Old 06-29-2005, 07:40 AM   #41
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
This brings up a great question begging to be asked. How can RIM or T-Mobile consider the Microsoft option after T-Mobile has invested so much in BlackBerry. Last thing I read was T-Mo sells the most BB's, if that is the case would they really try and jump ship? Thoughts on this would be appriciated.
It doesn't bother T-Mobile one lick if you use something else.

The operators will do anything to make money - including bend the truth. It shouldn't surprise you they'll do anything to make a buck ;)

The thing is, Microsoft's solution doesn't require any infrastructure to make it work, as far as the operator is concerned. The Microsoft way is nice because it puts the onnus on the end user for buying a device that can speak it, and the IT departments and email providers that want to offer the service.

It cuts down on costs for T-Mobile and others dramatically while providing a similar service. T-Mobile can start selling the devices and plans, and doesn't have to foot the bill for any new in-house infrastructure? They're probably chomping at the bit.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #42
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

I am not sure if mobile carriers are "tied" to BlackBerry. BlackBerry gives them a lot of revenue, but any data does because they charge so much. I think they will all want to widen their portfolios to offer as much as they can to as many customers they can. That doesn't mean one is better than the other by no means.

BlackBerry seems more tightly integrated to the wireless network to achive its push. It seems to me that when a phone or handheld registeres on the wireless network (which it has to do anyway), the wireless network tells/checks blackberry and pushes new information to the handheld? maybe?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:53 AM   #43
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Ok... I see your points, but all I can say is that my expirence hen I was in purchasing, once you go down a road with a company and invest heavily in the resources to support said products, we as a company were ofter resistant to change and we not necessarily early adapters with new technology(ies). I was just curious as to if, say T-Mobile, would jump of trot to join in the market? Time will tell I guess.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #44
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I won't get in the middle of this argument but I think I saw somewhere that Exchange has about 40% of the e-mail market??? Novell GroupWise, Notes, etc..will still need a solution no?

I won't even get into our experience with MS smartphones.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #45
NetGuyR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: ATT

I HATED the h6315 with a PASSION! It was a horrid device with terrible UI and lack of keyboard (builtin).

The next wave of SmartPhones will be tight, though. I've seen some of the prototypes and they're awesome!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #46
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

Well to further fuel the discussion, I just tested the 4.0.2.30 upgrade for the 7100t and it fails to resolve the sound quality/Bluettoth issues so it will be back to 3.8 with all of its bugs. So much for a solid reliable OS and phone from RIM.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 07-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #47
NetGuyR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: ATT

Looks like even rim have there little caveats
Old 07-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #48
earpon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24B4E64D
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

If this is truly coming out in the near future? RIM should have some plans on making a better one.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #49
stevenyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: lots
Carrier: t-mobile

RIM needs to make a better product regardless of what anybody else is doing.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #50
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
While I like the idea of the solution I just don't trust Microworst to really have a solid solution. They couldn't get the MPX product right and even Cingular quietly pulled the product from their product line.
What am I missing here?

I thought the MPx bombed because of lack of memory and other Motorola hardware-centric issues. What did Microsoft have to do with that? The very same Microsoft OS that came on the unsuccesful MPX is on many of the other very successful Pocket PC Phones, like the i-mate JAM and i-mate PDA2K.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:27 PM   #51
simpleSoft

Model: 7100g

My major disfunction with the BlackBerry device has been and will always be BES. I am a home user; in that I don't work for anyone and I just have a server at home. I am not about to pay $1,500 extra to have yet another software suite to handle e-mail so that I can have it on my device. I love the devices (I worked for a mortgage co that had the Nextel 7510's) and I was smitten to say the least. But when I quit and tried to replicate at with my "personal" device I found it damn near impossible to afford.

I already have exchange (I have a server running MS SBS 2003 Great deal if anyone cared to know); why should I have a similar application to tackle a similar problem...distributing e-mails.

