Old 07-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Emmzie

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default Wpa2 Wifi Connection!?!? Please Help

Please Login to Remove!

Afternoon!

You have to bare with me as I'm not that technical when it comes to WiFi/Connections ect. I bought a BB Bold 9700 about 2 days ago and I feel like selling it, it's been nothing but problems. I want to connect to Wifi using the router we have at home. Which is a BT Home Hub, this is not a WEP connection it is a WPA2 connection. When we scan for Networks it finds it with no problems what so ever and even connected, but when you go the Wifi settings it has a dash rather than a green tick. Now I've read a few threads saying it doesn't support WPA So what the hell do I do? My dad has tried changing the router settings to WEP which just messed up everything for him so he had to change it back.

I'm so annoyed, if there any way of fixing this? Someone please let me know. I'm currently on O2 and not on a contact so I've paid for this phone out right, and so angry that it's not working. :(
Old 07-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You will not get the green tick without a Blackberry bolt-on from O2.
These are available on contract or blackberry simplicity sim only plans, but NOT PAYG.

It has nothing to do with your router and the BB does support WPA.

A green tick indicates being connected to BIS (blackberry internet service) through wi-fi. Without a Blackberry bolt-on to get BIS, there won't be a green tick.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Emmzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
You will not get the green tick without a Blackberry bolt-on from O2.
These are available on contract or blackberry simplicity sim only plans, but NOT PAYG.

It has nothing to do with your router and the BB does support WPA.

A green tick indicates being connected to BIS (blackberry internet service) through wi-fi. Without a Blackberry bolt-on to get BIS, there won't be a green tick.
Thanks for this, Should I ring o2 then and request a simplicity sim, I don't want to pay alot for it haha. ARGH this is a nightmare :(
Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Your nightmares should stop with a blackberry data plan. Call your service provider.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

look on o2's website at the blackberry simplicity plans and how much they are.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
Emmzie

I take it the simplicity plan and data plan are the same thing, I was going to ring their call centre but they are a bit useless haha, so I have emailed them, thank you both. I'm begining to think I should of got this on contract from the start!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

no. A simplicity sim only plan is a set of minutes and texts, with data for a certain amount each month. rolling 30 day contract.

The data plan is a bolt-on, but as explained isnt available on payg.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Yatjo

Carrier: Vodaphone

I too am having problems, I am with Vodaphone and have a 9700 on contract.
I have been told I have a Blackberry Data Plan but cannot get the Wi-Fi to work with my Netgear router (WAP2).
I tried it at a friends office who has a BT Hub (WEP) and it worked fine.
Have been on to Vodaphone a number of times and got nowhere, is anybody else having these problems, or know the answer?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
BluetoothDrivingNuts

Carrier: TMobile

Emmzie if you have your home network set to WPA2-PSK, you may be able to connect to the Wifi at home doing the following:

1) Go to Wireless Connections
2) Set up Wi-FI Network
3) Manually Add Network
4) Enter the name of your network and click add
5) For security type, select PSK, enter the shared key that you have, and click Connect

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmzie View Post
Afternoon!

You have to bare with me as I'm not that technical when it comes to WiFi/Connections ect. I bought a BB Bold 9700 about 2 days ago and I feel like selling it, it's been nothing but problems. I want to connect to Wifi using the router we have at home. Which is a BT Home Hub, this is not a WEP connection it is a WPA2 connection. When we scan for Networks it finds it with no problems what so ever and even connected, but when you go the Wifi settings it has a dash rather than a green tick. Now I've read a few threads saying it doesn't support WPA So what the hell do I do? My dad has tried changing the router settings to WEP which just messed up everything for him so he had to change it back.

I'm so annoyed, if there any way of fixing this? Someone please let me know. I'm currently on O2 and not on a contact so I've paid for this phone out right, and so angry that it's not working. :(
Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
BluetoothDrivingNuts

Carrier: TMobile

Sorry, I meant WAP2-PSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluetoothDrivingNuts View Post
Emmzie if you have your home network set to WPA2-PSK, you may be able to connect to the Wifi at home doing the following:

1) Go to Wireless Connections
2) Set up Wi-FI Network
3) Manually Add Network
4) Enter the name of your network and click add
5) For security type, select PSK, enter the shared key that you have, and click Connect

Hope this helps.
Closed Thread