Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Elliephont

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Blackberry 8120 Turning itself off

Please Login to Remove!

First off, if this topic has already been discussed, or I'm on the wrong board please forgive me. I'm at my wit's end and need some help. A little background first...

I am a T-Mobile customer with the Blackberry 8120. I've had the phone for about 4 months. It was working fine until about three weeks ago when I realized it was turning itself off. I only noticed at first because it turned itself off at night and I use my phone as my alarm clock and I overslept by a couple hours.

Then I noticed it was turning itself off during the day periodically. I checked the battery first. It did not show it being low, but I bought a second battery to be sure.

When that did not help I did a hard reset. Which is great because it helped me to get my PocketMac Sync Manager to work with my phone (which it never had before, I'd always been syncing my phone at work on the PC) but did not help with my "turning off" issue.

I called T-Mobile customer service today and they told me to download the newest version of the software for the Blackberry 8120. Which I did and installed it but it still turns itself off.

I have not downloaded anything new to the phone in the last couple weeks. I have not dropped it, or done anything else to trigger this, that I'm aware of.

When it does turn itself off, it does not always turn itself back on, although it does SOMETIMES. It is frustrating that I can not find a pattern, other then the fact that it's turning itself off on it's own. . .

When it does come back on, it takes a long time to reboot. The hourglass icon is on the screen for probably a whole two minutes and it usually tells me it is verifying something (I can not remember what).

I have taken the memory card out in an effort to see if that was causing the problems, but it still turns itself off.

So......anyone else? Any tips? Helpful hints? I do not want to deal with setting up a new phone again. After the hard reset I'm not in the mood to re-type my contacts...gug.

I never had this problem with my 8100....which I loved, but is not waterproof...I found out the hard way it does not like hot tubs. Just a friendly hint to anyone else who can't handle going anywhere without there 'berry....

TIA
Old 08-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

I would suggest calling customer care and having them exchange it. You have done all the basic troubleshooting.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Elliephont

sad. I was really hoping it was something stupid I had missed....
Old 08-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Elliephont

thanks for your help!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Sorry but I don't see any other possible cause. You covered everything.
Closed Thread