BostonDriver
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
I think you should exchange it under warranty.
How long is the warranty? My "30 day" return with full refund from Sprint may be up.

I fully charged at 9:10, when I posted. At 9:38, I was down to 80% according to options->status. Since I actually need to use this away from a desk later on, I had to charge it and end the experiment.

As the coffee kicks in, I can think of just 2 differences from what I've been doing since day 1 with the 8130.

1) dentist apt. - the hygienist seems to be on a different time zone than the rest of us. She was 30 min late. I played with the BB (web etc.) for a half hour, just web. Signal may have been bad, lost IP connectivity and had to reboot twice to get it back.

2) replaced my 2GB miniSD with a 4GB a few hours ago. My power issues started yesterday aft however, long before the miniSD swap (it only arrived last night.)
Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #102
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDriver View Post
How long is the warranty? My "30 day" return with full refund from Sprint may be up.

I fully charged at 9:10, when I posted. At 9:38, I was down to 80% according to options->status. Since I actually need to use this away from a desk later on, I had to charge it and end the experiment.

As the coffee kicks in, I can think of just 2 differences from what I've been doing since day 1 with the 8130.

1) dentist apt. - the hygienist seems to be on a different time zone than the rest of us. She was 30 min late. I played with the BB (web etc.) for a half hour, just web. Signal may have been bad, lost IP connectivity and had to reboot twice to get it back.

2) replaced my 2GB miniSD with a 4GB a few hours ago. My power issues started yesterday aft however, long before the miniSD swap (it only arrived last night.)
Is your phone still running a temperature? If so you need to return it. That warranty is one year. No phone should feel warm/hot at anytime. The battery should not be down to 80% after an hour unless you're talking on the phone. Having apps open doesn't really affect the battery life unless the phone is acquiring a ton of messages. It's using the radios/bandwidth that sucks the battery, and having the screen lit up. That's pretty easy to figure out.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #103
BostonDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
Is your phone still running a temperature? If so you need to return it. That warranty is one year. No phone should feel warm/hot at anytime. The battery should not be down to 80% after an hour unless you're talking on the phone. Having apps open doesn't really affect the battery life unless the phone is acquiring a ton of messages. It's using the radios/bandwidth that sucks the battery, and having the screen lit up. That's pretty easy to figure out.
Not anymore. Reading elsewhere on this board (which is a FANTASTIC resource) looking for help on other annoying issues I found advice where pulling the battery helps. So I did this at noon. I fully charged (as I moved a lot of music to that new 4GB miniSD). At 12:45 battery was at 100%. Its;s an hour later and I'm still at 100%, and the device is normal temp.

Others may want to try this. I do have soft reset, that didn't suffice.

Update:
Now 3 hours since battery pull; power is 95%. 2 Hours was still 100%. I'm not doing much, IM's are up, no mail, no calls. Same as yesterday except battery drained. If things continue to look good, I'll start listening to music and/or reach out and touch some friends. I'll update later with results in the hopes of helping out others who search in the future.

Last edited by BostonDriver; 01-23-2008 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Updated Status
Old 01-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #104
itsjesuslol

I think i got one of the unlucky batteries. With Sprint by the way.

My first day, I fully charged it, used it to the max, came home and it was still at 80%.

Saturday, I got the BB Power Vision pack added, fully charged it. Drove about 2-3 hours the whole time using Sprint's GPS while making about 10-15 calls and by night the battery was 60%.

Sunday, I woke up and noticed my battery was 30%. So i fully charged it, went about my day with minimal use, and was astonished to see the whole battery depleted and my phone was off.

Ever since sunday, the battery life has been horrendous. 2hr of talking depletes an entire charge. Just today I charged it twice and made 2 calls.

What am I to do? What good is a blackberry if it only lasts me 2 hours.... seriously.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #105
BBing

Carrier: Tel

Same here -battery life performance below expectations, relative to the specs that say 9days of standby or 4hrs talk time...

My typical day has 5-6 emails, some BB to BB texting and a 2-3 calls and its down to about 40% by 7pm after unplugging a 'fully charged' device at say 7am. I estimate my total usage is around 1hr for all those apps. I would have expected with that usage the battery to be at about 70% or more still, but I have no comparison since I'm new to this, so it could be the 900mah fact I read about compared to the bigger batteries in the others.

I wonder when BB says this battery can go for 9days on standby, does it mean the device is on (and no usage) or turned off? I experimented yesterday with a 'fully charged' battery with the data services (EV) off, and then just having it on with no usage. From 2pm to 9pm, the battery was still at 100% -telling me that with EV on, maybe my urban location (EV kicks off and on at times) and push/pull activities and pop email accts throughout a day could be the key reasons the battery drains faster. But, like you all say, whats the use of a BB if you have to turn on and off data to call, text, email and browse automatically in a day just so you can have a little better than dead battery by supper, especially when the specs say 4hrs of straight talk. I'll go get a new warranty battery replacement since I'm just outside my 30days and then try a few things you guys are doing, but look forward to the extended battery release. Until then I'll lower my battery life expectations based on my locale and setup... hehe

Thanks, this thread tells me I'm not alone!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #106
Redflea

Carrier: Verizon

I'm nowhere near 40% after a day of multiple emails, browsing, a few calls, and other misc use, tweaking, app installs, etc.

