BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
thatboiwes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
PIN: 22D1C6A9
Carrier: at&t
Default Just Recieved my Extended Battery!

Please Login to Remove!

My extended battery came in the mail today! I didn't 'condition' my last battery but I will be sure to do it to this one, although some members feel as if doesn't matter. Since I just got it, obviously, I haven't had a chance to experiement with it. I generally got 3-4 days of use out of my stock battery, so I'm hoping for, at least, a full week's worth with the extended battery. Once I get it drained and charged again, I'll post my use for the day, and the percentage the battery is at.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
jrusso2006
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

Not heard of this one before. What is the part number? Is it a RIM product, or second party? Where'd you get it?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
boles

Model: 8700c

I, too, look forward to your usage reports!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
thatboiwes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
PIN: 22D1C6A9
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusso2006
Not heard of this one before. What is the part number? Is it a RIM product, or second party? Where'd you get it?

Yes, it is a RIM product. Check out the link below to take you to a different thread about it which has pictures.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...tended+battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by boles
I, too, look forward to your usage reports!

My usage isn't quite as heavy as some or even most people's on these forums. On avarage, I do about 5 e-mails, 25-50 sms messages, 2 hours of talk time and about 1 hour worth of browsing the internet.

Last edited by thatboiwes; 03-24-2006 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
DLH

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboiwes
Yes, it is a RIM product. Check out the link below to take you to a different thread about it which has pictures.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...tended+battery

My usage isn't quite as heavy as some or even most people's on these forums. On avarage, I do about 5 e-mails, 25-50 sms messages, 2 hours of talk time and about 1 hour worth of browsing the internet.
Are you certain that this is a RIM product? I contacted RIM about the extended battery and they suggested NOT. Mainly because of the drop factor. The tech told me that the 8700 was not designed to carry the extra weight and upon impact with the additional weight the unit was at serious risk. Plus I could find nothing about extended batteries at the RIM site...

On a side note found it outrageous that they charge 17.95 for a users guide
Old 03-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH
Are you certain that this is a RIM product? I contacted RIM about the extended battery and they suggested NOT. Mainly because of the drop factor. The tech told me that the 8700 was not designed to carry the extra weight and upon impact with the additional weight the unit was at serious risk. Plus I could find nothing about extended batteries at the RIM site...

On a side note found it outrageous that they charge 17.95 for a users guide

What????

RIM never has the leading edge of their own offerings on their website - historically they are always behind. Maybe you should reference the various threads on this board and get up to speed on whats available.

I can see the product meetings now... "were spending all kinds of time, effort and energy on developing this extended battery for the 8700... whatever you do don't tell people it will work right or God forbid... recommend it!". Sounds like the tech you spoke with had his head up and locked.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 03-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Yeah, I can definatly vouch for RCG, anything he says is OEM from RIM, definatly is, I order from him all the time, and never buy any aftermarket accessories. Plus if the battery wasn't OEM it wouldn't work in your 8700 now would it...

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
DLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
What????

RIM never has the leading edge of their own offerings on their website - historically they are always behind. Maybe you should reference the various threads on this board and get up to speed on whats available.

I can see the product meetings now... "were spending all kinds of time, effort and energy on developing this extended battery for the 8700... whatever you do don't tell people it will work right or God forbid... recommend it!". Sounds like the tech you spoke with had his head up and locked.
Excuse me for asking. Typical---shoot the messenger--I was actually looking to buy one. My promise to you is to get up to speed on what's available. Being in the tech world your speculation of what happens in some product management meetings is not that far off
Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH
Excuse me for asking. Typical---shoot the messenger--I was actually looking to buy one. My promise to you is to get up to speed on what's available. Being in the tech world your speculation of what happens in some product management meetings is not that far off

I wasn't picking on you for delivering the message. But the context of your message implied that somehow OEM didn't exist... in particular your mention of the RIM tech saying it was "bad". We're all friends here so please don't take that personally - but someone running across your post might take it for gospel so I injected a little sarcasm.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
DLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
I wasn't picking on you for delivering the message. But the context of your message implied that somehow OEM didn't exist... in particular your mention of the RIM tech saying it was "bad". We're all friends here so please don't take that personally - but someone running across your post might take it for gospel so I injected a little sarcasm.
No harm no foul...I've been selling OEM solutions for many many years. And in my world OEM means more than simply adding-value or modifying. Placing my order for the extended battery today.

BTW--any thoughts on receiving a refurb to supposedly correct the dust spot problem?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
AlbertoM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

DHL- Good choice, I've been buying from SmartPhoneDepot and they have outstanding service, and rcg is as good as his word.

And I have dropped the phone with the extended battery. A scar or two, but it doesn't blow up.

Some cases do not fit the extended battery, all OEM do, check with rcg.

Getting a refurb versus new is a crap shoot, depends what they have in stock. OTOH, refurb will have the problem fixed....
Old 03-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

I have had good luck with refurb units from motorola iDEN but BlackBerry has been hit and miss... mostly hits but some stellar misses too. If I was odds making on the refurb question, 65/35 in favor of refurb.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:11 AM   #13
DLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
I have had good luck with refurb units from motorola iDEN but BlackBerry has been hit and miss... mostly hits but some stellar misses too. If I was odds making on the refurb question, 65/35 in favor of refurb.
Thanks---Maybe it's just me but everything about the refurb seems better--reception, speaker, and the font size on the keyboard is a bit larger. Don't know if the dust problem has been corrected as light still luminates from the keyboard. Time will tell.

Placing my order for the extended battery now.

Thanks rcg!!
Closed Thread