Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #41
alexkingorg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

Please Login to Remove!

If you haven't already contributed to the bounty:

http://www.alexking.org/blog/2006/06...00-mac-bounty/

Please consider it. We're up to $300 now.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #42
csjk789

Model: 8700c
Default bootcamp, windowsn and parallels

Aquetas is right, its not worth it. With Cingular on my 8700c, I am able to connect with no problems using my Dell Latitude D610(company issued). From there I've had success sharing the USB internet connection over wireless, thus being able to use it on my Mac.

I contacted PocketMac a bit ago and the assured me a modem driver would be included in a later release of their software...

Until then, all you MacBook (pro) users should have no problem running parallels(windows within 10.4), and then sharing the internet connection (bridge it with a virtual network port and use a proxy). As of right now this is our only option.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #43
aschulm

Model: 7290

I am interested in writing a device driver for the blackberry which is reverse enginnered from the windows driver.

The tool needed here is USB Monitor. It will show you all the data transfers occuring over usb. I am interested in starting an open source project where we can work together to make this driver.

If anyone wants to join drop a line on this thread and list what skils you have that will be usefull.

I have made programs which communicate over usb on the serial level. I also am very familiar with objective-c, and I also know cocoa (not like it would matter in this case).

P.S. Apple has some very nice documentation on creating kernel device extensions.
developer DOT apple DOT com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KEXTConcept/KEXTConceptKEXT/hello_kext DOT html

Enjoy!

Aaron
Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #44
alexkingorg

Sounds awesome Aaron - I don't have an appropriate skillset to help with the tech side, but let me know if I can do anything to help on the publicity/bounty end.

The bounty is up to $300 now!

Last edited by alexkingorg; 07-05-2006 at 01:21 PM..
Old 07-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #45
FiftiesDean

Model: 7630
Carrier: Verizon

i'm learning applescript, but that's all I have. but I'm willing to learn to get this working. I have a PPC Apple running OSX, and even if a I buy a Intel Mac, I won't run windows, b/c it's windows....that's why you buy a mac
Old 07-12-2006, 04:12 AM   #46
makkystyle

Model: 7100t

bump.... just want to see if any new info is developing on this. What you guys are trying to do is awesome.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #47
jinksPadlock

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default More Apple Docs

For anyone interested here are some more apple docs on porting drivers...

developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/PortingDrivers/intro/chapter_1_section_1.html

developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KEXTConcept/KEXTConceptIOKit/hello_iokit.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002366

Sounds like fun, I've been wanting to play around in Xcode. Although I would probably go into intellisense withdrawal.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #48
lindmar

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Rogers

just got sharkmodem up and running on my intel macbook under windows XP.
Without a hitch. so while I'm leving for vacation tomorrow, I can still use my macbook for INternet access, along with macdrive, I can access my mac partioned drive...
just have to put up with the worlds worst OS for 2 weeks.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:19 AM   #49
edwardgrz

Model: 7130c
Lightbulb Try something different?

Been following this thread for a week or so and I'm with several others ... don't really care if it works with Windows and don't really want to buy a new MacBook to have this functionality. Meanwhile, seems as though the first step is to have a Mac-compatible of the Blackberry Desktop software. My understanding is that loading the software is essential to make tethering work on a pc, so it seems logical to start there. Has anyone considered a email campaign to Blackberry/Apple and the various cell carriers to ask for a this? Seems there are a lot of people wanting it. What do y'all think?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #50
lydz

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

I would gladly be in on a campaign to PROPERLY sync macs with blackberries. It is very annoying to search for OTAs or find an available P of C.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #51
edwardgrz

Model: 7130c
Default Sync BB with Mac

I use PocketMac for BB with a USB connection and it works quite well. If you haven't tried it you should get the free download from PocketMac and give it a spin. As far as using the BB as a conduit for Internet access, seems no one has broken the code. Although I'm not at all technically capable, I do have the USB and Modem drivers off the latest BB Desktop Manager software. If anyone would like to try to figure them out I'd be happy to provide.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #52
alexkingorg

The "BlackBerry as a modem for Mac" bounty is up to $400 now, please consider making a contribution if you haven't already.

http://www.alexking.org/blog/2006/06...00-mac-bounty/

I agree that better syncing would be *very* welcome.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #53
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Lightbulb

Greetings Mac Friends,

It's Mediabb from Mobishark - (SharkModem) > www.mobishark.com . We've been meaning to write something on this thread for some time now. We looked into doing something for the MAC USERS. I had a MAC developer friend of the team investigate this, and of course to implement something on the lines of what we have (mac side.. porting..etc) it's not a easy task.. but it's doable! Problem is .. I guess getting some numbers as to the ROI is the mean question of concern.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #54
jeffleeismyhero

Model: NA

I do not yet have a blackberry. I have been looking at the 7130c for the past few weeks and the ONLY hold up is that I cannot use it as a modem (bluetooth or tethered) on my MacBook Pro. I would pay a decent amount of money to get this functionality.

If the modem feature doesn't happen within the next two to three months I will be stuck getting the larger Cingular 8125 because it does work with Macs the way I need it to.

As for your ROI... I'd be willing to pony up 150$ for a stable solution...
Old 07-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #55
alexkingorg

The Bounty I started is up to $475, with little publicity and folks having to trust a stranger with their money - so that should tell you something.

Mac users are definitely a small market share, but they tend to be much more "active" with their computers and are willing to pay for good 3rd party software, etc. which explains the lively small developer community.

My take: you'll be selling to a smaller market, but you'll have an opportunity to sell to a larger segment of that market.

With a $50 pricetag and some good press on the Mac sites, I think you'd get a lot of takers.

I sure would love to send you that bounty money!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #56
Spankypoo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkingorg
The Bounty I started is up to $475, with little publicity and folks having to trust a stranger with their money - so that should tell you something.

Mac users are definitely a small market share, but they tend to be much more "active" with their computers and are willing to pay for good 3rd party software, etc. which explains the lively small developer community.

My take: you'll be selling to a smaller market, but you'll have an opportunity to sell to a larger segment of that market.

With a $50 pricetag and some good press on the Mac sites, I think you'd get a lot of takers.

I sure would love to send you that bounty money!
Yeah, it wouldn't be any trick at all to get press on most (if not all) of the major Mac news sites.

And if you could manage to make it tether over Bluetooth, that'd be doubly sweet.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #57
slapshotw

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkingorg

I couldn't agree with this statement more. Although there are more windows computers out there, the vast majority of windows users don't want to/can't buy any 3rd-party utilities. In the mac world, a very solid percentage of the market is actively seeking out 3rd-party software and supporting the developer community.

-Matt
Old 07-23-2006, 02:00 AM   #58
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay - Okay - I'll try and contact our developer again between this weekend and next week to see what we can come up with. But the key is finding time. I know this is an application the MAC users would love to see the most. Let's see what happens

Note: This is an attempt not a promise... but we will gave it a try!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #59
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default 07/30/2006 - Blackberry Modem via MAC - UPDATE

Greeting Mac User!

Hope your weekend is going great. Just wanted to drop by and give you guys an update on the Macintosh Blackberry Modem Project. Please visit the link below to get a new update on "Utilizing your Blackberry as a modem via a MAC". > Mobishark Blackberry Blog

Many Thanks!

Old 07-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #60
coastieboy00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE9FC0
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

What link?
Closed Thread