Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
joep2k

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Facebook App ActiveX error

Please Login to Remove!

Is it possible to install the facebook app using a data-only (non-BB) type of plan.
I'm getting the error:
"Microsoft® Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) users: if you encounter an error, look at the top of this page for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: 'AxLoader.cab' from 'Research In Motion'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed."

I read somewhere you need the "Blackberry Browser" to install it, which I do not have. I only have a "Hotspot Browser" (works with wi-fi) and "WAP Browser (Rogers)" (works with edge).

If there's a way, could someone please provide instructions? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

the facebook app is configured to work with your push email service. i am fairly sure it will not work without a BB data plan
Old 05-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
malayaaa

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

i have everything on my bb that can make facebook appication work
Old 09-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
glanne

Model: 8320
Carrier: Globe Telecom

i got my new bb the other day (8320 wi-fi) which i haven't been able to use with my sim card yet (and therefore no data plan) - still waiting for my unlock code. i've been playing around with it using my home wi-fi network, and i would get the same problem attempting to download the facebook application directly from my mobile.

what ended up working for me was downloading it to my laptop and transferring the app via usb. it only worked with internet explorer, not firefox. what happens is that that same error comes up on both, but on ie the "yellow bar" actually comes out after a few seconds and enables you to install the required activex control.

install it, plug your bberry onto your laptop via usb, refresh the download page (blackberry.com/facebook) and it should work, after prompting you for your handheld password.

i have the app on my blackberry now, but i'm still trying to figure out how to use it with wi-fi only and without the data plan. i actually posted a thread regarding this too, if you have any ideas...?
Closed Thread