I'm usually in the 60% to 70% range in the evening.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #107
BostonDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDriver View Post
Not anymore. Reading elsewhere on this board (which is a FANTASTIC resource) looking for help on other annoying issues I found advice where pulling the battery helps. So I did this at noon. I fully charged (as I moved a lot of music to that new 4GB miniSD). At 12:45 battery was at 100%. Its;s an hour later and I'm still at 100%, and the device is normal temp.
Since my last post I've been having no problem with my battery. I've been using it more as well, taking advantage of the non-phone features. I don't know what caused the device to run a temperature, but pulling the battery seemed to make it go back to normal.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #108
The Jerk

PIN: 3181b1fe
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I would never go anywhere over night with out a charger or a road trip with out a car charger so that face that after 12+ hours,my BB 8130 is still a 50% battery life.......Im not to shaken up.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #109
BBing

Carrier: Tel

Well since my last post I still haven't had 'improved' battery life -after getting a replacement and even after trying to minimize all battery burning apps or following tips from the forum and BB's website.

I still like the lil bugga, so I'll live with it and charge it whenever I can. I also see seidio now has the 1250 battery -awesome! This original battery will soon be my back-up.

From frequent usage lately, I really think my rural location (as mentioned) causes most of the premature draining, because the 1X and EV indicators are constantly going out, making the unit work harder at updating everytime the indicators return. When I am in the city the 1X and EV are constant, so the push/pull activity for my email accounts and whatever else it does when the indicators kick on, are more routine. Thats my guess anyway.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #110
kitmoni
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: >Options>Status

I don't know what's causing the drain but I'm experiencing it too. On my 8703e I never had an issue with battery wear. Same talk patterns on my 8130 have it needing a power source by 4pm. I may have to try the Seido, but for now it sounds like the battery is not as robust as advertised.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #111
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360

I'm experiencing an issue with charging. I usually leave my 8130 plugged in overnight usually between 6-7 hours. Prior to plugging in its roughly between 50%-70% capacity. Well when I check the phone in the morning, I sometimes see the battery has not charged fully, almost where it was the night before. I try a battery pull to reset it and sometimes the battery will show as fully charged and sometimes it will not. Has anyone experienced an issue like this?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #112
cher

For the last two weeks I have been awakened by the "beep" of my phone calling for some juice. Couldn't figure out the problem, looked here and noted my BT was enabled to use my Freedom keyboard... Turned it off until needed and have not needed to recharge for 2 days again!

Last edited by cher; 03-20-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: always spelling mistakes..doh
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #113
geekdaddy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I used an 8100 on AT&T for over a year. I'm a heavy user and I could always get through the day with bluetooth enabled, BES/BIS, and beejive working. Really.

Just got a new 8130 from Sprint because AT&T's coverage is bad here (finally got fed up with it). I LOVE the new features and OS on the 8130, but I can barely get through half a day on a charge. I'll do some cycling/conditioning to see how much that helps, but VERY disappointed with the battery life thus far...
Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #114
HustleDriven

Carrier: Telus

I didn't read all this but I wanted to comment because I had a problem recently. I learned about switching off application being part of the issue and yet it continued to be a dilemma. After a hard restart, taking the battery out, it has gone back to normal.

Make sure that when your on the main screen, that you hit Menu > Menu > Switch Applications. You should have only 5 running (BB Messenger, Messages, Home, Call Log, & Browser [but only bookmarks page]). This is for your own good. But do a hard restart with the battery out.

Regards.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #115
geekdaddy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Working better now...

OK -- don't know what happened, but there's been a rapid improvement on my sprint 8130. Battery life is ok now.

I didn't change anything. Just put a couple charge/discharge cycles into the battery. But it's been a huge improvement.

I can easily get thru the day now with normal usage. Wish I could tell you how I fixed it but I didn't do anything...
Old 03-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #116
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdaddy View Post
OK -- don't know what happened, but there's been a rapid improvement on my sprint 8130. Battery life is ok now.

I didn't change anything. Just put a couple charge/discharge cycles into the battery. But it's been a huge improvement.

I can easily get thru the day now with normal usage. Wish I could tell you how I fixed it but I didn't do anything...
That's all it takes. A couple charge/discharge cycles really does do wonders.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #117
Goran008
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 249FF501
Carrier: AT&T

Theres few things that i figured out which help increase battery life...

1. Pull the battery at least once a day (in a crazy way it helps).
2. Press and hold ALT button than press L, G, L, G (this takes you to Event Log) press menu and clear all logs...This option also frees up some space on your phone.
3. Turn off Bluetooth.

G
Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 AM   #118
VirexInc
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran008 View Post
Theres few things that i figured out which help increase battery life...

1. Pull the battery at least once a day (in a crazy way it helps).
2. Press and hold ALT button than press L, G, L, G (this takes you to Event Log) press menu and clear all logs...This option also frees up some space on your phone.
3. Turn off Bluetooth.

G
well make sure you back those logs up before deleting them because they can come in handy
Old 10-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #119
lbrty9

Model: 9630

Was wondering if anybody had gotten the Seidio 1250 battery and might be willing to discuss their opinion of it. Is it worthwhile? How much did it increase your daily battery life by?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #120
Redflea

There's a separate thread on the Seidio battery - if you search on seidio and/or 1250 you should find it easily. Those of us who purchased it when it first released provided a lot of feedback on it...as I remember we were all pleased w/the results, but it's been too long since I got it to remember the details. Search for the thread and you'll get what you need. I recommend it very much.
Closed Thread