Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 07:56 AM   #1
gjp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon
Default 7130e new info re: Data Connection Refused

Please Login to Remove!

Just some information I found out this morning re: The Date Refused Connection message that seems to be so popular. It had happened to me the 2nd day with the BB and after 2.5hrs on the phone with out success I decided to swap it out. I had the new unit for a day and then the same message. I just got off the phone with tech support and the guy did say this has been happening to a group of users since launch of the device.

It seems that my Data Refused Connection message started shortly after tethering but I didn't put the 2 together. The support guy had asked me if that was the case. Once I said yes he knew how to fix it. First I had to tether the BB to my laptop open VZ Access Manager then hit control T. A box opened up (I am not technical but almost like DOS prompts). I typed in a code got a message and based on the message he had me type in another code. Do 1 cycle on and off and bingo it worked. He then confirmed there is some sort of software issue going on and if I try to tether again I could end up with the same problem. He suggested I call back in a few days to see if they have done a software upgrade to correct this issue. So now I will be calling customer service to have take that feature taken off and credit me back the 4 days since it is not useful.

Hope this helps some others with the same problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Good info but I don't use tethering and I intermittently get the Data Connection Refused and then it pops back into 1XEV.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
gjp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

When I got the DCR it never went back to 1X or 1XEV, only the phone portion worked. I took the battery out a bunch of times and kept it out from 1 min to 10 min and did the *22899 a bunch of times with no success. Until I tethered I didn't have any problems what so ever. We might have different issues but hopefully my findings help out some people.

Sorry it wont be able to help you out
Old 12-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
dbregman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Default Connection refused

I has this problem when I first got the device and had not even provisioned the BES. I call support and was told this is a known issue having to do with being in a fringe coverage area. The tech tole me to shut wireless off and then turn it back on. That fixed it. I have had it a few times since and the wireless off and on works.

I think there will be a firmware upgrade to address this.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

I get it constantly on my 7100t on Tmo, both before having data service (phone only) and after. Would seem to be a bb issue since it happens to different models on different services.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
kimojoe

Model: 7130e

This happens to me all the time. It occured when I had a VZW7250 and it occurs now with my 7130e. If I am in my office (basement) I get DCR and the phone still works. If I am upstairs I get EVDO most of the time and other times I get 1X and sometimes 1x. I read somewhere this all occurs by being in a fringe coverage area AND VZW HAS NO DATA ROAMING agreement with competitors. Just voice roaming. Not sure if this is the case with other carriers, but VZW has seen fit to cripple their customers. Thanks again VZW
Old 01-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
jkukis

I saw this on another faq regarding setting up evdo on a 7250 and at the bottom it said if you were getting connection refused to do this:
Quote:
Possible Problem: If BlackBerry Randomly Switches Between 1x, 1X, 1XEV or "Connection Refused"
Go to phone, enter ##000000 and hit dial. That is two pound marks followed by six zeros. You will see a screen. Scroll to where it says SIP Password, then type vzw in the password field. Also verify that all three usernames are <phone number>@vzw3g.com on this screen. Then select Save, and Restart.
Do you think that would fix the problem on the 7130? I also have data connection refused on my 7130 so I was just wondering.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkukis
I saw this on another faq regarding setting up evdo on a 7250 and at the bottom it said if you were getting connection refused to do this:

Do you think that would fix the problem on the 7130? I also have data connection refused on my 7130 so I was just wondering.
I see the issue infrequently, but it occurs. I tried the above. I only saw 2 places to enter (verify) the id as phone#@vzw3g.com. I did enter in vzw as the password though (it was blank) and saved and the device reset.

The good news is, after the reset, it doesn't appear anything broke! I'll see if it has any positive effect.

Edit: Went back into the ##000000 screen and there's no password showing so my guess is that it takes it and wipes it so it might have always been properly set to begin with.

Last edited by GeekNJ; 01-09-2006 at 12:35 PM..
Old 01-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
kimojoe

jkukis, Thanks for the ##000000 info, I tried it and nothing bad happened. Still have DCR in my basement and 1X or EVDO upstairs. Still getting phone calls in the basement.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Didn't seem to resolve anything for me. On the train ride home I went from 1XEV to 1x in an area I'm sure is fine. I did a quick off/on of the antenna and when it came back on it was 1XEV within 10 seconds.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
KrisK

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

The DCR message is a known issue and the fix is scheduled to be released in February in the form of a software release.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisK
The DCR message is a known issue and the fix is scheduled to be released in February in the form of a software release.
Based on what I've seen and what others have reported, my guess would have been this is what was needed.

Can you let us know how you know this? A friend of a friend? A cust service rep? You are writing the fix yourself?
Old 01-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #13
KrisK

Model: 9000

RIM is working on the fix and Verizon will be testing it prior to release. I evaluated the 7130e and experienced numerous DCR's both tethered and mobile where it drops from 1XEV to 1X. I tested the 7250 with v4.0.2 and experienced the same thing. Both fixes are due first week in February. I must say as a tethered device this solution is fantastic. On 1XEV I was hitting download speed up to 800Kbps. This is a great solution for BB/Laptop users. I expect the 7130e to be very popular due to the versatility and form factor.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #14
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel

Well, I'm sorry to say that I am now having the DCR 1x-1X-1XEV switching problem.

I purchased my 7130 on 12/1/2005 and in my Condo, I had always had 5 bars of 1XEV service all the time. It is an old brick mill building and I could even carry on a conversation in the elevator in the middle of the building. It was great. I never had a problem with the switching, and I only saw 1 DCR and that was after driving through an area with no service. Battery would last a solid 2 days with moderate use of phone and data.

