BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #1
BB_WayCool
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default 7250 Browser

Please Login to Remove!

Got my 7250 today and like anyone else who had a 7750, I am a happy camper. Was able to enable it and reroute email to this device with minimal problems. I checked and I do have 4.0 software loaded. Called Verizon to see what the story was on their browser and technical support told me that there would be something up on their website 2/11 to enable it, which is their real general availability date. I asked how this would be enabled, through a service book download, new client software, *228 etc. and she didn't have an answer. I am hoping she's right. I bought ReqWireless for use with MobileWeb4U and could use that, but don't know the address to point it to. Anyone else hearing the same thing? I did notice somewhere that some people enabled their phone and a browser appeared.

PS. The phone is really snappy. There is an option on the profiles for phone only which I think was missing on the 7750. The task function is also much improved (still not up to PocketPC standards, but better). I am really looking forward to using the Bluetooth and browsing, but this is a better phone than the 7750 even without those functions.

The battery is the same as the 7750 so now I have 3 batteries I can use. It also seems to fit in the ProClip and my leather case I think because the width is the same although the depth is shorter.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
BB_WayCool

Anybody know if Verizon will be providing browsing, file attachment capability or will I have to go with one of the third party BES providers out there?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
mikejb

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
There is an option on the profiles for phone only which I think was missing on the 7750
I think that may have been a feature that came with 4.0, I have that on my 6750.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
neilphin

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Brower is easily added

My Verizon 7250 which I am using with BWC came without browser appearing on the home screen however it is easily added. Go to- options-Host routing table- and then click the trackwheel on any of the entries and register. Then turn the 7250 off and then back on again and you should have the browser icon which works great.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default That should be a sticky

Great tip, Neilphin!
You oughta cross-post it to HoFo (Rim and Verizon forums) and PDAStreet! Good info!
Old 02-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I tried to load the browser as instructed. I received the message that I have registered with the network when I restarted but there was no browser.

Should it make a difference if I am on a BES?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
BB_WayCool

neilphin, thanks for getting me on the right path. At least I now know that a browser should show up if I do the right things on the device.

Like bperkins though I got no browser after registering and resetting. Am on the phone with support and for some reason I didn't get a web browser service book.

Tried to send a new service book, deleted the old ones, registered again and still only get Web Client (CMME) and Verizon Wireless (WAP). I know I should have another entry called Browser as I successfully updated my service books on my 7750 before changing over. Alot of good browser would do me on that device.

At any rate, I am on the long and lonely hold why Level 1 exhausts its resources. Spent a good part of the weekend all the way up to RIM support on a desktop mgmt error only to find that my Outlook OST file was corrupted.

I am a glutton for punishment. Will post results so other folks won't have to experience this level of pain if they get the same problem.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
why1504
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

I had issues with sending mail took the better part of Tuesday and 90 minutes today. Every smartphone I have gotten from Verizon I have had these kinds of issues, so I expected that. The RIM rep took me back to 3.6 on the desktop s/w and now it is working like a charm. My 7250 came with "Blackberry Internet Browsing Service" installed. I have had some errors when browsing but as a rule I don't use browsers on handheld devices. I may change if the broadband becomes available. I am learning to love this device, comfortable to carry, great battery life, nice keyboard, great screen (could be bigger though). A great product.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #9
BB_WayCool

Well why1504, just to make you feel better, I was on the phone all night with Verizon Wireless. Kept trying to get to RIM, but I think they realized it was some sort of provisioning problem with Verizon and wouldn't take the call. Finally they got someone at VZW that found that they did have to do some provisioning at their end.

So, if you don't have a browser, try the registration option off options/host routing and reset. If your web browser doesn't show up, check options service book and if browsing service isn't there call VZW support and get them to provision you properly for web browsing...this is something more than just resending service books, which we did many times to no avail.

The good news is that my browser seems to work fine...now on to Verichat etc. FYI this is what your service book entries should look like to work properly:

IPPP ro BIBS (IPPP)
Blacberry Internet Browsing Serv
Verizon Wireless (WAP)
Web Client (CMMME)
Old 02-11-2005, 02:29 AM   #10
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att
Default hmm, my 7250 had the browser working out of the box

but maybe i didnt bother testing it till i installed bes.

what are the various items listed on that options, host routing tables? a faq on those?

not so sure i'd like this device as much as i do (compared to my vzn smartphone samsung i600) if i werent using bes or outsourcing that. the desktop redirector looks kinda weak. but the normal battery life is about 4 x what the samsung w extended battery.

now if i could only synch with public contacts folder...
Old 02-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #11
turp7622

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_WayCool
Well why1504, just to make you feel better, I was on the phone all night with Verizon Wireless. Kept trying to get to RIM, but I think they realized it was some sort of provisioning problem with Verizon and wouldn't take the call. Finally they got someone at VZW that found that they did have to do some provisioning at their end.

So, if you don't have a browser, try the registration option off options/host routing and reset. If your web browser doesn't show up, check options service book and if browsing service isn't there call VZW support and get them to provision you properly for web browsing...this is something more than just resending service books, which we did many times to no avail.

