Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #61
jet66
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

When you connect your BB and run the Application Loader, do you get a screen that looks similar to the image I attached? If so, you need to load the OS for your BB device to your PC. Find your provider and device OS for the DM here. If this is not the solution, I'm not sure what you would have to check next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	9679  
Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #62
Palm2BB

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet66 View Post
When you connect your BB and run the Application Loader, do you get a screen that looks similar to the image I attached? If so, you need to load the OS for your BB device to your PC. Find your provider and device OS for the DM here. If this is not the solution, I'm not sure what you would have to check next.
Not exactly. The 4 3rd-party apps I installed are listed, and they're followed by a grayed-out line that says "Other required applications and libraries" (whose size is listed as 0 K).

Update: I just noticed my Desktop Manager was outdated. It's v 4.2.0.14. I'm downloading v 4.2.2.14 now from T-mo's website. Thanks for the help!!

P.S. How did you attach your screenshot?

Last edited by Palm2BB; 11-09-2007 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #63
Palm2BB

Please help! I can't run the new Desktop Manager version I downloaded. When I double-click the .exe file, an error message pops up saying it's "not a valid Win32 application." What now?

Update: Apparently there was a hiccup during the (huge) download. I downloaded the file again and was able to install the new version.

Last edited by Palm2BB; 11-12-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #64
Pseudo-Fed
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
I've posted this in other threads, but it seems especially appropriate here. Plus, I've received a few PMs asking for help with this.

Mods break it into its own thread if you feel its deserving:

You can significantly increase the available memory by uninstalling various things from the Pearl. When I restart my Pearl, I have about 43 MB free, and I have 9 third party apps installed: Googletalk, Googlemaps, newsclip, spider solitaire, freecell, klondike, operamini, quickplayer, and RSAsecuretoken.

It's best to do this when upgrading the device to a new OS. For example, if you delete preloaded pictures (see step 5, below), they still show up as 0k files in the pictured folder. If you delete them when you reinstall the entire OS, they won't.

Not all of these steps need be followed, picking and choosing will work too. Where I say to delete a file below, it's probably better just to copy it into a new folder so that you can restore it if necessary. Whenever you want to implement the changes, simply run the apploader.

Back up your device first

(1) If you have a media card, go into the options in the media app and change "reserved pictures memory" to 0M. Even if you don't have a card, consider lowering the number to conserve memory. Savings = up to 10 MB.

(2) Delete the unnecessary language files. You can do it through options> advanced>applications, but the better, cleaner way to do it is through the apploader. When a new OS is installed on the PC (not the device) the .cod files are contained in the java folder at (for OS .69) program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8100-v4.2.0.69_P2.2.0.40.

There are approx. 400 files, if you only want english, delete any file with the following at the end of the file name: __pt, __pt_BR, __fr, __it, __de, __nl, __en_GB, __es, __es_MX, __ca, and __tr. Also delete all files with dynamic_ling (except for the English files). For os .69 there are a total of 186 language files totaling 12.4 MB that can be deleted in this manner. Plus, delete the .cod files for korean and semitic language support.

(3) Delete the .cod files with any themes (net_rim_theme_...) you don't use. BUT DO NOT DELETE THE ZEN THEME. By deleting the Cingular theme and the dimension icon theme I saved another MB.

(4) Delete the preloaded video, by deleting the .cod file: net_rim_bb_medialoader_video.cod. Savings = 2.4 MB.

(5) Delete the preloaded pictures by deleting the files: net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod and net_rim_bb_media_100_240x260.cod. Savings = 3.5 MB.

(6) Delete the preloaded ringtones by deleting the file: net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g.c od. Savings = 280k.

Total memory savings is about 30MB. If you don't use PTT on Cingular, delete those .cod files as well (they say ptt in them). If you don't play brickbreaker delete it. If you don't use the maps application delete it.

Keep in mind, however, that some strange things can happen when certain apps are deleted. For example, I deleted the memo pad and tasks on my 7130 and BBcorrector wouldn't work. It's probably best to follow these steps one at a time, so that you'll know which step to undo if a problem arises. Obviously, by messing with the OS files, you could turn your device into a nice Christmas tree ornament, and I take no responsibility if you do that. In discovering all of these steps, I bricked my device twice. However, I simply undid my previous step (i.e., restore some .cod files) reran the apploader and everything turned out fine.

