Donbp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekisdman View Post
Okay, I'm glad this is a topic here. So, basically, one is able to get a minimum voice plan ($39.99) plus a data plan ($29.99) equaling $69.99 a month? Does anyone happen to know off hand if a discount (20%) is given through your employer, if it would be 20% off the total $69.99 monthly cost, or only the $39.99 voice plan?
Only on the voice plan unless you buy the Blackberry plan which combines both voice and data in one bill and then it would be 20% off that combined price.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #22
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoLogic View Post
Hate to bust your bubble again. It's not unlimited data:

Terms and Service agreement says:

Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
That's to eliminate tethering the BB to a laptop. As I recall, Tmob allows tethering but Verizon frowns on it, hence that clause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyk42 View Post
The $70 plan is actually the $40 voice plan with the $30 dollar internet and email add-on.
Does anyone know if the $99 blackberry plan with text, email and data include tethering?
No way Jose. Tethering is a bunch more (I think at least $40/month).
Old 11-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #23
tommyk42
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-mobile

So is the reason for the higher price on that plan because it's for BES?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #24
StuartV

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Tethering is a $15/month add-on to any of the Verizon plans.

My current plan is:

$60 - 900 anytime voice minutes
$45 - Blackberry Enterprise Services (unlimited data)
$15 - tethering
$10 - 500 text messages

Sub Total: $130 / month, less a 15% Govt Employee discount

Final Total: $110.50 + tax
Verizon 9550
Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #25
StuartV

ps. I was on BIS before, instead of BES. The breakdown was exactly the same except it was $30 for BIS, instead of $45 for BES. So, I added $15 per month to Verizon and $20 per month to MailStreet for Hosted Exchange w/BES for a total of an extra $35/month. $1 per day to eliminate all the PITA email management I was having to do it TOTALLY worth it (to me). No more reading all my messages twice and deleting them from both places. No more not being able to see messages that I sent in my Sent Items because I sent them from my BB.

Maybe not worth it to everybody, but definitely is to me!
Verizon 9550
Old 11-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
tommyk42

Carrier: T-mobile

Thanks StuartV
Old 11-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #27
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Default My way witb BIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
ps. I was on BIS before, instead of BES. The breakdown was exactly the same except it was $30 for BIS, instead of $45 for BES. So, I added $15 per month to Verizon and $20 per month to MailStreet for Hosted Exchange w/BES for a total of an extra $35/month. $1 per day to eliminate all the PITA email management I was having to do it TOTALLY worth it (to me). No more reading all my messages twice and deleting them from both places. No more not being able to see messages that I sent in my Sent Items because I sent them from my BB.

Maybe not worth it to everybody, but definitely is to me!
FWIW - I understand the want to have all your email in one place. I guess i am just a cheap SOB...

Here is what I do using BIS instead of BES and saving the $15.00.

My "work" email address is forwarded to my Gmail account AND my vzw.blackberry.net email accounts. Gmail so that I can have it "out there" for Outlook to download and the vzw.blackberry.net account so that it gets to my BB toot-sweet.

THEN... in the setup of my vzw.blackberry.net BIS account I have an "Auto BCC" to my Gmail account, again so that Outlook can download it.

FINALLY, I have a filter in Outlook that takes any email sent TO me BY me and places it in my "Sent Mail" folder in Outlook.

(I am attaching a screen shot of the BIS setup screen as I would have it configured.)

A bit obtuse, perhaps... worth more than $180 in a year... I think so.

Now... I am sure there are other ideas, I am sure there are flames waiting for me, but this works for me in my little world.

I look forward to the comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.png
Views:	526
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	13647  
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #28
StuartV

If I have understood you correctly, you have these characteristics in your setup:

- You have to "read" your email on your BB, in your personal Outlook, and in your work email client. You read it in one place and it does not show as "Read" in the other places. That's one of the problems I fixed for myself by switching to Hosted Exchange.

- You have to delete each message from your BB, your personal Outlook, and your work email client. That's another problem I fixed for myself by switching to Hosted Exchange.

- If you have incoming mail that gets automatically put in folders in Outlook, you get it in your BB Inbox and don't have any access, on your BB, to your folder organization that you have in Outlook. That's another problem I fixed for myself by switching to Hosted Exchange.

When I was on BIS, I spent a fair bit of time each day deleting messages from Outlook that I had already read and deleted on my BB. I also spent a fair amount of time re-reading messages that I had already read on my BB, just to make sure it was actually one I had already read and not a new one that came in with the same subject line.

I didn't know about the auto-BCC option in BIS. That would have solved the problem for me of having messages that I sent from my BB not showing up in my Sent Items.

