Old 07-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Both screens are black

Please Login to Remove!

I opened my 8220 flip to make a call the other day and I noticed that both screens were black, (not completely black, both seem to be slightly backlit). I saw that the right light on top was flashing green (this is never on, I turned it off in settings). The phone seems to be working in all other respects I can still make and recieve calls, the track ball is still lit, and the phone still makes audible tone noise when I hit the different keys. I have pulled the battery several times, and tried searching an answer on this site with no luck. Any insight you might be able to give is much appricated.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I don't have experience with that model. Have you dropped it? Exposed it to moisture? (Even a sweaty pocket or humid shower room has been reported cause problems.)

You could try a battery pull (with the power on, for about 30 seconds) and see what that does.

See what others say. If it is still under warranty you next best step probably is to exchange it.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you for your quick reply. I didn't drop it, and I dont think it was exposed to any undue moisture, it was in my work truck, on the seat. (I live on the central Florida gulf coast, and you know it's very humid) Is there anything you could suggest I try before I write this phone off and get another, I've become accustomed to the services on my Blackberry and can't get along without them.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Sounds like a hardware problem affecting the screen, but I'm only guessing.
Check your settings for the display in screen/keyboard options and make sure something wasn't inadvertently reset and causing your problem.

Also, search and see if there are any known reliability problems like this with your model.

Last edited by aiharkness; 07-10-2010 at 08:06 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Seemed hopeless, got new phone

Well, none of what I tried to correct the problem seemed to be of any help with the black screens (both), really all I could do was 1) battery pull, 2) search known threads, 3) master reset, 4) OS update. Calling Blackberry tech support for T-Mobile is a waste of time. I bought a new BB 8220 on E-Bay, they are getting hard to find as T-Mobile do'es not sell them anymore. The old 8220 still works fine, both moisture indicators (phone and battery) are white, it still makes and recieves calls, all notifiers, and alarms still sound, connects to the desktop on my laptop and updates the orginizer data, in short it works fine in ALL respects escept for the screens being black. It was never droped, or left in the heat and sunlight here in Florida, I guess the only thing I could have done is to have bumped somthing while it was on my belt in the OEM leather case without noticing (couldn't have been too hard as there are no scratches or damage to the phone or the case). I guess the last thing I can do for this phone is to ask all the hardware techies on this site if there is anything I should do, or look for when I take it apart. Who knows ? I might be able to repair it with the right advice, if not it will be a great learning expirance for any future hardwar problems with my new 8220. Thanks again for your quick response, and all your help. Rich
Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

Well in your reply you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaszman View Post
it was in my work truck, on the seat. (I live on the central Florida gulf coast, and you know it's very humid)
and then you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaszman View Post
It was never droped, or left in the heat and sunlight here in Florida, I guess the only thing I could have done is to have bumped somthing while it was on my belt in the OEM leather case without noticing
But if you left it in the truck it was exposed to heat. It gets crazy hot in there

Glad you got it replaced, but even if it was on the seat (not on the melty hot dash), it is still not good for it or any electronics.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default How very right you are

I guess I didn"t think it being in my truck was a problem because I never left it in there unless 1) I was recharging it 2) I was working nearby with the windows down 3) I leave it less than hour (can't be without it longer than that) .My day in and out of my truck all day, driving from job to job doing takeoffs and checking work orders against prints. That is what I love about my blackberry is that I'm out in the open air going to or working a job, and in the next minute I'm in a huge building where all cellphone signals are lost (Schools), but the BB just keeps on chugging, switching between OTA and Wi-Fi even when I'm talking, recieving e-mail, or a message from the shop. I truly love this phone, and don't know how I ever got along without it. I guess I wish there was a more hardened version, because they seem a bit delicate to me. Again I TRULY APPRECIATE all the help and advice I recieve from this site, I've learned alot.
Closed Thread