Why not delete the Zen theme? I only use BB Dimension Icon and would like to delete rest, and Zen is pretty big. Why not? Thanks.
8900 on AT&T BIS

http://twitter.com/nittwidder
Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #65
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo-Fed View Post
Why not delete the Zen theme? I only use BB Dimension Icon and would like to delete rest, and Zen is pretty big. Why not? Thanks.
My understanding is that for recent OSs, the icon and today dimension themes are built off of zen. If you delete zen, the other two won't work. But, I could be wrong. Give it a try, by renaming the zen cod to .old. At worst, you can just restore it by renaming it back to the original name.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #66
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

I dont have a shared folder under research in motion !
Old 11-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #67
Palm2BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
I dont have a shared folder under research in motion !
Me neither (even after I updated my DM, per suggestion from jet66). Anyone know why some of us don't have a "shared" folder?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #68
dfault312

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
You can significantly increase the available memory by uninstalling various things from the Pearl.
Thats a great list of things to remove... but Im having trouble finding them. On my blackberry, I can find a few of them by "Exploring" from the media application, but I can't delete them. On my PC, the "apploader" in the Desktop Manager is only a wizard for installing or removing applications on my device (And actually has a less complete list than the device itself) and there is no option to browse my device and remove any .cod files. Can someone give me a few pointers about how to get to whatever I can use to delete this stuff?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #69
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfault312 View Post
Thats a great list of things to remove... but Im having trouble finding them. On my blackberry, I can find a few of them by "Exploring" from the media application, but I can't delete them. On my PC, the "apploader" in the Desktop Manager is only a wizard for installing or removing applications on my device (And actually has a less complete list than the device itself) and there is no option to browse my device and remove any .cod files. Can someone give me a few pointers about how to get to whatever I can use to delete this stuff?
Delete them from the Java folder it's super easy. Go to:

-My Computer
-C:
-Program Files
-Common Files
-Research In Motion
-Shared
-Loader Files

Locate the folder for your OS version. For example the latest Sprint OS is 4.3.0.71 so my folder would read: 8130-v4.3.0.71_P3.1.0.37

Open that and then open the Java folder. Locate the files you want to delete and delete them. Once that's done connect your BlackBerry and run the Desktop Manager's app loader.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #70
dfault312

Carrier: Sprint

there is no "Shared" folder in my "Research in Motion" folder.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #71
francodeman

Model: 9800
PIN: 26733D9A
Carrier: Telus Mobility

I use a software program found on the Blackberry site that is called memory cleaner. I click the icon and it clears/delete/removes cookies, certificates, clipboard, history and such. works great
Old 12-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #72
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

Tell me more. Where can I get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by francodeman View Post
I use a software program found on the Blackberry site that is called memory cleaner. I click the icon and it clears/delete/removes cookies, certificates, clipboard, history and such. works great
Old 12-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #73
iceman027
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks for all the info
Old 02-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #74
jdy2kgt

Carrier: verizon

UGH so i'm trying to be a good Noob and use the search engine to answer most my questions but this one has me stumped.

I just go the PEARL 8130 from VZW. When i go to C: then program files then Common Files then RIM here is all I see:

AppLoader
BBBiDrivers
ModemDrivers
RIMdevice Manager
USB Drivers

thats it, so where is this shared folder with all these files i can delete?? please help
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #75
jdy2kgt

i also deleted the vendor filr under apploader, but it doesn't look like that did anything?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #76
Palm2BB

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I had the same problem with my 8100 and T-Mo. Then I got a new laptop. Instead of using the provided disc I installed BB using the latest download from T-Mo's website and that solved the problem.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #77
jdy2kgt

i figured it out, didn't realize the desktop software and the OS software were too diff programs once i dl the os from VZW site the shared folder popped up
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #78
weekend buzz

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

how do i delete old attachment data? ive been searching for it but cant seem to find the answer.
Closed Thread