All of a sudden, about a week and a half ago, I started dropping calls. I noticed that the signal wasn't 5 bars anymore. I had to stand in the window to even make a call. The phone rarely had the 1XEV displayed, and often it was 1x but it would switch constantly. DCR happened several times a day and the phone started resetting itself out of nowhere for no reason. Finally, I couldn't even go a whole day without recharging. By 7 at night, the radio would be turning off because of the low battery. The resets were not linked to Bluetooth because I don't use it, and the DCR was not linked to tethering.

So I called Verizon and we went through the standard things. We tried the ##000000 to make sure all the settings were correct. Put in vzw for the password. No help. Tried to wipe the handheld, reload the software. No help.

Then my cousin came to visit and she has a 7250 w/o EVDO. I noticed her signal was very low also. I started speaking to other people in the building who I saw were carrying Verizon phones. They had also noticed that the signal strength had dropped off markedly in the past couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, in my office, the phone has 5 bars of 1XEV coverage and I have no swtiching, no DCR, and no resets and I can be in my office from 8 to 8 and the battery maybe drops from 5 bars to 4.

I was just on the phone again with Verizon for about an hour. Come to find out, they have about 4 trouble tickets open in my immediate area for signal strength. They suspect an issue with the local cell site and are going to be working on it.

So why am I talking about it? Well, I guess this is probably common sense to most people, but obviously the DCR and switching issue is linked to signal strength. We all know that if it starts switching, that saps the battery. But why does it start switiching all of a sudden? I would assume that EVDO probably works like a PRL. I would assume that the 7130 WANTS to work on EVDO (provideing high speed data, better battery, etc) So it would seem that the phone tries to grab an EVDO cell with priority and bypasses a cell that may not have EVDO, even if the non-EVDO cell has a better 1X signal. The result is the switching back and forth between 1XEV 1X and 1x and the occasional DCR. So, as was brought up in another thread, there should be a way to stop the phone from looking for an EVDO cell. That would maybe stop the switching and the DCR and let the phone stay locked on 1X like a 7250 with no EVDO. Battery life would probably be less, but it might be worth the sacrifice to have consistent data. Or would that really be the case with the battery? Are we sure that 1X uses more battery than 1XEV or is it just that if you are in a 1X area, the phone searches for EVDO and therfore uses more battery power? Maybe if the phone stopped searching for EVDO, a straight 1X connection would last as long as a 1XEV connection. What is battery life for people who are in an area with no EVDO at all? Like I say, I'm sure this is obvious to most people and I am just rambling, but it brings up a question of whether there really was a group of 7130s that did have a "bug" or if it just happened to be that group of users was in a low EVDO signal area and these are the problems the phone presents in a low EVDO service area. As far as a fix from RIM, I wonder what it will fix. Will it do something to the phone, or will it affect the priority of the EVDO signal? For example, if the EVDO signal is below a certain dBm level, maybe it will force it to 1X so that the phone is not constantly polling for EVDO and switching and killing battery life. Maybe it will poll less frequently for an EVDO signal.

In any case, those are my thoughts. My phone works exactly like it is supposed to, without a problem at my office with 5 bars of 1XEV but when I get home, where they are having problems with my closest cell tower, the phone tries to grab a further tower and is acting up with all of the problems that everyone else is having. This seems to indicate that the problem isn't with the units themselves, but rather the signal strength, or the provisioning of the phone in how to handle the different signal strengths. Just thought I would throw this all out there in case it helps anyone.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Jeff d
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour

Well mine has improved since upgrading to the 4.1.0.207 from .117

Before my signal strength was all over the board even when sitting on my counter. Now it's much more stable and therefore less EV<-->1X<-->1x switching. My battery life has improved also.

I initially thought that drops in signal strength were what was causing the loss of EV service. That may be part of it but I've seen switching with signal as good as -80 dBm and no significant variations in signal strength. I'm starting to wonder if there are some towers near my house that are setup for EVDO and some that aren't and my phone is switching between those towers and hence the switching.

Is there any way to find out which tower you're associated with in real time? If so I could start logging what service I have with what tower and see if there's a pattern. If that's the deal then maybe Verizon needs to get on the ball and upgrade their towers.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #16
jetster

Model: 7250

What to tell Customer Support if upgrading from 7250 to 7130e on VERIZON

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am hoping this post will help others so they don't have to sit on the phone for almost 2 hours with VERIZON if they upgrade from a 7250 to a 7130e. If you previously had a 7250 with verizon without EVDO support and you switch to the 7130e with EVDO support and your phone shows you a message: "Data Connection Refused" right under the date and time then this is what you need to tell the customer support rep because they probably won't be able to figure it out on thier own.

Tell them to look at the "switch" and check if your configuration is set for "Dynamic MIP" (Dynamic Mobile IP address). If so they need to change the setting to "Dynamic EVIP" (Dynamic EVDO IP address). That will solve your problem.

It took 3 wireless reps almost 2 hours to figure it out. Hopefully this save yout the headache I suffered.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #17
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

There's a software update for the 7130e (on Verizon)?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #18
Jeff d
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman
There's a software update for the 7130e (on Verizon)?
It's under Bell Mobility on RIM's site but it works fine for Verizon
Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #19
Jimmyk001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I'm confused - I have 4.1.0.117 on my device. Is this the most current? How do I find out - VZW refers to the download only as Version 4.1
Old 01-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #20
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyk001
I'm confused - I have 4.1.0.117 on my device. Is this the most current? How do I find out - VZW refers to the download only as Version 4.1
The 4.1.0.117 is still the lastest for the 7130 from Verizon. I checked just this morning.
Closed Thread