The good news is that my browser seems to work fine...now on to Verichat etc. FYI this is what your service book entries should look like to work properly:

IPPP ro BIBS (IPPP)
Blacberry Internet Browsing Serv
Verizon Wireless (WAP)
Web Client (CMMME)

BB_WayCool,

Which BlackBerry are you using? does anyone with a 7750 using webclient have Internet Browsing Service Book working properly?
Old 02-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #12
p_dizzo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: BM
Default Re: That should be a sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW
Great tip, Neilphin!
You oughta cross-post it to HoFo (Rim and Verizon forums) and PDAStreet! Good info!
actually, this was mentioned in the 4.0 software thread, where a clip of Bell Mobility's initiative to explain how to get the new service books via host routing table was posted...

and yes, i have a 7750 internet browser working... but with the slow chip inside, i dread using it.. hope to see vast improvments on my future 7250..
Old 02-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
BB_WayCool

turp7622, am using the new 7250, after converting from the 7750. I used to do Reqwireless with MobileWeb4U and kind of gave up because it was so slow. 7250 is way faster and the browser works well. I am going to reinstall Reqwireless and see how that does as some say it is even faster. I hooked into a nice portal PDAPortal.com that lists a bunch of mobile sites that are quicker to load than a normal one.

Forget about websurfing though, the 7250 is so much better than the 7750 in lots of subtle different ways and 4.0 has some neat pluses over the last version. The task list is actually usable now. The USB connection must be 2.0 as the backup is very fast as well as the sync.

Despite all of the initial problems I have had, I wholeheartedly recommend this device. Funny thing is that I think I bought the 7750 for $599 and got the 7250 for $249 with a 2 year commit and a $100 instant rebate.

My HS850 bluettooth headset is on its way here and that will be the capper I hope. Verizon finally got their act together.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #14
turp7622

I truly wish i had the money to make the change. the 7250 sounds infinetly better.

I have 4.0 from telus running on the 7750 right now with no problem and am also running reqwireless as a web browser. I just tell it not to load graphics and visit PDA freindly sites. works quite fast and well. Just would like some of the benifits of the BB Browser.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

It's nice to finally lay the 7750 DogBerry to rest. It's quickly earning the new nickname TrashBerry or DogBerry when compared to the BlackBerry 7250. Now that is a real BlackBerry for a change, for CDMA!

(No offense to 7750 users. It sure does the job better than many cellphones! Just like a good old trusty car gets you to work. It's the literal equivalent to car store starting to sell cheap BMW cars in a country that used to sell only used Trabant's painted in black at double the price.)

The 7250 is only going to get faster. The 7250 has an EV-DO chip inside. It's just not "enabled" yet by RIM. I know, I know, Verizon is a whole other can of worms as they are slow at releasing firmwares -- but the 7250 will be sold by other CDMA carriers too. Many sources indicate or otherwise suggest that RIM will eventually release EV-DO firmware for the 7250 eventually sometime in 2005. Keep tuned to that.

(EV-DO is 2 megabits per second! 300-500 kilobits typical.)

I'm a GSM guy. I'm jealous of you CDMA folks now!

What we need now is an extended battery for the 7250, like there's one for Nextel!
Actually, I think the Nextel extended battery works in the 7250 (rumor) if using duct tape to hold it in, someone needs to design a redesigned battery cover.

RIM releases CDMA models very infrequently. The 7250 is so far ahead of its time, so it probably should be a durable model -- I predict that there will not be an update to a 7250 for quite a long time, probably not until 2006, unless RIM is currently working on a CDMA 7100 series. RIM clearly made sure that the 7250 does not get out of date quickly.

www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-12-2005, 02:49 AM   #16
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att
Default battery life was great until i started using bt headset

frequently. the phone battery power ran out about midday today after maybe 5 calls lasting average of 5 mins a call.

since i had turned off call logging to avoid cluttering up my mail inbox on the bb, i don't think i have any place to check to see if somehow i failed to "hang up" or inadvertenly dialed last number and stayed connected till the bb ran out of juice. suppose i can check verizon in a few days.

i'm using logitech mobile pro headset bt 1.2 which btw gives excellent background noice reduction and good clarity, but somewhat "muffled" sounding to the person i'm talking tc.

later after i thought i had hung up, i did hear a couple of tones on the headset. also noticed that for some inbound calls, i keep hearing them ring me a couple of rings after i pick up.

vzv techs talked to rim techs. expect about 120 mins continual talk time using bt. i should have asked what's standby when bt is turned on.

vzn is swapping out the phone within my 14 day period.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:12 AM   #17
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

I guess you just got caught with an abnormally short battery life

You probably also saw this thread too:
Max The Battery Life Of Your BlackBerry
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #18
BB_WayCool

Anybody get Reqwireless Web Viewer up on Verizon. If so, what are the gateway and port values.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #19
sharpycl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Lu920
PIN: is where your heart is
Carrier: AT&T

You've probably already seen this, if so, maybe someone on the forums will have it available for u. I use AT&T, and don't know the settings for verizon.

Here is a link to the support page for the wap settings.

http://www.reqwireless.com/support_bb_wap.html

Hope this helps.

Might I also add that I used this for a short while ( for my 7290) and I didn't really like the software because it would only download half a page, and then stop. Other users of this software have had the same problem. Other than that issue, it worked just fine. I was able to get the BB browser downloaded to my phone, and now I prefer it over reqwireless. It processes the whole web page, and has better graphics. It can also download file attachments.
Closed Thread