BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
Combat Medic

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default Satellite BlackBerry?

Please Login to Remove!

Has anybody heard any rumors about a satellite Black Berry? I'm currently in the middle of hell, and no cell phones work at all. The only thing we can use is sat phones. Which made me think, that having a Black Berry that would work anywhere in the world would be cool.

-Mike
Old 08-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
NouveauVision

Model: 8100
Carrier: CellOne

I can tell you that Sat Phones aren't all they're cracked up to be either. I bought one last summer, because I'm in the middle of nowhere too. I had so many problems with it, that I sent it back. I was lucky if I could keep a connection up for 30 seconds, and that's if I could even get a connection to begin with. My TracFones worked better than the Sat Phone. I sent the Sat Phone back. I now have service through Cellular One, and was very surprised that I'm even getting a data signal down here in the basement!!! The other thing about SATs, is that you'll have to be OUTSIDE with an UN-obstructed view of the sky... and then if it's raining... that's another story all together.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
Combat Medic

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by NouveauVision
I can tell you that Sat Phones aren't all they're cracked up to be either. I bought one last summer, because I'm in the middle of nowhere too. I had so many problems with it, that I sent it back. I was lucky if I could keep a connection up for 30 seconds, and that's if I could even get a connection to begin with. My TracFones worked better than the Sat Phone. I sent the Sat Phone back. I now have service through Cellular One, and was very surprised that I'm even getting a data signal down here in the basement!!! The other thing about SATs, is that you'll have to be OUTSIDE with an UN-obstructed view of the sky... and then if it's raining... that's another story all together.
It's true that they have their negitives, but they would work where I'm at. (Iraq) And, the way that I figure it, they could just sync up everytime they see the sats. So, it doesn't matter if you have to be outside for it to work. Anytime you go smoke, go to chow, or go to the head it can sync up to your eMail.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
NouveauVision

Model: 8100
Carrier: CellOne

I guess I just expected too much from my Sat phone. It was very frustrating just trying to keep a simple voice connection for more than 20-30 secs. I had a Globalstar GSP-1600 Portable Satellite Phone by Qualcomm through BlueCosmo. Maybe it was just my location? I'm in the very North East part of Wisconsin. But they were very nice about it, and allowed me to return my equipment (including data kit) for a discounted refund.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Sat phones are certainly expensive products which we hire out on a short term basis. The line of sight to the sky thing has always frustrated me a little but I guess it's just part of the technology. Because of the nature of cellular sites we've all got used to making calls where ever we are with our mobile phones and it's hard to see something different as acceptable!!! I guess if you're somewhere remote or in a country that's war torn and most of the telecoms infrastructure has been damaged or destroyed there isn't much else you can do....your BlackBerry certainly isn't gonna work!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
iamchrismullins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Mike,

You may have to wait for that technology to catch up with you. Unfortunately as the gentlemen mentioned earlier..there just isnt that much infrastructure in the middle east or SW Asia for BB type of services..locally or globally.

I dont blv the sat connectivity (inmarsat or even our tacsats) will/would give you the connectivity you need.

Ask around and see if the SOCOM guys are using anything special/COTS type stuff that works in SWAsia..unless its classified I am sure you will hear more than you expected.

from a retired combat vet who served in 1st AD, 82nd, 5th SFG as a comms Sr. NCO, gulf war part 1 and later in bosnia as well

Good luck and get home safe my brother..

Been there: PDA/Palm/Handspring/Treo, motorola, nokia, t-mobile, BB 970,975,7100, motorola BK devices

Last edited by iamchrismullins; 08-15-2005 at 11:21 PM..
Old 08-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Medic
It's true that they have their negitives, but they would work where I'm at. (Iraq) And, the way that I figure it, they could just sync up everytime they see the sats. So, it doesn't matter if you have to be outside for it to work. Anytime you go smoke, go to chow, or go to the head it can sync up to your eMail.
I have one question jut out of curiousity. Are you using a civilian communication sat. or a military? I ask just because I'm sure that the military ones work much better than civilian version. You can't have a call from your commander at Ops dropping.. HAHA...
Closed Thread