Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T
Default First Pictures of new RAZRBERRY

Please Login to Remove!

I am drooling after seeing this unit and its specifications. Holly batman this thing is cool. I want one now!

More info here: http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000577048252/

Picture:

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Rancor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7730
Carrier: Zefr

Solitaire, IrDA and a camera!
Kick it to me, Kick it to me!!!!
Old 06-26-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100

Cool, but I'm not sure I'd want Windows over the BlackBerry OS. Question: would this thing work without making any changes to my Cingular data plan?

And by the way, I wouldn't call those "pictures"...they're more like sketches.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
barjohn

I'm one of those nuts that actually likes the MS software. I especially like the voice recognition and dialing capabilities. It looks like with OS-5 we get the best of Smartphone and PPC in one. I hope they offer BB Connect.

Yea they aren't really pictures, just renderings. Check for the PPT that these came from for more info.

Active PIN 203A5535

Last edited by barjohn; 06-26-2005 at 10:54 PM..
Old 06-26-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Thanks but one awful crashing OS on my work PC is more than enough to deal with on a day to day basis, last thing I need is a phone that does the same... I'll stick with my BB thanks!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
barjohn

Well, I used to think the Blackberry OS was solid but it shure hasn't been with the new Blackberries. All you need to do is read the threads to see the numerous problems. Seems like any new OS will go through its bleeding edge period and we are sort of dripping if you get my jist.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-27-2005, 01:01 AM   #7
Rancor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7730
Carrier: Zefr
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
Thanks but one awful crashing OS on my work PC is more than enough to deal with on a day to day basis, last thing I need is a phone that does the same... I'll stick with my BB thanks!
What, you don't think a Blackberry can crash?
Two words (more like an acronym and a word)

"JVM Error!"
Old 06-27-2005, 01:38 AM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I have got to say that this does look like something RIM would be very worried about. There has been significant improvements to the Microsoft product, in my personal experience (I test with several devices)...

Let's see what Electron brings. It looks like it has met it match though!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 06-27-2005, 01:38 AM   #9
barjohn

If Motorola can bring this out soon it will spur RIM to bring the Elektron out quicker. Then we can compare and decide which one meets our needs better. I really like the thinness so you can stick it in a shirt pocket.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-27-2005, 01:43 AM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

One of my big concerns with this unit would be fragility. I like the fact that BlackBerries have survived far worse abuse than most cellphones. (At least for the 62XX/72XX/67XX/77XX series). I have wrecked 3 iPaq's and 0 BlackBerries since Year 2001.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 06-27-2005, 01:56 AM   #11
barjohn

I just discovered an interesting fact. If you scale the picture in word and print it out you get an accurate size representation. It turns out that the screen is almost exactly the same size as the 7100t's screen turned side ways. However at 320x240 it will be much higher resolution. The keyboard appears to be quite usable at this size.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-27-2005, 04:58 AM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I dont know what OS you are running on your PC but Ihave had my XP going on three years now and not a single crash. As for BB OS it has its fair share of problems as well. I look forward to competition for RIM it will only make them put out better products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
Old 06-27-2005, 05:47 AM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

If anyone ever tried the MPx200, they would know true meaning of a lousy OS, coupled with incredibly poor performance. Throw in some lousy technology (terrible RF and only two GSM bands) and you have a really crappy phone. But since the PPC screen background was already blue, I was halfway there to a Blue Screen of Death. It will be a while before I buy another Motorola "Smartphone".
Old 06-27-2005, 08:34 AM   #14
dulcamara

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT
Default Just what I need, a camera.

Moto has missed the security bus. Why must this thing have a camera and removable memory. I do business with the gummit and those two things are verboten at the national labs I work with.

Only RIM seems to get the security thing.

Last edited by dulcamara; 06-28-2005 at 12:58 PM..
Old 06-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #15
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
I have got to say that this does look like something RIM would be very worried about. There has been significant improvements to the Microsoft product, in my personal experience (I test with several devices)...

Let's see what Electron brings. It looks like it has met it match though!
Mark has hit it dead-on here guys.

Microsoft can afford to give away their server-side components.

I see no reason why anyone will be using a BES inside the next 18 months. ActiveSync and devices such as this running Windows Mobile will kill RIM for one reason and one reason only: they'll beat'em on price.

