BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #41
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

i had a treo and just switched to a pearl...i have no problem with the keyboard although i do prefer the qwerty (anxiously awaiting the Curve to Sprint)...ive never done suretype...ive always used multitap and im able to type fast that way.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #42
jonbtheman

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I just switched from an 8703e to the 8130, and it took me all of 2 hours to get used to SureType. It's remarkably good at figuring out what I'm trying to type - MUCH better than the 7130. I also prefer the QWERTY, except I'm anxiously awaiting the Curve on Verizon - 4Q09?
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 AM   #43
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

end of 09...thats ridiculous...better not be that long on Sprint I keep hearing mid 08
Old 12-16-2007, 12:35 AM   #44
jonbtheman

I have no idea - I've seen people speculating about 1Q or 2Q08 on these forums, but I never hold my breath with the VZW, as they're notoriously slow with phone releases. I'll keep my fingers crossed
Old 12-16-2007, 01:27 AM   #45
dbabe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by livspop View Post
Better pack some short-sleeved shirts for the afterlife....
LOL I guess I used it so much that my Pearl finally decided to add it to the Custom Wordlist. And I'm Catholic too.. shame on me!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #46
F34R
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3183666D
Carrier: Alltel

just a little update. I'm getting more used to the way you need to input on the Pearl. I'm getting a LITTLE faster. The more confident I am that the Pearl is doing its' job, the more I can NOT look at the screen and concentrate on the actual "typing". While I was much faster using a standard keypad approach, after nearly 8 years using it, I am finding that I am getting better with the SureType faster than I did the other way.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #47
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I was much faster on the Pearl and 7100t (and you will get used to it and see what I mean) than I am on my 8320. I like the large screen on my 8320 but I really miss SureType.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #48
Girion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: T of Guinness plz

I've long been a fan of SureType, and highly recommend that any who are thinking of trying it go to a store and test use the phone for themselves.

While there are folks that just have to have the full keyboard, I find that I'm not one of them. The size and sheer usability of the SureType keyboard far outweigh any supposed advantage of having a keyboard with 1 letter per key.

At first, I like many thought I would never get used to ST on my 7130e, and then (overnight it seemed like) I was flying through whole e-mail messages in no time at all. In fact, with my Verizon Pearl, I often reply to e-mail on my phone rather than fire up the laptop because I am every bit as fast on my Pearl with SureType as I am on a laptop keyboard. And with my 8830 for example, the keyboard layout and phone design were just too small and cramped for me to really consider it useful.

But again, I would highly recommend any who are considering it to try it out before buying. You'd not have to look far on these forums to find a great many folks who are faster on SureType keyboards than they are on full QWERTY. So there must be something to it, yes?

"For pretty things that serve no use, the true art finds its tether.
To those who know illumination comes wickless in the nether."
Old 12-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #49
graciespeaks

Carrier: alltel

Quote:
Better pack some short-sleeved shirts for the afterlife....
Actually she is right. Correct xmas a few times then it will do it from then on.

Last edited by graciespeaks; 12-17-2007 at 10:26 PM..
Old 12-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #50
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciespeaks View Post
Actually she is right. Correct xmas a few times then it will do it from then on!
(correct when it misses the first letter.)
I know. I was just kiddin around. Don't tell my priest, but I also use xmas and it took ST one time to learn it. I'm sure God understands that when you've only got 160 characters you gotta do what you gotta do...
Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #51
graciespeaks

Carrier: alltel

Quote:
I know. I was just kiddin around. Don't tell my priest, but I also use xmas and it took ST one time to learn it. I'm sure God understands that when you've only got 160 characters you gotta do what you gotta do...
ohhhhhh

hehe
Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #52
surfingchicken

Carrier: verizon
Default Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastdog View Post
Well I went from a treo to the pearl, and the key noard is not the issue per se it is that dog gone sure type. I HATE IT. Three days and I hate it hate it hate it. It still does not learn the words, it will not let me just type the words, and if I could figure out how to turn it off I would.

I would tell anyone that uses it to turn it off. It is one of the worst features I have ever seen on a phone.

Honestly, my whole BB experience has been frustrating, this just ads to it. Like when I am trying to type no problem and it goes not, night now and then for problem it goes to profile, professional, then when I finally get it to prob it goes back to earn? I dont get it, and it does not seem to make typing faster, just the opposite.

But the keyboards is not that big of an issue in size, from a full size.
Dude... If you can't figure out how to turn off SureType and enable Multitap you dont need a phone with anything more than 10 numbers on it. I agree with the others... SureType is not only fast but incredibly smart. And for reference to enable Multitap you just use the BB menu button while your cursor is in a text window and select "Enable Multitap". SureType is the best word prediction technology I've ever used.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #53
artie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10

Suretype is not for everybody. At first, I thought I had made a mistake getting the 8130 instead of waiting on the Curve, then all of a sudden, it clicked(cute hugh). I think it's great. All the advice on this thread from the people that got the hang of it is perfect. Thank you.
Practice, practice, practice...
Old 02-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #54
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne
Carrier: AT&T

It's so funny, my dad was so against getting a pearl because it wasn't a qwerty keyboard, but the tmobile people talked him into it instead of the tmobile Dash..
(He came from a Moto Q) It's been 2 weeks, and he's still complaining about the small keys and the "auto text"
Maybe it's an age thing though? I was texting everyone before we even had the phones out the door, and I loved it. Other than clearing the wordlist every few days of random junk spellings, its so much faster than even T9 was with my razr..
and I must admit, I love that so far I have yet to see my custom words get deleted because I have "too many"
Nothing like trying to swear at someone and coming up with some random word because my phone can't remember my word of choice ;)
Closed Thread