BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Wes Rus

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-mobile
Thumbs up Insight into broken USB ports

Please Login to Remove!

You can now get a new USB port from cnn.cn for $4.99.
Of course you will need mad soldering skills to install it.

As far as fragility of these ports. It appears to me that the issue is with the design of the port.
These ports mount mid-board. So unlike most other ports that sit on top of the board these USB ports reside in a small cutout on the pc board with the soldering tabs sticking out of the side of the port and not the bottom.
It seems as though plastic connector portion of the port is press fit into the metal jacket. The plastic portion becomes loose and wiggles in the metal jacket, hence the loose feeling many report.
However, this is the beginning of the end because as the plastic part is no longer snugly held place, stress is placed on fragile metal conductor pins. Slowly as people use the "loose" jack
and pay little attention to the wiggling, the metal conductors snap off and the port becomes useless. This makes allot more sense if you look at the enlarged pictures of the jack.
BlackBerry 8800/8820/8830 OEM USB connector- HTC, Mobiado, BenQ-Siemens, Accessories Store, Sony, 3G, Dopod/O2, NEC, Panasoni

When I replace my jack, I'm going to try to place a small drop of super glue that will lock the plastic piece in the metal jacket.
My advice to those with a loose but working jack is to use GREAT care when plugging in the port, don't allow any wiggling or you will eventually snap these wires. If you are brave enough you can try to glue the plastic back into position in the metal sleeve.
Personally I think Blackberry should do a recall.
Good luck.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Thanks for the info. I have never had the problem but decided to get the drop in charger for my BlackBerry so I use the USB port less.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Wes Rus

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-mobile
Default further..

Here is the picture of the 8800 port and the 8100 port as a reference. As can be seen the build quality on the 8100 is much better because the plastic can not come loose. In contrast, it's clear that the 8800's plastic piece is held in place by a couple of small metal tabs that require the pressure of the metal being stamped around the plastic to stay in place.
Also notice how long and thin the wires are compared to the 8100.

Once the 8100 port is soldered to the board the plastic insert can not come loose unless
the plastic breaks.
I don't think it's carelessness on the part of users that is causing the ports to break on the 8800 series. It's poor build quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8800 port.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	11559   Click image for larger version

Name:	8100_port.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	11560  

Last edited by Wes Rus; 05-27-2008 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
atress

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T- Mobile

A small gold prong inside of my 8100's USB fell out. I called T-Mobile thinking that I could get a new handheld no problem since my phone is not a year old. They said it was a registered problem and since I do not have insurance I'm on my own. Bull. Last time I use T-Mobile or BB
Closed Thread