RIM needs to start giving away the BES software as soon as possible, and get out of the hardware business completely. The only way they will be able to compete in this space soon is on free server software and licensing the BBConnect technology to other vendors.

Employees like to bring their own equipment to the office, Microsoft will let them, RIM doesn't. Employers like to leverage "stuff we already have" and not buy more - with ActiveSync being included in Exchange soon, that means some bozo MCSE just has to go back, crack their knuckles and click a mouse to enable mobile email.

The biggest losers of the bunch will be Good - who will be further marginalized by ActiveSync and completely outted.

Last edited by sempai; 06-27-2005 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: s/12/18
Old 06-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #16
udontknowjack

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have to agree with Sempai and Mark as well. I'm a big fan or RIM have been an evangelist for them for years but if Someone can produce something doing the same thing with the same security at no real additional cost to us. I will look long and hard at it. Especially, with RIM's T-Support pricing going through the roof. Starting in January, I have to pay for each BES plus $25 per device. Last year I paid $7200 for TX2, This year, I will pay over $10,000. If I can get rid of that overhead and a couple os servers, that is a big savings.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:04 PM   #17
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
I have to agree with Sempai and Mark as well. I'm a big fan or RIM have been an evangelist for them for years but if Someone can produce something doing the same thing with the same security at no real additional cost to us. I will look long and hard at it. Especially, with RIM's T-Support pricing going through the roof. Starting in January, I have to pay for each BES plus $25 per device. Last year I paid $7200 for TX2, This year, I will pay over $10,000. If I can get rid of that overhead and a couple os servers, that is a big savings.
Paying over 10,000 USD a year for what Microsoft will *give you* for free.

ActiveSync has already been picked up by Nokia, SE, Samsung, MOT, et al - why will Corporate America, already drinking the MSExchange Kool-Aid, continue giving more money to RIM when they can do the same thing with what they have?

Nevermind the improvements that using a BlackBerry brings - the great keyboard, the fast UI, and easy shortcuts - on a balance sheet they're both just ways of getting emails into your pocket, and "free" will trump "ten thousand yew ess dollars" every day of the week.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:10 PM   #18
southwestcomm

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

You are all fooling yourselves if you think Microworst will give provide a less expensive solution than the BES or it will work. The push Email platform will only work on a specific Exchange 2003 box and only a certain, but not yet announced Windows Mobile platform. This will be a money making venture for Microworst forcing people to upgrade servers and devices.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:31 PM   #19
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
You are all fooling yourselves if you think Microworst will give provide a less expensive solution than the BES or it will work. The push Email platform will only work on a specific Exchange 2003 box and only a certain, but not yet announced Windows Mobile platform. This will be a money making venture for Microworst forcing people to upgrade servers and devices.
As much as I'd like to believe that they'll screw this up, what is your source for them requiring a Windows Mobile device?

The licensees for ActiveSync - including email - are Nokia, Sony Ericsson, and others. They're not making Windows Mobile devices and have no roadmap to do so. They're very much married to Symbian.

I don't think your statement is accurate.

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200502/980375_5.html

Quote:
The collaboration between the two companies will allow Nokia to build a direct over-the-air synchronization link between Nokia enterprise mobile devices running on Nokia's Series 60 and Series 80 software platforms and Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 for email and other personal information management (PIM) data, such as calendar information and contacts. By integrating the Exchange Server ActiveSync protocol into Nokia devices, enterprise customers are provided with an easy-to-use, secure, wireless email solution that is cost-effective and can be deployed quickly and easily. Nokia will continue to support the OMA Data Synchronization protocol and its own Nokia PC Suite, a local connectivity solution that utilizes OMA Data Synchronization for PCs and Nokia mobile devices.
They say it will work on Series 60 and Series 80; and not Windows Mobile.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #20
bbmember
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230

I hear a lot of people saying "ITS FREE ITS FREE" about the MS solution. What about security? I am sure many of you guys have spent hours of time applying patches for MS products? Every week there are security patches released for their products. Also a lot of third party apps have to be applied on corporate network to keep things secure. Have you ever taught about that cost? Recently Gartner has commented negatively about the security of MS Direct Push Email solution. Another point to note that applying patches to all devices in case of a security issue will be very expensive and time consuming from a network admin point of view. So my point is if its FREE then expect only so much.

Last edited by bbmember; 06-27-2005 at 05:49 PM..
Closed Thread