Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
This is incorrect. All you NEED is to have the Blackberry Device Manager installed. That gets installed when you install the Desktop Manager, so do that.

Once you have that, you can use the Wizard Dial-Up Networking to create a dial-up connection that uses your BB as a modem. Initiate that connection and you'll be connected to the Internet via VZW dial-up tethering.

Search for earlier posts from me if you need details on setting up the DUN connection parameters.

The last several times I re-installed Windows from scratch, I never installed any VZW software at all - just the BB DM, and re-setup VZW tethering this way and it worked fine.
Stuart while you are correct DC was answering the question how do I do it legitimately. To be legit (with Vzw) you have to use verizons software.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Stuart while you are correct DC was answering the question how do I do it legitimately. To be legit (with Vzw) you have to use verizons software.
I don't recall seeing anything in the Terms of Service that requires me to use their software, as long as I'm paying the tethering fee. I could, of course, be wrong. And the dial-up version of tethering will not work without paying VZW the fee. So, I believe my answer was, in fact, the correct answer to how to do it legitimately.
Verizon 9550
Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Look it doesnt matter to me one way or another. I just know that when I set mine up I asked if I could do it your way, I was told with out hesitation no. I said it works that way, they said it may work that way but they did not support it and if I had troubles they would not help. They said I had to use the VZW access in order to comply with my contract.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #24
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
I don't recall seeing anything in the Terms of Service that requires me to use their software, as long as I'm paying the tethering fee. I could, of course, be wrong. And the dial-up version of tethering will not work without paying VZW the fee. So, I believe my answer was, in fact, the correct answer to how to do it legitimately.
If you're paying then that's fine.

That said, using their software optimizes the connection, so it is actually advantageous to you to use it.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #25
StuartV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Look it doesnt matter to me one way or another. I just know that when I set mine up I asked if I could do it your way, I was told with out hesitation no. I said it works that way, they said it may work that way but they did not support it and if I had troubles they would not help. They said I had to use the VZW access in order to comply with my contract.
They won't support it or help you with it is NOT AT ALL the same as "you're not allowed to do it (under the terms of your contract)".
Verizon 9550
Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #26
StuartV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
If you're paying then that's fine.

That said, using their software optimizes the connection, so it is actually advantageous to you to use it.
Really? Have you benchmarked it?

I have not benchmarked it comparing their software to straight DUN, but I have benchmarked it comparing their software with Venturi versus without. Venturi is their piece of software that runs under the VZW Connection Manager to "optimize" the connection. There is an option in the software to turn Venturi on and off. In my testing, I found no significant advantage to using Venturi, and I often had troubles with my connections that went away once I turned Venturi off.

I *never* had trouble with my connections when using straight DUN and eliminating the VZW software completely. And I have gotten 1.5 - 1.6 Mbps downloads using straight DUN, when using the Speakeasy.net Speedtest.
Verizon 9550
Old 04-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
They won't support it or help you with it is NOT AT ALL the same as "you're not allowed to do it (under the terms of your contract)".
like I said it doesnt matter to me one way or the other as long as they pay for the servcie and dont steal it
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #28
SpectreBlofeld

Model: 9630

If TetherBerry had a free trial, I might end up buying it - but i'm not shelling out sixty bucks for something I can't test first.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #29
Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreBlofeld View Post
If TetherBerry had a free trial, I might end up buying it - but i'm not shelling out sixty bucks for something I can't test first.
They have a 30 day money back guarantee. You won't be disappointed, at least I wasn't.

Give it a go!