Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
cardinalcar

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Default I've just got my Pearl and its been nothing but trouble :(

Please Login to Remove!

So I decided to get a Blackberry Pearl after much consideration and so far I've just had trouble.

First things first, I made my intentions clear, I want a phone that can play music - Blackberry Pearl - check!
the saleslady didn't mention that I would need to perchase a media card...shoot. So I can't upload pics from the phone and I can't download music onto it.. or video.
Secondly, she told me that I would be able to call from it as soon as I got it. She even did a test call and said it worked.

So I get back to work from my break and I add all my contacts to the phonebook and go to give my roommate a call so they can have my new number and its telling me I have to call a system administrator or something.
So I don't have a number for a system administrator or anything, plus I'm pretty sure I downloaded the software that came with it wrong....

Help?

Am I a lost cause?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
bn199

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular

i think you have to activate your sim, just call your carrier

also, the microsd is a no brainer and you can put pics and music in its just that music cant go over 2.83 mb per file and pics i dont know

the onbard memory is 64mb i think? some of it is used by the applications
Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Just get a media card....they are not that expensive and will prevent many other related headaches.

As for the calls, I've not heard of that problem. Just call your carrier and I'm sure they can solve that problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
machado
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

Almost any phone other than the iPhone is going to require a card to be able to store any reasonable amount of music. Using a card is actually a better option. I am a major Apple devotee, but stayed away from the iPhone because of the "sealed" nature of the phone. Buy an 8GB iPhone and that's what you have, buy a 8 GB card and you can always buy a larger one later when it fills up.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
i robot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by machado View Post
Almost any phone other than the iPhone is going to require a card to be able to store any reasonable amount of music. Using a card is actually a better option. I am a major Apple devotee, but stayed away from the iPhone because of the "sealed" nature of the phone. Buy an 8GB iPhone and that's what you have, buy a 8 GB card and you can always buy a larger one later when it fills up.
That depends on the capacity of card the phone can take (firmware dependant i think). For the pearl at the moment i have been told thats 8gbs. You could always have multiple cards though but theyre easy to loose those little mites
Old 06-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

With OS 4.5 bigger cards will be supported.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by machado View Post
Buy an 8GB iPhone and that's what you have, buy a 8 GB card and you can always buy a larger one later when it fills up.
Agreed! The media card might seem like another expense, but it'll more than pay for itself over time. Several media cards are on sale at Amazon.com right now for good prices.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

micro sd cards are cheap there are lots of places out there to buy one, my rule of thumb is no to pay more than 10 times the size of the card. You can find 4GB cards for ~$30...