up and call back when I receive it. Total trade-off.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
Briant392
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I miss simultaneous voice & data that I had with AT&T, but I don't miss their network. 3G on my Bold was as slow as EDGE, sometimes worse, and dropped calls were a problem. Now with Sprint (which roams for free onto Verizon) I never drop a call. The downside is, of course, if I'm talking on the phone and waiting for a file via email, I'm out of luck. I have to hang up and call back when I receive it. Total trade-off.
Yeah, I noticed that the other day as well. I have verizon and I wondering that was the case or not. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #16
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

The only way you can get simultaneous voice and data with a CDMA provider is if the device has WiFi, you turned the WiFi radio on, and are successfully attached to a WiFi network.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Just curious... could the lack of Wi fi on vzw until just recently be due to all their government contracts? I.E government not wanting a bunch of people running around with wi-fi.

Last edited by daphne; 06-17-2010 at 12:24 AM..
Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Just curious... could the lack of Wi fi on vzw until just recently be due to all their government contracts? I.E government not wanting a bunch of people running around with wi-fi.
Could be, who knows. Maybe they were trying to find a way to nickel and dime their customers for using WiFi with a new app like VZWiFi. Kind of like how they blocked GPS except for VZNavigator a few years back
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

You don't know how quickly I would jump from VZW if they did that.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
SpectreBlofeld

Model: 9630

Verizon didn't design these phones. Verizon isn't even the only carrier that carry these models. There are CDMA carriers in Canada, you know, which is where these things come from. And there's Sprint, Metro, US Cellular, and the like in the US that all use CDMA and carry these handsets. As for complaints about the quality of the 8530, remember that it's the phone that VZW sells for a whopping $29 on contract. I wouldn't expect must more than a glorified feature phone at that price, personally.

Not to say that the complaints about the quality of CDMA Blackberries aren't valid, of course, but look around at CDMA blackberries around the world, in other US carriers, Canada itself, Mexico, India, South Korea, China, etc - no other carrier has any nicer ones than VZW. In short, while worthy of a rant, the rant should be pointed squarely at RIM, IMHO. Verizon doesn't dictate the manufacture and quality of Blackberry phones for the whole world.
Closed Thread