Old 11-19-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel
Default Thinking about 7130, question about SMS

Please Login to Remove!

Hello to all,

Have been closely following the impending launch of the 7130e for Verizon. I started with the 6750 went to a 7750 and now I have a 7250. The smaller form factor of the 71xx series phones intrigues me. I am a bit worried about Suretype, but I played with a 7100 for about an hour at the T-Mobile store and it seemed to recognize most everything of what I typed.

What I forgot to try, and what I have a question on is text messaging. I do a lot text messaging with friends who do not have blackberries - I'm trying to convert everyone. In the meantime, however, being that texts are limited to 160 characters, I tend to use a lot of abbreviations. I think it is a carryover from the old days of tapping texts with a numeric keypad. Like if I want to say

"I"m going to be later than I thought, can we meet for lunch at 12:30?"

I would bang out a quick text that looks like this

"I'm gng 2 b l8r thn I thot, cn we mt 4 lnch @ 12:30?"

This way it is 52 characters instead of 69. I know it's not a big deal, but I tend to abbreviate a lot if I am sending a text so that I can fit more in.

My question is this - Since Suretype tries to make words out of what you type, am I going to have hard time abbreviating like the above when creating a text? I know it is supposed to learn your "unique" words as you repeatedly type them. My concern is that if it learns abbreviations that I use, when I go to type a full e-mail, it will not recognize what I am trying to type.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Can you use abbreviations or is that a major pain in the neck with Suretype? As I say, I like the idea of the different form factor, but the lack of the full qwerty keyboard scares me. Thanks in advance for anyone who would like to share ideas/experiences/opinions.

Chris
Old 11-19-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Does Verizon not have unlimited SMS on BB plans? If they do, don't worry about the number of characters, and type out the whole word...
Old 11-19-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have unlimited texting to other Verizon Wireless customers. It's kind of wierd. Maybe I'm doing something wrong to begin with, but I was under the impression that if the text was over 160 characters, it automatically was split into multiple texts. However when I am composing a text, once I reach the 160 character limit, it says "field full" and I can't type anymore. I find this strange because other Verizon customers with regular phones will send me a text and it will be well over 160 characters, but shows up in my BB as 1 text. Wierd.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att

sms limitations: as of a couple of months ago verizon was telling me that they had a software problem which prevent ed automatic splitting of large sms messages. didnt get into why within network senders seem to overcome the normal limits.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherRI
I have unlimited texting to other Verizon Wireless customers. It's kind of wierd. Maybe I'm doing something wrong to begin with, but I was under the impression that if the text was over 160 characters, it automatically was split into multiple texts. However when I am composing a text, once I reach the 160 character limit, it says "field full" and I can't type anymore. I find this strange because other Verizon customers with regular phones will send me a text and it will be well over 160 characters, but shows up in my BB as 1 text. Wierd.
Very strange. On a fairly frequent basis, both my dad (who has an SKII) and myself (with a 7105t) send each other e-mail length texts, and they show up on our devices as one message. I think our record was a message that ended up being sent through like 7 SMS...
Old 11-20-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
Dewars
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The problem is not with the BB but the sms he is sending to non-BB users who have the 160 character limitation. ChistopherRI, I too am insterested in our question as I am going to get a 7130e when it comes out. Maybe there will be a way to toggle suretype to a tap for the letters when sending SMS messages.

BTW, the problem with long SMS being split is it counts as more then one SMS so both parties will be charged accoring to their TXT plans.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Even when my SIM is in another phone besides my 7105, I can receive concatenated SMS that get split. Maybe it is just a VZW issue?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

dc/dc - I wish it would work like that. My life would be a lot easier. I don't know if it is just a Verizon issue, however, because frequently one of my friends sends me a message well in excess of 160 character and it comes on one text and he has verizon as well with a boring old samsung phone.

Dewars - where in RI are you? In case you didin't guess by my name, I am from RI as well. I'm probably going to order the 7130e tomorrow if I can and give it a shot for the 15 days. If I don't like it, I can always return it and wait for the 8700 if Verizon ever decides to get in on that.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

You can easily go from suretype to tap, so when you need to txt, versus email, just go to tap instead of suretype
Old 11-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4lfe
You can easily go from suretype to tap, so when you need to txt, versus email, just go to tap instead of suretype
That is very true.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Good poimt. How easy is it to switch? I seem to remember on my Samsung i630 it was a matter of holding a button for 2 seconds to switch between t9 and the tap method. Is it this simple on the 71xx phones or is there a menu option that you need to access?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint
Thumbs up

Quote:
Good poimt. How easy is it to switch? I seem to remember on my Samsung i630 it was a matter of holding a button for 2 seconds to switch between t9 and the tap method. Is it this simple on the 71xx phones or is there a menu option that you need to access?

Thanks.
All you do is push the trackwheel and scroll down to "enable Multitap" and you are good to go.

pink
Old 11-20-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Dewars
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Dewars - where in RI are you? In case you didin't guess by my name, I am from RI as well. I'm probably going to order the 7130e tomorrow if I can and give it a shot for the 15 days. If I don't like it, I can always return it and wait for the 8700 if Verizon ever decides to get in on that.

I'm down in Middletown.

I hope to order one tomorrow if I can. I may have to wait for 12/1 since I'm not a business customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
All you do is push the trackwheel and scroll down to "enable Multitap" and you are good to go.
That seems easy enough.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #14
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm up in Lincoln. I am a pseudo-business customer. I own my own business and the bills come to the office so typiclly when I call the business number they tend to hook me up. In the past I've always been able to order the phone under the business release, so let's hope my streak continues. I'll be calling tomorrow morning.

Seems easy enough to switch to tap if I want to abbreviate in a text. I'll give it a shot because I'm increasingly tired of the larger form factor. We'll see how it goes. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #15
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewars
I'm down in Middletown.

I hope to order one tomorrow if I can. I may have to wait for 12/1 since I'm not a business customer.

That seems easy enough.

Hopefully you can order one, but I would say the odds are against you. I will only be able to order a dozen or so only because we are a national account. What I would do if I was you, if you wanna try to get by, is call up and say your looking to upgrade phones for your business, and just tell them you run a website. Who knows, maybe they will say okay
Old 11-21-2005, 04:08 AM   #16
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att

per vzn vtext site faq "ems" enhanced messaging svce only works vzn to vzn user on certain of the newer phones. limit for ems is 1,000 characters.

me, since my thumbs would curl up and die before i reach that limit, i'm looking for a pc to bt bb input app. either that or i'll add to my vast collection of keyboards for various palms, ipaqs, samsungs, with yet another model specific one for the 7250.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:58 AM   #17
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I got shut down. For the first time in the past 4 business releases of a phone that I have participated in, they are not letting me order a 7130e today because I am a sole proprietorship and the account is under my social security number. Grrrrrr! Every other time I have had no problem.

If anyone has any connections and can have one overnighted to my office, I'll pay you by PayPal and include a little something extra for the trouble. My PIN is 30072416.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:02 AM   #18
Dewars
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Well, I got shut down. For the first time in the past 4 business releases of a phone that I have participated in, they are not letting me order a 7130e today because I am a sole proprietorship and the account is under my social security number. Grrrrrr! Every other time I have had no problem.

If anyone has any connections and can have one overnighted to my office, I'll pay you by PayPal and include a little something extra for the trouble. My PIN is 30072416.
I'm going to call up in a few minutes. Maybe I'll get lucky but I think I will be told NO also. Looks like December 1st will be the day for us. If I get lucky, i'll let you know.
Closed Thread