Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att
Default since bes 4.0 pim synch doesnt allow synching w public

Please Login to Remove!

contacts folder, we moved all the user's personal (not a pst) default contacts to a new contacts folder in their mailbox named usernamecontacts.

because we dont want users to change that public address book, we set synching to one way from server.

then i copied the all the contacts from the public contacts folder to the user's default contacts folder.

resent the service book and the user got the contacts ok.

question: is there a way in exchange to automatically update that outlook mailbox default contacts folder with the exchange folder. maybe "groups" and use of "cached mode"?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
smandell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Woahh! Finally, someone in the same boat as me! Did you find a way to do this using exchange server? I don't want to have to do it manually for 200+ people.

Why didn't you just copy the public folder into their contacts folder, that way it still syncs their personal contacts then does the public contacts in the subfolder?

We still need an automated way to do this to keep any changes made in the public folder current on their bb's

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
greywolfe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: optus

It says clearly in the manual that BDS doesnt support either synching or redirecting from public folders. So dont do it
Old 03-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
smandell

We know it doesn't do it. We're trying to find a workaround.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
adam28if

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I have a great workaround: Get some Treos with GoodLink.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
udontknowjack

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolfe
It says clearly in the manual that BDS doesnt support either synching or redirecting from public folders. So dont do it
Yes, but many people do sync to public folders and with 4.0, the big deal is wireless sync, but NOT if you sync to a public folder. I synch my public contact folder using Outlook PCS. I have to mannualy click the button every week or so to get updates but it works pretty well. All the public folder contacts are in my personal contact list but it adds a category to each one so I can easily filter them if I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam28if
I have a great workaround: Get some Treos with GoodLink.
Are you saying Goodlink will wirelessly sync public folders? I didn't think they could do it either.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
smandell

GoodLink does do wireless sync with public folders but, we're not about to make such a dramatic change.

Udontknowjack,
Can you explain what you're doing with Outlook PCS to sync your personal and public folders?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2005, 07:49 AM   #8
Drork

Model: 8707
Carrier: Orange Israel
Default Metamessege

Check the Metamessege application by onset technology
Old 08-17-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
udontknowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by smandell
Udontknowjack,
Can you explain what you're doing with Outlook PCS to sync your personal and public folders?

Thanks
I simply use outlook PCS to sync my public folder. I puts it in my contact list with a category of PCS so I can filter on that if I wnat. Then, when my contacts sync wirelessly, I get all the public folder stuff. I just click the button on my outlook for PCS sync every week or so and it get's updates from the public folder.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:18 PM   #10
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

smandell - This product has been recommended to me elsewhere on this forum, and it apparently can synchronize Contacts in a Public Folder to users' default Contacts folders:

http://www.itrezzo.com/EPS_BlackBerry_PIN_to_PIN.htm

I have no experience with the product; just looking it over now, myself.

udontknowjack - Is "Outlook PCS" the download available from Microsoft? If so, have you found that it works with OL2003? Documentation says only OL2000 & OL2002.

Last edited by JRV; 08-17-2005 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Corrected URL
Old 08-17-2005, 10:09 PM   #11
udontknowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV
udontknowjack - Is "Outlook PCS" the download available from Microsoft? If so, have you found that it works with OL2003? Documentation says only OL2000 & OL2002.
Yes it is the download from Microsoft and I am using it with my Outlook 2003 now. Works just fine.

I have also tested the Itrezzo product. Works pretty well. It just puts a sub folder of contacts in your contact list. Has a hefty price tag. Outlook PCS is free and if you just want to sync to personal folders it does the job.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:25 PM   #12
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

udontknowjack, thanks for the info. My client needs a solution that can be implemented centrally for all users, so PCS is not an option. And we also need Nextel DCIDs.

But Itrezzo is promising, although, as you say, pricey. Glad to hear it works well. My biggest fear would be that the next version of BES adds the ability to push Nextel DCIDs and Public Folders...it would probably be released the same day we got Itrezzo running!
Closed Thread