aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Not receiving text messages from web sites

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
I received a notice from ATT that they will be changing how they interact with a blackberry device [….]
I've received the same emails (for Yahoo email, AT&T email hosted by Yahoo, and Bellsouth email hosted by Yahoo). So far as I can tell, what triggered these notices is a record of accessing the Yahoo email servers via BlackBerry or BlackBerry device. And it is just a thing with Yahoo email. (My mobile carrier is T-Mobile.)

As far as the OP, if it were me and I could live without the text messages from the web services that are not being received, or if there is a workaround, I think I would try and avoid reloading the OS. I guess it would depend what and how much data is on the BlackBerry and only on the BlackBerry. But on the other hand, not being able to backup and restore is a disaster waiting to happen, and should be mitigated ASAP.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #22
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I've received the same emails (for Yahoo email, AT&T email hosted by Yahoo, and Bellsouth email hosted by Yahoo). So far as I can tell, what triggered these notices is a record of accessing the Yahoo email servers via BlackBerry or BlackBerry device. And it is just a thing with Yahoo email. (My mobile carrier is T-Mobile.)

As far as the OP, if it were me and I could live without the text messages from the web services that are not being received, or if there is a workaround, I think I would try and avoid reloading the OS. I guess it would depend what and how much data is on the BlackBerry and only on the BlackBerry. But on the other hand, not being able to backup and restore is a disaster waiting to happen, and should be mitigated ASAP.
I can use the Blackberry Desktop Software Windows application to backup my Blackberry data to my computer's hard drive. I choose to backup everything, but I am not sure this include all my Blackberry data. When I click on Media Options I get the message "A problem occurred while attempting to connect to your Blackberry device" even though the application is clearly connected to my Blackberry Torch 9810 and I am able to backup my 'full' data. So does this mean that everything is actually backed up and can be restored, including all my contacts, calendar information, media files, and applications, including my icon setup ?

The question then is if I should try:

1) Resetting the device and then restoring all my data
2) Reinstalling the OS and then restoring all my data
3) Just reinstall the OS

The link to the latest OS, from http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...languages.html shows a release that is actually less recent than the current release I have on the Blackberry Torch 9810, even though it claims to be the latest release, which seems odd to me. My current release says '7.1 Bundle 2061 (v7.1.0.714, Platform 5.1.0.532' and the release in the link above says 7.0.0.2406 which looks clearly earlier than my present release.

So you can see with my not being sure all my data, applications, and icon positions are restorable from my 'full' backup, and my not being sure that the so-called latest OS for my device is actually better than what I have currently installed, that I am really reticent to make drastic changes and lose my current Torch 9810 functionality.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I came across this thread on the T-Mobile forums.....

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/148985

The problem there is the same as here. It is the sort of thing I had in mind, and what I had hopes of the customer service rep drilling down on.

Yes, it's T-Mobile, but it's the concepts I'm pointing at: Blocks on accounts, short codes.

If the problem was with one particular company, I'd say the company. If the problem is general, and the phone receives texts from regular phone contacts, I still think the problem is on the carrier side; maybe a block that the user set or requested, but on the carrier side as opposed to a setting on the phone.

I would call customer service again. I know it seems like a waste of time, but this is you best path still. Ask if there are any blocks enabled for your line. Mention the companies that you have requested send SMS to you.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #24
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiener View Post
I can use the Blackberry Desktop Software Windows application to backup my Blackberry data to my computer's hard drive. I choose to backup everything, but I am not sure this include all my Blackberry data. When I click on Media Options I get the message "A problem occurred while attempting to connect to your Blackberry device" even though the application is clearly connected to my Blackberry Torch 9810 and I am able to backup my 'full' data. So does this mean that everything is actually backed up and can be restored, including all my contacts, calendar information, media files, and applications, including my icon setup ?

The question then is if I should try:

1) Resetting the device and then restoring all my data
2) Reinstalling the OS and then restoring all my data
3) Just reinstall the OS

The link to the latest OS, from http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...languages.html shows a release that is actually less recent than the current release I have on the Blackberry Torch 9810, even though it claims to be the latest release, which seems odd to me. My current release says '7.1 Bundle 2061 (v7.1.0.714, Platform 5.1.0.532' and the release in the link above says 7.0.0.2406 which looks clearly earlier than my present release.

