Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Trying in vain to resuscitate my 8100

Please Login to Remove!

I know there are several similar threads out there but I wanted to post the specific details regarding my situation and not hijack anyone else's thread.

How the ish hit the fan:
-Plugged in my phone to laptop in attempt to tether
-DM says I have an update available, I think "sure, why not"
-Half-way through the update it fails, citing "multi-stage load operation error"

Result:
-seemingly 'bricked' phone, with just an intermittently-flashing red LED

At this point I searched several forums and did some research, and the message I got was that I would have to reload my OS. Saw some information on running JL Cmder, but decided to try the Application Loader router too.

Resolution attempt #1:
-plugged in phone (without its battery) via USB
-after repeatedly 'moving' the USB cable in an attempt to coerce the computer to recognize the phone, it finally does
-in Device Manager I see the phone is detected as "Blackberry Smartphone" or something like that

At this point I see that both the (1) Application Loader accessed directly from my desktop shortcut, as well as the version (2) I initiate via "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader -> loader.exe /nojvm" detect my phone as indicated by "USB/unknown" or something like that.

I decide to attempt the OS reinstall via option (1) as stated above.

-I click Application Loader
-select "Start" button for "Update Software" [Question: isn't the app loader supposed to detect the available OS upgrade automatically? I have previously downloaded and installed the Rogers 4.5 version onto my computer]
-select my phone via "USB/unknown"
-select the 4.2 OS and hit 'update'
-it runs well for a while, checking for "software updates" and then "removing applications" and then installing some stuff, but upon "attempting to initialize" it errors out with "multi-stage load operation error" again!

I look at my phone, and all of a sudden I now have the 507 error, and my computer keeps telling me "detecting" at the bottom right that it has found new hardware "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2", "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4)", and "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM5)". Rebooting my computer doesn't stop this nuisance either. The only way seems to be to 'disable' COM4 and COM5 via my device manager. [Question - what's going on here, will I need them enabled to restore my OS?]

Resolution attempt #2:
-After miraculously getting the phone detected by the computer, I tried "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader -> loader.exe /nojvm" this time. But near the end I got an error message saying it failed to initialize or something like that.

What do I try next? Thanks in advance...

Other notes:
-I made sure vendor.xml was deleted before trying to restore the OS
-I have also tried running JL CMDer but I think it's pointless since error 507 indicates I don't have an OS, right?

Last edited by dandelos; 12-06-2008 at 05:39 PM..
Old 12-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Try this and see if it helps.

With the BB connected, open up command prompt. Change directories to where JL_Cmder is located (Should be something like C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder) and try running the following command: javaloader.exe -u wipe

See if that kicks back an error.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Try this and see if it helps.

With the BB connected, open up command prompt. Change directories to where JL_Cmder is located (Should be something like C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder) and try running the following command: javaloader.exe -u wipe

See if that kicks back an error.
Yup, it does. I get this message --
Connecting to device...debug: COM error during Open: (0x80040001)
Error: unable to open port

Disabled COM4 and COM5 in Device Manager and tried it, and still got the same error message. What do you think?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Sounds like you may be out of luck. I would try maybe a different PC or USB port, if possible.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Also, not sure if it matters, but in these steps that I followed (obtained after googling), I can't do the part in red, because the check box is greyed out.

Quote:
1. Install the desktop software.
2. Install the handheld software. (If it is a non Vendor software.. exp. T-Mobile. search and delete the "vendor.xml" file.)
3. Pull the battery out of your device.
4. With the battery out connect the device to the computer.
5. Go to Options and select "connection settings"
6. Select USB PIN this may take a few moments since there is no battery in the device. you might even have to select detect device in some rare cases.
7. Select the application loader icon.
8. Select all software you want installed.
9. Proceed to the end portion untill you see the "Finish" button.
10. Very IMPORTANT. do not hit the finish button, instead select the ADVANCED button.
11. Make sure both boxes are checked.
12. Proceed until it asks you if you want to automatically back up and restore. Select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP MY HANDHELD.
13. Once the process starts. take care not to bump out the cord and re-insert the battery. Again on some rare occasions you might have to wait until it finishes saying connect to insert the battery.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

Wirelessly posted (8130)

I know this may sound a little weird but try connecting the BB to a USB that is a direct connect to your PC. Ie not through a USB hub or through a docking station.

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS

Last edited by Moonshadow; 12-07-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 AM   #7
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
Wirelessly posted (8130)

I know this may sound a little weird but try connecting the BB to a USB that is a direct connect to your PC. Ie not through a USB hub or through a docking station.
Thanks - yup, it was connected directly to my PC. I did manage to fix my BB. Will post details in a subsequent post.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 AM   #8
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Fixed!!!

So I finally got my Pearl up and working again, after almost a week of agony.

Here's what I did.

1) uninstalled DM4.7 (this also fixed the annoying virtual serial port issue)

2) deleted/uninstalled the BB4.2 and BB4.5 versions I had previously installed onto my computer (I wanted a fresh start)

3) downloaded and installed DM4.5, per advice from someone on another forum

4) installed BB4.5

5) removed the vendor.xml file

6) with my phone disconnected, put in the battery for a split second until the solid red LED showed, then connected the mini-usb cable to my phone and at the same time took the battery back out (this seemed to be the only way to make my PC 'detect' my phone)

7) ran Application Loader, which detected my BB4.5, and updated my phone's OS/software/apps

8) near the end (and I think this was the key step I was missing earlier), when the app loader says something like "connecting to phone" or something like that, I put the battery -back- into the phone

9) this seemed to initiate the installation of the phone's core modules, a 10 minute process or so

10) after that I got the rotating hourglass thing on my phone's screen, and after waiting about 20 minutes or so, VOILA!!

Now I have to go through the painstaking task of re-customizing my phone with themes, wallpapers, and apps, but hey, almost anything is better than a brick/paperweight. Also wonder if I'll stick with my Pearl since my contract is up in 2 months and I'll be eligible for an upgrade then....thanks to all who helped!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

Wirelessly posted (8130)

Glad you got it working..... Finally. I am curious about the battery sequencing. I had an 8100 and now have an 8130. I have never had to remove and then re insert the battery.

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS
Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
Wirelessly posted (8130)

Glad you got it working..... Finally. I am curious about the battery sequencing. I had an 8100 and now have an 8130. I have never had to remove and then re insert the battery.
In my 'research' on how to restore the BB's OS, some people made no mention of whether the battery being in or out made a difference, whereas others explicitly stated when it should be in/out. In my case, what I did seemed to be the only way to 1) get my PC to detect the phone, and 2) get the phone to initialize after being 'loaded'.
Closed Thread