All that said, $1 a day to solve those other issues is worth it to me!
Verizon 9550
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #29
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
If I have understood you correctly, you have these characteristics in your setup:

- You have to "read" your email on your BB, in your personal Outlook, and in your work email client. You read it in one place and it does not show as "Read" in the other places. That's one of the problems I fixed for myself by switching to Hosted Exchange.

- You have to delete each message from your BB, your personal Outlook, and your work email client. That's another problem I fixed for myself by switching to Hosted Exchange.

- If you have incoming mail that gets automatically put in folders in Outlook, you get it in your BB Inbox and don't have any access, on your BB, to your folder organization that you have in Outlook. That's another problem I fixed for myself by switching to Hosted Exchange.

When I was on BIS, I spent a fair bit of time each day deleting messages from Outlook that I had already read and deleted on my BB. I also spent a fair amount of time re-reading messages that I had already read on my BB, just to make sure it was actually one I had already read and not a new one that came in with the same subject line.

I didn't know about the auto-BCC option in BIS. That would have solved the problem for me of having messages that I sent from my BB not showing up in my Sent Items.

All that said, $1 a day to solve those other issues is worth it to me!
Like I said... I guess I am just cheap.

You are correct about each counter point you made. 100% correct. I have to deal with "mark as read" issues and I don't have sorting on my BB. But I have to say that it all works fine for me. I ""know" that I have read things, so when I get to Outlook I can just do a big "mark as read". If I got something important in email that I have to address, I create a reminder to do it or I reply from my BB.

As far as "deleting" email from my BB, I just let them fade away on the auto delete, I am only interested in knowing I have email and that I can reply to it without my laptop. Outlook is where I must have my email.

To be honest, I am a pack-rat for email. I will archive it and burn it to DVD before I worry about deleting. In fact, I have found that being able to go back to my email archives has saved me numerous times in the past. I work in an environment where a cycle of work may take over a year to complete and sometimes someone says "I sent that to you before" and "before" is more than a year ago.

I am happy that you pointed out the shortcomings of my approach. It lets others more fully evaluate the options.

Thanks for the dialog.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #30
joeygator

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

If you use yahoo for email, you can't do outlook without upgrading for $20/year, but the read, deleted, etc works fine. I have not idea how it would work with outlook.

I have hosted BES and in addition to the email issues being simple, calendar and tasks work seamlessly too. Very worth it to me as well!

And when you replace your device for some unforeseen reason, almost everything downloads as soon as you activate. Even the password keeper information. Much safer!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #31
TheBigNewt

Carrier: Tmobile

I use Outlook Express, POP email client, and when I delete on the BB it never shows up in Outlook. That's one thing a like about the BB. I don't have Hosted Exchange either.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #32
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeygator View Post
If you use yahoo for email, you can't do outlook without upgrading for $20/year, but the read, deleted, etc works fine. I have not idea how it would work with outlook.
On the note about POPping Yahoo! Mail... you could check out YPOPS.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #33
joeygator

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
I use Outlook Express, POP email client, and when I delete on the BB it never shows up in Outlook. That's one thing a like about the BB. I don't have Hosted Exchange either.
What email service are you using? Some sync and some don't.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #34
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnsassy View Post
I have a BB Pearl and I purchased the 2.5 mm adapter with Mic from Best Buy, the adapter worked fine, but when ever I got a call, the person to whom I was speaking with would hear an echo. I spoke to someone at best buy and they said that it is possible that he mic from my audio systme in my car (which is voice activated) may interfer with the reception of the call bc when I plug my BB into the auxilary oulet, it may trigger the mic of the audio system thus creating a too many mic affect. Any advice?
Please don't hijack threads. If you need help, go ahead and post your own in the appropriate area.

To get back on topic - you can get that plan for 69.99 including "email and web" and the voice minutes. My parents split the 450 plan as a family plan and my mom has the Blackberry add-on so their bill is 69.99 a month + the unlimited texting charge, whatever it might be since I don't know. So it is possible.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #35
kjjb0204

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoLogic View Post
TMO is the way to go. $60 bucks/Month you get 1000 min, unlimited data, unlimited txt (SMS). End of story. Switch carriers.
Don't EVER switch carriers just because they have a better rate plan. Tmo in my region is absolutely horrible, so cheap plans don't matter when I can't make calls.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #36
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
Don't EVER switch carriers just because they have a better rate plan. Tmo in my region is absolutely horrible, so cheap plans don't matter when I can't make calls.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #37
NeoLogic

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

That was a bit of sarcasm I threw in there, hence the " ;) "
But your right, don't just switch carriers unless you do your research first
Closed Thread