Old 11-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
bluedevils
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: BOLD
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Hi-Pitch Noise When Activating Speakerphone

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else encounter a very annoying and house fire alarm noise for no better way of explaining it when switching there Bold to Speakerphone? It is a squeal that does not stop unless de-activating speakerphone.

This never happened at beginning, but definitely since upgrading along the way somehow.

Everything else seems good and no issues other than the known and outstanding bugs members post.

I have an Otterbox and no drop with or without has happened.

Interested to know.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
ZennBerry

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

Hi,

Here's my post cut and pasted from Crackberry.com:

---------
Anyone know of this issue and/or fix?

The speakerphone on my Bold produces a serious loud feedback whine if I get my hand anywhere near the audio ports. While the whine is being produced I can put my finger over the Mic hole and the whine instantly stops. This suggests an issue with the accustics of the phone.

BUT.....

This problem did not occur on OS version .167 (the same OS that came with the phone). The feedback started AFTER upgrading to OS .185. Numerous battery pulls don't change a thing.

I know...I should just go back to .67, right? Well, that's the OS that is producing serious memory leaks and crashes the phone. So,......live with virtually no speakerphone, or go back to crashing? hmmm....

Anyone have any ideas or more info?

-joe

----------------------------

***** Then I did some work and posted the following update:

----------------------------

Me Again.......

I just went through a downgrade to .167. The feedback is now completely gone. BUT....memory problems back and OS is slow, just like before.

The speakerphone feedback while on .185 was piercing (very beyond annoying and into wincing). BBOS .185 comes from Italy and I'm on At&t. I'm wondering what is different between the two carriers. Do they have different radio frequencies therefore the OS is meant for a Bold that uses different frequencies?.......that somehow set up a resonance that interferes with speakerphone acoustics? I have no idea, just missmash knowledge.

Original post and this one suggest not really a defect (yet), but somehow tied to what .185 is doing that .167 is not.

Food for thought:
.185 has better battery life. Would a change in battery usage/drain cause this? What about how the radios are being managed? Maybe .185 powers the Mic and Speakerphone differently than .167, but that would mean Italy and USA have different hardware.

Any other thoughts?

I REALLY liked the battery life, speed and no mem leaks of .185, but speakerphone is a big part of how I 'need' to communicate (headsets not really an option). Honestly, I should not have to pick and choose which basic features I want to keep. This is almost 2009, right?

I'll keep researchin' and lookin around for more info and report anything I find here. I got a running post at Blackberry Support Forums too. Nothing yet from there.

-j
Old 11-22-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
leed1

I am relieved to see I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I thought I messed something up when I changed over to the black bezel. Hopefully a fix comes soon, I can't use the speakerphone like this.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
arabcamel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

I have that issue with .167, although it's not to the point where I have to pull the phone away from my ear, but it is very annoying and a high pitch sound. Are you guys having this issue?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:19 AM   #5
Ems5000

Im having the same problem. When i took off my otterbox it stopped ... strange
Old 12-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
YoYoSlap
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

all these problems and no answers!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
SteveSter1

Carrier: ATT

Anyone with the .190 having this problem?? Maybe the solution is to upgrade not downgrade.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
YoYoSlap
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

i am having same problem on my bold i just upraded to .190 on. trying to figure out how to downgrade my upgrade
Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
mjbanks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I get a high pitch whine/buzz from the earpiece when I'm using the phone, not the speakerphone. I'm getting that on my replacement Bold (first one had bad battery life, they replaced the whole phone). If I press the phone to my ear a little harder than normal, it's very very evident. Holding it against my head normally, I can hear it enough that it's very annoying.

Just want to know if this is something that I should get it replaced for. It's still within 30 days, but I've already had it replaced once. Best Buy prob won't be too happy with me...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

I experienced this as well. I returned the device, and my 2nd bold no longer has this issue.

"i think its a defect" Not everyone can hear this whine either. It sounded like "feedback" to be honest or interference.

Last edited by scaevola; 12-08-2008 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: more description
Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
mjbanks

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaevola
I experienced this as well. I returned the device, and my 2nd bold no longer has this issue.
Yeah I got mine replaced as well and this new one works great. No high pitch noise.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #12
BaRTiMuS
Thumbs Must Hurt

A number of users in the "My Bold with black bezel" thread are attributing this to not transferring the "mesh" on the bottom and top speaker phone ports of the bezel. I did not transfer them and I noticed this sound for the first time this weekend. I have had my Bold since September and had the black bezel ever since it came out.

I didn't think it would have anything to do with that mesh.. but it may have something to do with how the phone is put together.. so these guys take it a part, put the mesh on, put it back together and tighten the screws a bit better or something and the sound goes away. Then they attribute it to the mesh.

So you guys have not switched your bezels to the black ones right?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #13
mjbanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaRTiMuS View Post
A number of users in the "My Bold with black bezel" thread are attributing this to not transferring the "mesh" on the bottom and top speaker phone ports of the bezel. I did not transfer them and I noticed this sound for the first time this weekend. I have had my Bold since September and had the black bezel ever since it came out.

I didn't think it would have anything to do with that mesh.. but it may have something to do with how the phone is put together.. so these guys take it a part, put the mesh on, put it back together and tighten the screws a bit better or something and the sound goes away. Then they attribute it to the mesh.

So you guys have not switched your bezels to the black ones right?
Mine has no modifications at all. Straight out the box with an 8gb MicroSD card.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
scaevola

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbanks View Post
Mine has no modifications at all. Straight out the box with an 8gb MicroSD card.
Ditto. I'm using the standard att branded one. Day one I noticed it, returned it that night. Unit #2 did have that issue.

I think might be a ill-aligned something if aftermarket bezels are causing the same issue. Just my 2cents.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #15
BaRTiMuS
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree, definitely something to do with the construction of the device.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
Mandizzle

Model: 9800
PIN: 2322E11D

I'm on .190 and having this problem. I've had it right from the beginning regardless of the o/s i've used.

I don't really use speaker phone too much so it's not a big deal to me but I might consider doing a warranty swap just for the heck of it.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #17
rockinfigs

Carrier: ATT

ok heres my take..i switched my bezel to black and but never noticed the high pitch speakerphone noise.. but one day after switching to .190 it started doing it when im in speakerphone and i cover the right speaker with my hand or whatever...someone said its the os..so i switched back to .167 and voila the feedback noise is GONE!!.. so its gotta be something to do with os.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
arabcamel
Thumbs Must Hurt

the only solution to this is to get a replacement. Since this phone was released in November, everyone's phone at this point is till under warranty assuming that you didn't drop it or get liquid damage.

Call your service provider and they will exchange the phone for you.

I just spoke with a rep on the phone and they had me reset the phone by pulling the battery while it is on, then I wiped the phone back to factory defaults and that didn't work either. Final step is to replace it for me free of charge.

Again, I beleive this is the only resolution out there. It's a manufacturer defect.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #19
Wirelezz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Just Ask
Default replace

Well im getting mine replaced with a new one since its only a week old.
But 167 190 and 214 did not give me any feedback problems in speaker mode, all the other ones did especially 210.
214 is perfect!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #20
arabcamel
Thumbs Must Hurt

I see. I have AT&T and the newest one for AT&T is 167, which gave me problems..
Closed Thread