Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Stumped: Hotmail not synching

Please Login to Remove!

I did a quick search for other potentially similar threads, but didn't find anything particularly useful.

I've had Hotmail and GMail set up on my 8100 for almost 2 years, and up until a short while ago (I'll get into that later), Hotmail was synching fine in both directions. I.e. if I read or deleted an email on my phone, the same email would become 'read' or deleted on my Hotmail account, and vice versa.

However 3 weeks ago I had to take leave my phone with my company's IT guys, so I manually removed my Hotmail and Gmail accounts from my 8100. When I got the phone back and I added Hotmail and Gmail back with no issues. However, Hotmail on my phone is not synching up with my Hotmail account in any way shape or form now. I'm not sure if it's because I've forgotten to do a certain step (like I said it's been almost 2 years since I last set up the email accounts on my phone), but I have set my preferences to 'reconcile' (both on my phone and on my TMobile account) where possible.

Does anyone have any idea what the deal is?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Anyone?

I read some discussions on the whole "it will sync for BES" but not "BIS", but what's confusing for me here is that I've been on BIS for all this time and it's worked. Then I BRIEFLY switched to BES and then back to BIS (in a matter of 3-4 days), and it's not synching now. I've resent the service books too, if that does anything.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
jjmach
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Maybe this time is not using IMAP and is using POP. try to manually specify IMAP that may help

Regards
Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
jjd228

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmach View Post
Maybe this time is not using IMAP and is using POP. try to manually specify IMAP that may help

Regards
you cant manually specify anything with a hotmail account. check the bis site and the device and make sure you have checked to synchronize deleted items etc. between handheld and mailbox
Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Regards
You mean on Outlook? I don't use Outlook, just the web-version, i.e. Windows Live Hotmail.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
jjmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelos View Post
You mean on Outlook? I don't use Outlook, just the web-version, i.e. Windows Live Hotmail.
I mean the way the BB pulls the e-mails from your hotmail account. when you setup the account on BIS if you don't type the password and click next, it will ask you for the incoming and outgoing e-mail servers, there you can specify imap or pop, but don't know what's the address for hotmail imap

Regards
Old 10-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
you cant manually specify anything with a hotmail account. check the bis site and the device and make sure you have checked to synchronize deleted items etc. between handheld and mailbox
Yup, this is my current setup --

On my BB
Messages Options -> Email Reconciliation
Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
Wireless Reconcile: On
On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins

On my BIS site (I assume you mean my account on my service provider's site; in this case it's TMobile)
Set up BlackBerry Internet Email -> [email address] "Edit"
Note: Strangely enough only my Gmail account (which I don't care about because I hardly use it) has this checkbox -- "Deleted items: Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device" My Hotmail account setup doesn't.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I mean the way the BB pulls the e-mails from your hotmail account. when you setup the account on BIS if you don't type the password and click next, it will ask you for the incoming and outgoing e-mail servers, there you can specify imap or pop, but don't know what's the address for hotmail imap

Regards

I never got that prompt when re-adding my Hotmail to my BB. Are you saying I should re-add it again without typing in my password?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
jjmach

it might be worth the try.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
it might be worth the try.
I tried re-adding my account via both my BB and TMobile's site, and in both cases it would not let me proceed further if I left my password blank.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
shupp872

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Similar Issue???

I have been struggling for the past week trying to even get consistent emails from Hotmail to show up on my Blackberry. I have only had the 8830 for 2 weeks. When I got it, i set up my hotmail access from my phone, and it worked great. Then, last sunday, I upgraded the device to 4.5. Since then I rarely get my hotmail messages on my phone. It is completely unreliable. I have removed and added the account numerous times, as well as trying changing my password, and resending service books. As an example, I registered for this forum account with my hotmail address. I immediately got the activation email on my blackberry. I came to the computer and clicked the link, finished activating my account. However, I never received the confirmation email on my Blackberry, even though it was received in my hotmail account on the computer.

I don't know what else to try. Right now, I have to resort to forwarding all the hotmail to my gmail account, as gmail is much more reliable.

Is this is a similar situation to the OP, or is it completely different? I am not trying to hijack the thread.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shupp872 View Post
I have been struggling for the past week trying to even get consistent emails from Hotmail to show up on my Blackberry. I have only had the 8830 for 2 weeks. When I got it, i set up my hotmail access from my phone, and it worked great. Then, last sunday, I upgraded the device to 4.5. Since then I rarely get my hotmail messages on my phone. It is completely unreliable. I have removed and added the account numerous times, as well as trying changing my password, and resending service books. As an example, I registered for this forum account with my hotmail address. I immediately got the activation email on my blackberry. I came to the computer and clicked the link, finished activating my account. However, I never received the confirmation email on my Blackberry, even though it was received in my hotmail account on the computer.

I don't know what else to try. Right now, I have to resort to forwarding all the hotmail to my gmail account, as gmail is much more reliable.

Is this is a similar situation to the OP, or is it completely different? I am not trying to hijack the thread.

Thanks

I guess the difference is I get my Hotmails just fine on my BB -- I just have difficulty getting my BB Hotmail to synch with my regular Hotmail.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

I guess no one has an answer for this one? Last check before I give up completely.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
ch_allan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: 302E7ED1
Carrier: Telus

I haven't had any problems with my hotmail syncing so far (knock on wood)
but i set mine up using the setup wizard. would that make a difference?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #15
GrandMstrBud

Model: 9780
PIN: 2075BBB4
Carrier: Carrier

My hotmail does not do the 2 way sync either and never has.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #16
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_allan View Post
I haven't had any problems with my hotmail syncing so far (knock on wood)
but i set mine up using the setup wizard. would that make a difference?
I just tried that but it seems that the Setup Wizard just links you to the "Setup Internet Email" facility/tool when you say you want to add an email address. Thanks, though.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
dandelos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
My hotmail does not do the 2 way sync either and never has.
Yeah I've read some posts saying it works for BES but not BIS, but the fact is, it worked for me on BIS without a single hitch for almost 2 years, until I *temporarily* switched to BES, and then back to BIS.

Not knowing precisely what the problem is, is just killing me.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #18
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Wirelessly posted (8300)

Hotmail is suppose to use synching soon. Partnership stuffs came out during wes 2008 or some conference in august 08. Currently it does not. And the synch is horrid. I've had the account set up(bis) since the curve was released. It does not do 2 way synch or "reading". Maybe if you pay for hotmail "plus" version like $50 a year that gives you a nonvague pop/imap address to set it will. And yeah the push use to be about ~15 but its gotten really bad the last 2-3 weeks. Grrr. I hate yahoo but I use it way more often as it is instant push and two way synch. Let me know if you get it fixed. I would love to do 2 way but I've tried and tried to no avail.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #19
mestes1999
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

I'm having a similar problem. I had a Curve, but it died. When I got my new one, from the hours between 8am and 5pm, it takes about two hours to get a new hotmail message. But after that, or on weekends, they're almost instantly received. Two way sync also used to work, but doesn't now. I asked AT&T about this, they said nothing has changed on their BIS that would do this...

I've resent service books, etc etc.

I then switched to a new Bold, same issue. Any ideas?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I have read that Hotmail has been changing things recently. Mostly formatting of the web site, but also some sneaky behind-the-scenes stuff. They've been trying to weed out the free accounts that have POP access and are working to make this a premium account feature. Tons of folks have reported that once they deleted their account, either accidentally or on purpose, and tried to re-add it again, it didn't work.

There's lots of speculation/guesswork/misinformation going around about Hotmail access. What has remained consistent with all the stories I've heard is that making changes to a working account tends to break it.
Closed Thread