BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
bmustaf

Model: 7290
Carrier: VZW
Default I feel like I've been poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick (usability)

Please Login to Remove!

I have to say, I loved the Tour when I first got it, but I have quickly realized that I am settling on so many fronts.

My corporate groupware is Lotus Notes, so of course, that leaves me with the BlackBerry as my only option for meaningful mobile connectivity. So, I'm a bit of a captive. My personal phone has been an iPhone (1G and now 3GS). It has its own issues, and I had even retired my iPhone a year or so ago and went full BlackBerry until a couple of weeks ago when my iPod died and moved up to an iPhone 3GS to replace it.

I guess I had become accustomed to freezes, 20 minute reboots, unresponsive OS that suddenly processes all your key clicks 5-10-30-90 seconds after become catatonic as "normal".

How can RIM think that the user experience on the Tour is OK when devices like the iPhone, my Touch 3G, etc are out there with a WONDERFUL and RESPONSIVE user interface?

It's amazing how you'll settle for when you don't know/forget there is better. Now, I have to stick with the BlackBerry b/c it's my only gateway into the Corporate Island of Notes, but man, at least now I know it is stuck in the stone age.

So, the constructive part of my post:

Why is the UI so slow on the RIM? It CAN be fast and responsive, but there are times it is useless. I am glad Apple does not allow background processes, because that is the death of the RIM UI. BUT even after a clean wipe and no 3rd party software, the BlackBerry ignores me for a few seconds and then snaps back. Never happens with my iPhone. I find it hard to believe RIM cannot meet this standard.

I remember back in the day the idea of the "preemptive" operating system, that prioritized user interface tasks and did IO/Network read/writes asynchronously. Seems like the RIM will freeze when the radio chipset needs "special attention", etc. Is there a good reason RIM hasn't shielded the user interface from menial kernel tasks/interrupts?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Mods - please move to Rants and Raves.

Where was the constructive part?

You should IMMEDIATELY return the BlackBerry.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
bmustaf

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Mods - please move to Rants and Raves.

Where was the constructive part?

You should IMMEDIATELY return the BlackBerry.
Well, I was hoping someone who understood the design of the BB OS could talk about how tasks are scheduled, how the UI layer interacts with the Kernel.

If discussing why you're asking a question qualifies it as a Rant, fine, move it, but really, I was pretty clear with my question.

I was also pretty clear that I have to stick with the BB b/c it's my only gateway into Lotus Notes. So, I'd love to return it and not have the frustration, but instead I was hoping someone here could help me understand why the BB is doing what it is doing instead of just being blindly frustrated by a device that isn't doing things in what I think is the "right way".
Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

I have had not a single one of the problems that you report.

.53 was pretty quick on my Tour and 5.0.0.230 is hyperfast.

Try upgrading.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 10-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Sounds like a bad device.
The first batch did have some problems (trackball related mostly i believe)
most that exchanged for a new one haven't had problems since.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I replied the way I did as it was apparent to me that you will NEVER like the BlackBerry, regardless of whether or not it is the only device available to you.

Perhaps a replacement, or different Verizon BlackBerry, would be less stressful.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
ffejie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

I think your problem is actually tied to your enterprise. I've had much better performance with my Blackberry off of my enterprise server. The device was quicker and had much better battery performance. Try fully encrypting an iPhone and see how it runs.
Closed Thread