So you can see with my not being sure all my data, applications, and icon positions are restorable from my 'full' backup, and my not being sure that the so-called latest OS for my device is actually better than what I have currently installed, that I am really reticent to make drastic changes and lose my current Torch 9810 functionality.
Upfront, see my earlier post just now. I would hold off on reloading the OS.

Now, it's been a long time for me since I worked with legacy BlackBerry devices. Is the Media Options you mention in the backup options, or is it a separate setting for media sync? If it is not part of the backup settings, I would ignore it for now. See if backup will run and complete. If it doesn't, or errors out, don't be surprised, given the changes since and the fact that support was stopped a long time ago. But if you can do a backup, then do it, and repeat regularly while you figure out what you are going to do.

As far as I recall, the backup (if it runs and completes) will backup all data and settings locally on the device. After you reload the OS you may have to reinstall apps, and the apps will download whatever they download after an app is installed. The app settings you previously set will probably be backed up and then restored when you restore. My memory is the devices was like before after a restore.

To be clear on a point, the meaning of a clean OS reload has to do with testing after the OS reloaded before you do anything else, in case whatever problem is reintroduced when the backup is restored. If the problem doesn't occur when clean, but reappears after the restore, then the conclusion is the problem is in data or a setting that was on the device beforehand.

If you go this far, the desktop software should give you the latest OS released by the carrier. If you installed an OS released by another carrier, then it may be older or newer than what the desktop software presents to you.

Anyway, as I say, I would do the backup, if possible, but hold off on the OS reload. Give you carrier's customer service another try, and ask if you have any blocks enabled on your line. Bring up short codes. And mention the companies that you have requested send you SMS.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #25
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I came across this thread on the T-Mobile forums.....

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/148985

The problem there is the same as here. It is the sort of thing I had in mind, and what I had hopes of the customer service rep drilling down on.

Yes, it's T-Mobile, but it's the concepts I'm pointing at: Blocks on accounts, short codes.

If the problem was with one particular company, I'd say the company. If the problem is general, and the phone receives texts from regular phone contacts, I still think the problem is on the carrier side; maybe a block that the user set or requested, but on the carrier side as opposed to a setting on the phone.

I would call customer service again. I know it seems like a waste of time, but this is you best path still. Ask if there are any blocks enabled for your line. Mention the companies that you have requested send SMS to you.
Considering that AT&T themselves, when I was talking to one of their agents on the phone, tried to send me a text and I failed to receive it, I think it is impossible that they are blocking themselves. Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #26
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Upfront, see my earlier post just now. I would hold off on reloading the OS.

Now, it's been a long time for me since I worked with legacy BlackBerry devices. Is the Media Options you mention in the backup options, or is it a separate setting for media sync? If it is not part of the backup settings, I would ignore it for now. See if backup will run and complete. If it doesn't, or errors out, don't be surprised, given the changes since and the fact that support was stopped a long time ago. But if you can do a backup, then do it, and repeat regularly while you figure out what you are going to do.

As far as I recall, the backup (if it runs and completes) will backup all data and settings locally on the device. After you reload the OS you may have to reinstall apps, and the apps will download whatever they download after an app is installed. The app settings you previously set will probably be backed up and then restored when you restore. My memory is the devices was like before after a restore.

To be clear on a point, the meaning of a clean OS reload has to do with testing after the OS reloaded before you do anything else, in case whatever problem is reintroduced when the backup is restored. If the problem doesn't occur when clean, but reappears after the restore, then the conclusion is the problem is in data or a setting that was on the device beforehand.

If you go this far, the desktop software should give you the latest OS released by the carrier. If you installed an OS released by another carrier, then it may be older or newer than what the desktop software presents to you.

Anyway, as I say, I would do the backup, if possible, but hold off on the OS reload. Give you carrier's customer service another try, and ask if you have any blocks enabled on your line. Bring up short codes. And mention the companies that you have requested send you SMS.
I am pretty sure that the OS on my Torch 9810 is released by Blackberry, not the carrier AT&T. Can I really be wrong about this ? Would AT&T have actually released an OS version for my Blackberry 9810 ?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #27
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the OS on my Torch 9810 is released by Blackberry, not the carrier AT&T. Can I really be wrong about this ? Would AT&T have actually released an OS version for my Blackberry 9810 ?
Ultimately, the OS was tested and released to user by the carrier*. Yes, BlackBerry released the OS packages to the carriers, but the end users receive the OS software from the carrier (unless the user purposely obtains and installs another carrier's OS software).

