Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:58 AM   #101
pdxchick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon 7250 questions

Please Login to Remove!

Newer BB user, loving the 7250 after switching from the Treo. I tried searching and didn't come up with these answers so here it goes:

1) I seem to miss lots of calls. I will be sitting at my desk not touching the BB and the voicemail indicator will come on. I know my profiles for alerts are right. Wondering if calls can come in when there is data arrrows in the upper left hand corner.

2) I am using the Jabra BT250 - like it but it seems to crackle when I am driving. The other person can't hear it but it is very noticeable on my end. Is this common?

3) Anyone recommend a good expense tracker and mileage log for 4.0 handheld software?

Sorry for all the questions... I have instant email working by forwarding my POP account to my backberry.net account and I also can use MSN IM through Verichat which is new but seems to rock so far.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is repetitive.

- pdxchick
Old 02-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #102
ahughes

Default Re: Verizon 7250 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxchick
1) I seem to miss lots of calls. I will be sitting at my desk not touching the BB and the voicemail indicator will come on. I know my profiles for alerts are right. Wondering if calls can come in when there is data arrrows in the upper left hand corner.
From what I understand, you can not use Data or Voice at the same time. If you are using the data network (the blue data arrows are flashing) all of your calls will go directly to voicemail.

I believe that some other carriers will interupt your data connection so your phone will ring. Once the phone call is finished the data connection will resume. Verizon does not do it this way.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #103
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

While I can't speak directly to the Jabra 250, I can tell you that a search of this forum and others will turn up lots of users that have problems with the Jabra headsets and crackling. The Sony Ericsson and the Motorola seem to be the preferred headsets. I have also seen a few favorable reviews on the Plantronics ones. I tried the earlier Jabra and returned it because of that very issue.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 02-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #104
FXS

From what I understand, you can not use Data or Voice at the same time. If you are using the data network (the blue data arrows are flashing) all of your calls will go directly to voicemail.

I believe that some other carriers will interupt your data connection so your phone will ring. Once the phone call is finished the data connection will resume. Verizon does not do it this way.[/quote]

Is this true, I am set to receive my BB 7250 any day now, and I would be disapointed to say the least, if while waiting for an email to arrive I couldn't get a phonecall. Any further info is much appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:44 AM   #105
rta53
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm

My boss just informed me that his 7750 died. He went to the Verizon store and they told him they would order him a new one. He wants to get the new 7250 but I have a feeling he is not going to like the smaller screen. I wonder why they changed it? I am going now to show him a picture of it. It looks like my Nextel 7520 without the antenna. I'm wondering if they redesigned it this way because they plan to add 2-way radio capability to future models? How does the 7250 compare in thickness to the 7750. One of the things my boss likes is just slipping the thing into his shirt pocket which doesn't really work well with the Nextel because of its added thickness.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #106
datadump

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXS

I believe that some other carriers will interupt your data connection so your phone will ring. Once the phone call is finished the data connection will resume. Verizon does not do it this way.
Is this true, I am set to receive my BB 7250 any day now, and I would be disapointed to say the least, if while waiting for an email to arrive I couldn't get a phonecall. Any further info is much appreciated, thanks.[/quote]

if youre sending/receiving data the any incoming voice calls will go directly to vmail. this is the limitation on CDMA 1x networks as implemented by network vendors like nortel etc... all 1x networks (including verizon) suffer from this issue. its funny how this isnt already fixed/changed. its totally doable (to suspend the data and allow voice calls to pre-empt the data) but no vendor actually does this!!
Old 02-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #107
p_dizzo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: BM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53
My boss just informed me that his 7750 died. He went to the Verizon store and they told him they would order him a new one. He wants to get the new 7250 but I have a feeling he is not going to like the smaller screen. I wonder why they changed it? I am going now to show him a picture of it. It looks like my Nextel 7520 without the antenna. I'm wondering if they redesigned it this way because they plan to add 2-way radio capability to future models? How does the 7250 compare in thickness to the 7750. One of the things my boss likes is just slipping the thing into his shirt pocket which doesn't really work well with the Nextel because of its added thickness.
they didn't change anything, the 72xx series are all the same size, which is smaller then the 77xx series, but the chatter comes from the fact that CDMA has not had any new models since the 7750.. and it's been long overdue for a faster and comparable CDMA chipset to the GSM chipsets that make using a blackberry fun(if you don't know what i mean, try using the 7750.. it gets silly waiting for the unit to pop up with a new sms, etc)

although, myself and others appreciate a smaller unit then the 7750.. it will be thicker then the 7750, but there are way too many benefits to pass up the 7250 and get another 7750.. take a close look at the posts, and hopefully, your boss will make a wise decision.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #108
rta53

Thanks for the comments. After I talked with him he is fine with getting the 7250. We are trying to work out a deal with Verizon because he is only 3 months into a 1 year contract.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:41 AM   #109
pdxchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
While I can't speak directly to the Jabra 250, I can tell you that a search of this forum and others will turn up lots of users that have problems with the Jabra headsets and crackling. The Sony Ericsson and the Motorola seem to be the preferred headsets. I have also seen a few favorable reviews on the Plantronics ones. I tried the earlier Jabra and returned it because of that very issue.
Thanks for the feedback... I just boght the Mot and will give it a try (once I get over the star-trek thing). I hear it works great and once you get used to it you hardle feel it is there... Thanks again...
Old 02-17-2005, 12:48 AM   #110
pdxchick

Quote:

This is a bummer. I am on Veizon's 6000 minute plan and while I love instant email on my .net address, IM, and browsing, I would prioritize phone calls and my cell number is my primary number in my advertising. I will try data tech services to see if there is any hope of changing this.

