Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Gmail Apps. problem, help?

Please Login to Remove!

Hoping someone can help me. I installed the G-Mail App. for those with a Google Hosted E-mail account (Blue icon, NOT the red one). I try logging in using:

[email address]
password

However, I get the following error: "Network Error: Your phone doesn't support end-to-end secure connections (reason: ). In order to protect your data, Mail by Google cannot be used at this time."

Can anyone shed some light on this? I tried setting up my TCP settings for my service provider (Tmo) where I entered "wap.voicestream.com" and then my login information for the regular Tmo website. Still same error.

I even tried restoring all of the software on my blackberry. Is there something I am doing wrong? Please someone help
Old 10-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well boo, no one seems to know this.

I did find out some more information last night. I can log in if I use a regular G-Mail account, even though I am using the "Blue icon" version of the GMail client. However, when I try to login in using a GMail Hosted account (one with my own domain) I get the no end-to-end security error.

Seems like a Google issue, but not sure...
Old 10-16-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
churchill
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2423A5E5
Carrier: tmobile

Im having the same problem, and since you cant get the blue icon anymore I suspect for reasons I am not aware of that they've discontinued it. Anyone else got a better answer?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Can't get it anymore? Really? I went to m.google.com/a on my Blackberry like a day ago and got it. Very odd...
Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
PhanMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Working fine for me. Just logging in fine.

The only annoyance I have with this app is that it tries to access the phone application for some reason. If you deny it you get some funky error java error I believe.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
XBGM3R
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900c
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Ahh, Mine is working fine . Without problem, I just logging in. If you need Gmail so badly. So I suggest you go to set email address (POP3) up to add on your curve for gmail.

Good Luck..
Old 10-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #7
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Try this: Options -> Security -> TLS Default: Handheld. The default is Proxy which caused something not to work for me many moons ago; TLS is related to your problem and worth a shot changing to see what happens.

(TLS = transport layer security)

Oooh hey instead of me explaining it, Wikipedia has a great article (what don't they have these days):

Transport Layer Security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-17-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
deathraceking
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post
Hoping someone can help me. I installed the G-Mail App. for those with a Google Hosted E-mail account (Blue icon, NOT the red one).
What is the difference between the red and blue mail icon? I installed the app that has the red icon. Does the blue icon allow you to get a notification when new mail arrives? *fingers crossed*
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathraceking View Post
What is the difference between the red and blue mail icon? I installed the app that has the red icon. Does the blue icon allow you to get a notification when new mail arrives? *fingers crossed*
Blue - Google for Domains (i.e. yourdomain.com hosted at GMail)
Red - regular @gmail.com email

You know already if you need the Blue one as it's part of the splash page when you log into your domain email account.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Try this: Options -> Security -> TLS Default: Handheld. The default is Proxy which caused something not to work for me many moons ago; TLS is related to your problem and worth a shot changing to see what happens.

(TLS = transport layer security)

Oooh hey instead of me explaining it, Wikipedia has a great article (what don't they have these days):

Transport Layer Security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hmm, tried that and quite a few related settings, nothing worked; same error message.

I am getting pretty fed up with this phone...signal on T-Mobile sucks (my Nokia had no issues). I just got it replaced, so hopefully my resetting problem when in a call goes away.

Seems silly that a simple GMail application won't work.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
rivviepop

I agree - nobody else seems to be having these issues (or at least are not saying anything about it), and mine & others GMail/MailbyGoogle "just work" without any real problems.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Update...

I kind of got logged in, but now it just says "Loading..." and then I get this message:

"Network Unavailable: This program requires a data connection, and some Blackberry devices require reconfiguration to work properly. Please visit the Mail by Google FAQ on your computer for more info."

Then I exitted the application and I saw this message:

"Uncaught exception: onDisplay of an obscured screen"

At least I am making some progress...maybe the Blackberry just needs a bath and then it will work perfectly...
Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post
Update...

I kind of got logged in, but now it just says "Loading..." and then I get this message:

"Network Unavailable: This program requires a data connection, and some Blackberry devices require reconfiguration to work properly. Please visit the Mail by Google FAQ on your computer for more info."

Then I exitted the application and I saw this message:

"Uncaught exception: onDisplay of an obscured screen"

At least I am making some progress...maybe the Blackberry just needs a bath and then it will work perfectly...
I had the "Network Unavailable" problem with the Gmail apps when I had an html message reader installed. I tried 2 different ones and both caused problems with Google Maps. Gmail had a slightly different error where it couldn't connect and then seemed to have some Java error afterwards. The News and Search apps were fine. I couldn't get it to fix no matter what I tried so removed the html readers.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

AHA, GOT IT! (with some help from T-Mobile).

So here is what happened, somewhat in the order things occurred:

- I called up Tmo and got their Blackberry support, explained the issue.

- He was a little hesitant because it is a third-party app. but I gave him so BS about it being a RIM approved application and that seemed to work.

- I explained to him about the "end-to-end secure connection" error, and then said if I tried to log in three times in a row quickly, I seemed to get in (with "Loading..." on the top of the screen) but then it timed out and said something about "Network not available"

- He was about to pass me on to RIM and then found something...he said my account was not correctly provisioned for BIS service in the Blackberry servers.

- He made the change to provision my service correctly for BIS and Internet and had me reboot the phone by removing the battery.

- When it came back up, he had me try the browser, which seemed to time out accessing sites like ESPN.com.

- He had me go to Options->Advanced Options->Browser and suddenly I noticed I had a bunch more options for browsers! Before, I only had tzones and Wifi; now I had "Internet Browser" as well. We changed the first two ones (Default and MDS and I think) to "Internet Browser."

- Now we tried accessing the browser, which came up with the Internet browser instead of tzones (I had a list of bookmarks, and not the tzones website). Espn.com worked fine.

- Now we tried the GMail application (blue icon version) : worked like a champ, no issues!

Another interesting thing that came out of it: RIM told him that GMail Hosted should support two-way sync., including read/unread status reconciliation (this was the reason I wanted the GMail app. in the first place). So he said give it 24 hours to see if the read status updates on my GMail Hosted account (I read it on my Blackberry, but not on my GMail Hosted account online...) and if it still doesn't work I should call in and they will place a ticket with RIM.

So I might end up keeping this phone after all, despite the crappy signal from T-Mobile...guess I could always unlock and switch to ATT if I had to, but the UMA usage for when I go to Mexico on business is very convenient.
Closed Thread