* With BB10, user's who purchased unlocked, unbranded devices direct from BlackBerry did receive OS updates direct from BlackBerry, independent of the carrier. If the user reloaded the OS, it came from BlackBerry if the device was unbranded. In the case of legacy devices, there probably were exceptions, but consumers who purchased branded devices received OS software and upgrades from the carrier not direct from BlackBerry. When you connect a legacy device to the desktop software, the software reads the device and delivers upgrades or OS reloads based on the carrier branding, and the options presented to you will be what the carrier released.

As far as T-Mobile sending you a text, you didn't mention that earlier. But still, don't overestimate the competence of customer service. I would ask the question this way. Assume for the moment the problem is not on your end. What else could it be on the carrier's end? Then have the carrier's customer service rep rule each one out. If the problem isn't on your end, what would be the possible reasons you didn't receive the carrier's text? Ask them to try again, and double check make sure they are sending to your correct number. The larger point is politely push the customer service rep to think of possible alternatives besides offloading the problem back on you.

If the customer service rep says there is absolutely no reason on their end for you not receiving their text, then I guess you have to conclude the problem is on your side. It would certainly be better if you could test with another device and your SIM before you do something like reloading the OS.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-08-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #28
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ultimately, the OS was tested and released to user by the carrier*. Yes, BlackBerry released the OS packages to the carriers, but the end users receive the OS software from the carrier (unless the user purposely obtains and installs another carrier's OS software).

* With BB10, user's who purchased unlocked, unbranded devices direct from BlackBerry did receive OS updates direct from BlackBerry, independent of the carrier. If the user reloaded the OS, it came from BlackBerry if the device was unbranded. In the case of legacy devices, there probably were exceptions, but consumers who purchased branded devices received OS software and upgrades from the carrier not direct from BlackBerry. When you connect a legacy device to the desktop software, the software reads the device and delivers upgrades or OS reloads based on the carrier branding, and the options presented to you will be what the carrier released.

As far as T-Mobile sending you a text, you didn't mention that earlier. But still, don't overestimate the competence of customer service. I would ask the question this way. Assume for the moment the problem is not on your end. What else could it be on the carrier's end? Then have the carrier's customer service rep rule each one out. If the problem isn't on your end, what would be the possible reasons you didn't receive the carrier's text? Ask them to try again, and double check make sure they are sending to your correct number. The larger point is politely push the customer service rep to think of possible alternatives besides offloading the problem back on you.

If the customer service rep says there is absolutely no reason on their end for you not receiving their text, then I guess you have to conclude the problem is on your side. It would certainly be better if you could test with another device and your SIM before you do something like reloading the OS.
Not T-Mobile. AT&T. They said they would escalate the issue and get back to me withion 5 days. All I can do is give them some time and then bother them again if I do not hear from them. I have just spent too much time on the phone with them already.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #29
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahidullah View Post
hey everyone im also having trouble receiving text messages from others, dont know what to do :(
This is not about others. It is about receiving text messages from web sites asking for verification via some code they will send to you. If you have some general issue about not being able to text, please start your own topic. I can text back and forth with individuals via direct phone numbers without any problems.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #30
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Another thought, going back to tsac's idea. Here's a test. Pick a contact that you are receiving. Delete them from your address book. Do a hard reset (remove the battery for a moment with the power on). Have your friend send you a text. See if you receive or not. Let's assume you don't receive it. Add the friend back to your address book. Do a hard reset. Have friend send a text again.

If you do the test and you don't receive the text when you don't have the friend in your address book, then tsac is on the money as far as what is happening. The questions will then be why, and how to correct it.

As far as AT&T, I don't think you mentioned before that they are going to look at it. Did they create a ticket, and perhaps give you a ticket number? I agree, though, give them the 5 days.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #31
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
This is not about others. It is about receiving text messages from web sites asking for verification via some code they will send to you. If you have some general issue about not being able to text, please start your own topic. I can text back and forth with individuals via direct phone numbers without any problems.
That's maybe an important detail. If someone not in your address book sends you text to your number from their phone, do you receive it? Where I'm going is the question of whether this is an issue with short codes. At any rate, I'd be interested in results if you run the test I mention in other post.

I'm going to send you a PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #32
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Another thought, going back to tsac's idea. Here's a test. Pick a contact that you are receiving. Delete them from your address book. Do a hard reset (remove the battery for a moment with the power on). Have your friend send you a text. See if you receive or not. Let's assume you don't receive it. Add the friend back to your address book. Do a hard reset. Have friend send a text again.