Thanks to barjohn and FXS for your responses. I wil lgo to handango for expense/mileage ideas. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2005, 07:47 AM   #111
BB_WayCool

pdxchick, when you get your Moto, can you post results. I got an HS850 and had to return it because it produced a very pronounced echo on the other end. I shipped it back and exchanged it for the Jabra 250. I am hoping that I don't get the crackling problem you noticed.

Even if it works, I will most likely miss the comfort and size of the Moto.

Would appreciate your feedback or any one else that is using a 7250 so I can find a decent wireless headset.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:06 AM   #112
barjohn

I should post one other caveat. I found the volume of the Jabra far too low and the noise transmitted to the other end far too high when I was in a noisy environment like an airport. If you travel like I do, make sure that the noise cancelling is adequate. I like this site's http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp...;source=SEARCH reviews (this is just one of many) because he records MP3 files so you can hear how the different headsets he tests sound under three conditions: 1) normal use, 2) Noise test and 3) wind test. It is amazing how different the headsets sound. He also discusses issues such as range, comfort, ease of use, etc.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 02-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #113
rta53

barjohn,

Thanks for the link to mobileburn. I thought it was interesting that the first review that came up was for the Logitech Mobile Freedom Bluetooth headset which I already own. This headset is hard to beat for the price. It has worked well for me. While it may not be the coolest looking headset, I was gladly willing to give up some coolness factor for the cost savings. I would recommend it to anyone with a bluetooth BB.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #114
roofus

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_dizzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53
they didn't change anything, the 72xx series are all the same size, which is smaller then the 77xx series, but the chatter comes from the fact that CDMA has not had any new models since the 7750.. and it's been long overdue for a faster and comparable CDMA chipset to the GSM chipsets that make using a blackberry fun(if you don't know what i mean, try using the 7750.. it gets silly waiting for the unit to pop up with a new sms, etc)

although, myself and others appreciate a smaller unit then the 7750.. it will be thicker then the 7750, but there are way too many benefits to pass up the 7250 and get another 7750.. take a close look at the posts, and hopefully, your boss will make a wise decision.
So how does the speed of the 7250 compare to the GPRS 7290?
Old 02-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #115
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

The 7230/7280 are the same size.

The 7290 is about 2 millimeters thicker.

Not sure about the 7250, but it should be the same form factor as one of the above.

Web browsing on the 7250 is confirmed significantly faster than the 7290 by a person who has both devices. However, Verichat latency is reported to be a bit higher (i.e. longer delays between packets), meaning it takes longer for someone to respond in Verichat.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-20-2005, 02:01 AM   #116
barjohn

Does anyone know for sure which chip set the 7250 uses? Is it the Qualcomm MSM 6500 or the MSM 6550? The latter supports Bluetooth 1.2. Both support Pure Voice voice recognition technology and many other features that RIM does not make available.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 02-20-2005, 03:46 AM   #117
geekman686
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

The BB 7290 and the BB7250 are the same size.

Both are thicker than the 7230/7280.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #118
p_dizzo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: BM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
Does anyone know for sure which chip set the 7250 uses? Is it the Qualcomm MSM 6500 or the MSM 6550? The latter supports Bluetooth 1.2. Both support Pure Voice voice recognition technology and many other features that RIM does not make available.
MSM 6500.. and i was asking in other forums/threads about bluetooth version on the 7250.. but after looking at Qualcomm's website on that chipset, i think it's gonna be v1.1.. booo...
Old 02-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #119
barjohn

Too bad it is the MSM 6500 however, look at this list of features supported:

The MSM6500 interfaces with a variety of radio frequency (RF) system
devices, including:
• Quad-mode chips that enable dual-band CDMA roaming
(RFL6000™, RFR6000™, RFT6100™)
• Cost-optimized integrated cellular chips (RFR6120™, RFR6125™,
RFT6120™)
• A high-band CDMA2000 1X receiver chip (RFR6135™)
• A multimode RF chip that enables CDMA2000 1X (800/900 MHz)
and GSM (900/1800 MHz) roaming (RTR6300™)
The baseband and RF chipsets are supported by QUALCOMM's
powerOne™ series PM6650™ power management device and a
compatible power amplifier device. These devices perform all of the
signal processing and power management in the subscriber unit.
MSM6500 Device Features
• CDMA2000 1xEV-DO (IS-856) support
• CDMA2000 1X (IS-2000) support
• GSM/GPRS support, 3GPP compliant Revision 99 class B, multi-slot
class 10 data services
• Receive diversity on CDMA2000 1X and CDMA2000 1xEV-DO systems
• High-performance ARM926EJ-S microprocessor core with memory
management unit (MMU)
• Java hardware acceleration through Jazelle core for faster
Java-based games and other applets
• Advanced QDSP4000 DSP cores
• Integrated MPEG-4 decoder/encoder for streaming
video-on-demand (VOD) and video-mail applications
• Integrated JPEG decoder/encoder for camera-based applications
• Integrated 2D/3D graphics accelerator engine for a more enhanced
user experience
• Integrated Bluetooth® baseband processor for wireless connectivity
to peripherals
• Integrated QUALCOMM gpsOne® position location functionality
• Integrated wideband stereo codec for digital audio applications
• Qtunes™ audio decoder
DUPLEXER

In other words, things like MP3 files could be supported, position location software, host mode I/O for USB for keyboards etc.

I'm not sure how to get access to the functionality but Qualcomm offers a software developers package with an SDK and much of the functionality already coded for developers and carriers. Note also that the chip supports GSM/GPRS so you could have a device that supports both CDMA and GPRS.[/img]

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 02-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #120
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Benchmark tests show that the CPU in BlackBerry model 7250 performs twice as fast as the BlackBerry model 7230 or 7280!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Closed Thread