Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
NeptuneIT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Bell Canada Tethering

Please Login to Remove!

I've got a few users on my BES that are in Canada with Bell Canada. Do they have the option to tether for modem use like my Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile users? If so, do they need software like Verizon/AT&T or is it something configured within Windows like T-Mobile?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
matthewk24
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Judging by the fact that their rate plans include only 4mb of data and an overage charge of $12/mb (only $6/mb in the us, woohoo) I don't think you would want to. I don't know if they can but wow, what prices.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
NeptuneIT
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just manage the BES, not the actual phone plans. So you're saying that they don't have an "unlimited" plan like most other providers?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
teva_feet

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneIT View Post
Bell Canada......."unlimited" plan
LMAO....an unlimited data plan from a Canadian carrier.....thats funny

ok, sarcasm has now been turned off.....no they don't offer a publicly posted unlimited data plan but it is something they negotiate with major corporate customers (i.e. GM, Nortel, etc.)
Old 09-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
NeptuneIT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well that is certainly good to know!

Anyone know if you need some sort of connection software or if you can configure it Windows as described in Mark Rejhon's original post on Using Blackberry As Modem?

Unfortunately, I can not do any testing as I'm not going to Canada any time soon. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Bell *used* to have an unlimited plan (prior to tethering being supported) - $100CAD/ month. With the advent of tethering this went down to 200MB (or so I've been led to believe). As I'm on a legacy corp plan our unlimited data is still honoured.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
shaf77
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Wirelessly posted

What are the instructions for tethering with Bell? Do I need to install software?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Rozzy61

Model: 8330
PIN: 31EDCA83

I have bell mobility and my data is unlimited. any hints on tethering, software etc.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Minstrel

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Aliant

My hint would be....don't do it. I tried it and did a small amount of speed testing and browsing (15 MB). My plan covers 500 MB. I checked my usage and it was charged as off-plan. The rate is 8$/MB. There is apparently a clause somewhere that states that the plan only covers "on device" usage. Bell was kind enough to waive the charge on a "one-time" basis. I asked them if they had a plan I could buy to cover tethering and they said "No". They offered up their turbo-stick as the only alternative that they provide.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
BBSpike
Thumbs Must Hurt

I believe the only Bell plan that permits tethering is the $45/1GB data plan (which I have). You need a piece of free software (search for "Mobile Connect" on bell.ca) which will allow you to tether by USB or bluetooth.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Rozzy61

Model: 8330
PIN: 31EDCA83

so a 1 GB plan can do tethering but an unlimited data plan cant? that doesnt make sense to me?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 0xDEADBEEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzy61 View Post
I have bell mobility and my data is unlimited. any hints on tethering, software etc.
  1. Make sure BBDM is loaded
  2. Connect your BB
  3. Create a DUN connection using your BB Modem, number is #777
  4. Thats it.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
StringThing

Model: 9630
Angry

Hi. First time poster. I was interested in the tethering so I just called their support line for the Bell supported "Mobile Connect". I was informed that my unlimited data plan covers email and data on device only. Any tethering will incur an extra cost. Her exact words were "Quite expensive."

Here is a C&P from the Bell site:

PER-KILOBYTE DATA TRANSPORT CHARGES

USING YOUR HANDHELD DEVICE FOR "TETHERED" DATA TRANSMISSION (E.G. USING YOUR DEVICE AS A MODEM FOR YOUR PC), INCLUDING TO DOWNLOAD APPLICATIONS OR CONTENT, OR FOR GAMING, WILL RESULT IN PER-KILOBYTE DATA TRANSPORT CHARGES AT BELL MOBILITY'S THEN CURRENT RATES.

You will be charged for data transmissions from or to your PC or other device through your Bell Mobility handheld device. Data transmissions include automated security updates to your PC, Internet gaming, sending and receiving emails including attachments, and downloading music or other content. If you subscribe to a data plan, you will be charged additional per kilobyte rates as set out in the plan, for any data transport usage in excess of the data transport included in the monthly data plan fee.

Oh, and sit down before you read this part:

Data roaming charges may also apply if you are transmitting data through your device on one of Bell Mobility's roaming partners' networks.

Note to subscribers of Bell Mobility's Unlimited Mobile BrowserTM: in tethering your Bell Mobility handheld device to your PC or other device, data transmission does NOT occur through the Unlimited Mobile Browser. You will be charged for data transport usage in addition to the monthly charge for the browser.

Examples of data transport charges using a rate of $12 per megabyte: send an email = $0.15; download a web page = $4.50; download a song = $123.00. Note that these examples do not include all data transmission associated with these activities, which can vary depending on user activity, software application behaviour, communications protocol and network conditions.

Does anyone know if using Tetherberry falls under these rules?

Last edited by StringThing; 08-27-2009 at 12:46 PM..
Closed Thread