As for security do any of you guys use OWA (Outlook Web Access)?? If you use OWA you are using the same exact protocol...you guys posted the article but obviously missed this point. From "Solving the Phone Synchronization Problem End-to-End"

Quote:
By eliminating the NOC, isn’t this solution less secure? This is among my favorite questions, and it’s usually followed up with some hand-waving about the connection to the enterprise "somehow" getting "hijacked." The answer is, it is exactly as secure as the last online purchase you made with your credit card, exactly as secure as the last time you checked your email with OWA, and exactly as secure as the last time you used Outlook with RPC-over-HTTP. That is, we use SSL (which itself negotiates over-the-wire encryption using RC4 or 3DES) to communicate between the device and the server. I suppose that you could run this with SSL disabled, but you also risk a concussion if you run top-speed into a brick wall. Just a little fyi.
Beyond all of this...bottom line is that if MS came out with a decent product. People would complain, that is what consumers do. They love to hate someone. They address the issues...and they could have done better. It's a no win situation for the most part for them; personally I love the strides their making.

My personal opinion is that between the upcoming devices in the caliber of the Samsung SCH-i730 (which I hear will get WM5), and E2K3 SP2 Microsoft and partners could have RIM's back up against the wall. "'Leverage,' says you. 'I think I feel a change in the wind,' says I."
Old 07-04-2005, 12:21 AM   #52
Rancor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7730
Carrier: Zefr

heh "Big Bada Boom"

Last edited by Rancor; 07-04-2005 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: wasn't what I was going to grunt
Old 07-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #53
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att

i used windows mobile phone edition w exchange 03 for over a year. it never ever crashed. (cf to wm2003 which crashes so often it's abnormal when it doesnt).

but, current msft exchange server activesynch requires a 'front end" exchange server outside of your firewall or your lan security is unacceptably weakened.

for larger biz's that's no big deal or cost. for smaller biz it is a deal killer.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 AM   #54
cmk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: n/a

Holy mother of HOT.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #55
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenemery
for larger biz's that's no big deal or cost. for smaller biz it is a deal killer.
FWIW, I'd guess that the majority of smaller bizs don't use DMZs and just have their Exchange box hanging off of a router that's acting as their firewall.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:35 AM   #56
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
i used windows mobile phone edition w exchange 03 for over a year. it never ever crashed. (cf to wm2003 which crashes so often it's abnormal when it doesnt).

but, current msft exchange server activesynch requires a 'front end" exchange server outside of your firewall or your lan security is unacceptably weakened.

How do you figure?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #57
simpleSoft

Quote:
I have an Axim that I sync with...and I don't need my exchange server out from behind my ISA2004 (<- Server class MS firewall)...which is pretty freaking sweet if I might add...

I'm not a security guru...nor do I claim to be...but I don't see how this setup in SP2 is in anyway different than the current settings of OWA if you have it or use it...your already at the comprible risk level. I just think this is one of those 'Chicken Little' things where people claim the sky is falling. It hasn't fallen yet people! Or at least not in my opinion.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM   #58
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

I don't beleive your Axim is cellular? It connects via WIFI behind your firewall to the public world. GPRS/1X networks needs to connect via public infrastructure, ie Internet to your Exchange Server which is where the security concerns are... Many organizations also consider OWA insecure but if your already using it then your right it I don't think its very different.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #59
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

It would be exactly the same.

OWA and ActiveSync both use HTTPS as the transport. If you think you know better than cryptographers regarding X.509 and SSL, then by all means, don't use it.

From a cryptographic standpoint, a BlackBerry is just as "secure" to a mobile phone using ActiveSync.

There are some organizations that choose not to have Exchange touch the Internet. I think this is wise. These organizations use a more robust inbound MTA which shuttles mail back to the Exchange server. This prohibits to use of OWA et al unless you're also supporting VPNs or similar.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #60
simpleSoft

Quote:
There are some organizations that choose not to have Exchange touch the Internet. I think this is wise. These organizations use a more robust inbound MTA which shuttles mail back to the Exchange server. This prohibits to use of OWA et al unless you're also supporting VPNs or similar
That is an interesting idea...

My question I guess is how does Exchange route the mail to DNS? And how does the mail get routed back down if not through a direct connection? Just seems like we have reached the limits of my mortal mind
Closed Thread