If you do the test and you don't receive the text when you don't have the friend in your address book, then tsac is on the money as far as what is happening. The questions will then be why, and how to correct it.

As far as AT&T, I don't think you mentioned before that they are going to look at it. Did they create a ticket, and perhaps give you a ticket number? I agree, though, give them the 5 days.
As far as your test is concerned: I am a programmer and have been working on a program which sends AT commands directly to a phone number and receives text messages from that phone number. The program has no problems doing so with my cellphone even though the program's "phone number" is not in my address book.

As far as AT&T is concerned they did not give me a ticket number. The actual problem that they promised to get back to me about within 5 days is that I can no longer login to my wireless acount online because it now requires sending a text code to the customer's wireless phone, which I do not receive. They stated that I was not the only one negatively affected by this new functionality which they recently added to their online login process. A previous call about the general problem of not getting text messages from a website, including theirs, was "elevated" according to them but there was no promise by them to get back to me about it.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #33
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Interesting. So, what do you think about short codes possibly being part of the problem? What other difference(s) could there be between the SMS messages you receive and those you don't receive?
Old 12-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #34
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Interesting. So, what do you think about short codes possibly being part of the problem? What other difference(s) could there be between the SMS messages you receive and those you don't receive?
Your guess is as good as mine <g>. You seem to be saying that SMS text messages work but other types of text messages do not. Is there some setting on my 9810 that controls that ? Should I be asking AT&T about whether they are only allowing SMS text messages to work in my phone plan with them ? I would think that when AT&T themselves tried to text me and I did not receive their text message that they might have realized that the problem was about SMS text messages as opposed to text messages in general and looked at my plan with them to see if it was about their blocking all text messages which were not SMS text messages.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #35
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The only likely possibility I could think of with the phone is parental controls, as tsac mentioned first, but which you have ruled out, I think. That is, it isn't an issue of receiving or not receiving messages from sends in your address book or not.

Regarding short codes, I know the messages I get from T-Mobile show short codes as the sender instead of full phone numbers. Same thing with the two-factor verification codes I get from other services. I assume AT&T does the same thing, and that when they sent the test message to you it would have displayed to you as a short code for the sender. I don't know the differences in the case of short codes over regular SMS/MMS sent from a phone. I've wondered if maybe short codes are like personalized license plate, or custom PIN's. Maybe there is a glitch in that registry at AT&T, except there shouldn't be a problem with their short code in their own registry. So, I really have no idea, but it seems a factor, and that is part of what makes me wonder if that this key to the problem. And yes, I would have expected AT&T to clue in on this, and maybe they have and that is what they are looking at, or one of the things.

I don't recall on the legacy BBOS, maybe it is there, but on BB10 in the SMS/MMS settings there is an option for Routing Preference (Packet Switched/Circuit Switched/Packet Switch Preferred/Circuit Switch Preferred). It wouldn't hurt to play with this, if it is there in BBOS, though I doubt it is the issue. For me SMS/MMS work on the mobile network either way, and the difference is when on wi-fi calling.

Now that I'm thinking more outside the box, something else you can try, if you have the option in BBOS, is change the Network Mode. I don't think this should make a difference in your case, but at this point try what you can and see what happens. (What makes me think of this is I have had problems sending texts in some locations, rarely, and the solution is changing the Network Mode from 4GLTE & 4G/3G & 2G to something else. It's a different problem than you are having, but there is a hint of possibility.)

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-09-2018 at 09:12 AM..
Old 12-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #36
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-sms-short-code.htm

I was way off on short codes as far as what they are. But not yet ruling out as a factor in the problem.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #37
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you everybody for your help. The problem was solved with the help of aiharkness. It turns out that while I had the Firewall disabled, the option below it ,which said Block Incoming Messages: Text Messages, was enabled and it said "630 blocked". How this can be enabled while the general Firewall is disabled I do not know. Anyway, after enabling the Firewall, then disabling the text message blocking, then disabling the Firewall, I can now receive text messages from websites as well as anyone directly texting me.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #38
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Thanks for following up and posting the solution.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #39
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Learn something every day, Thanks Ira
Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #40
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I'm mad at myself for not thinking of firewall settings. Should have. Just out of practice I guess.

Anyway, I'm pleased the OP figured it out.