Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW
Default IT Policy

Please Login to Remove!

Well my BES admins in my corp office have finally rolled out there IT Policy.
I now can't OTA anything
All non approved 3ed party apps have been killed (ie: gmail app & google maps)

Last edited by Raven; 08-05-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Old 08-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

bummer....
Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

I guess i could try to load things via cod files at home
Old 08-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I guess i could try to load things via cod files at home
Yeah... you can try...

Old 08-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Well my BES admins in my corp office have finally rolled out there IT Policy.
I now can't OTA anything
All non approved 3ed party apps have been killed (ie: gmail app & google maps)

Yes, the computer secret police do sometimes mess up a good thing. All in the name of network security, or is it just a power thing.
Just get yourself a personal, stay-at-home, BB and load and use whatever you like.
Good luck
J
Old 08-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Too bad, I know the feeling. My company is also on the IT policy. Luckily I know one of the BES admins and he granted me full rights. Thanks God!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
hondaguy900
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint (really miss Verizon)

Luckily I am our BES admin. Although we don't have any restrictions regarding installing third-party apps.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

It's going to be harder to upgrade my os since i have to do a activation p/w now and can't use desktop manger to start the enterprise activation...
My BES admin are in Canada and can't even tell me what is white-listed for apps....
I wish i had access to the BES....
Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny909 View Post
All in the name of network security, or is it just a power thing.Just get yourself a personal, stay-at-home, BB and load and use whatever you like.
Good luck
J
While some BES Admins may enforce IT Policy limitations as a 'power thing', it's more likely, IMO, a matter of what they want or don't want to support.

Most company users don't realize what a PITA it is to get a call from an end user who has downloaded God-only-knows-what on their company device and now something doesn't work....but the BES Admin/BB Support person is expected to fix it.

Having a policy that blocks downloading stuff to limit support calls (which does affect the bottom $$ line), makes sense to some companies.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I understand the need to lock down just any old 3rd party app. (My company does this as well). What I'm not clear on , and hopefully someone can help educate me, is why I can't get shortcut icons to established websites (BB Forums, ESPN.com, The Weather Channel). These are all already bookmarked in my BB Browser (in fact ESPN.com and The Weather Channel are bookmarked out-of-the-box).

These would seem to be pretty harmless, low maintenence adds, yet e-mails requesting the OK to download them go ignored by my BES Admin. Any thoughts? Is there soemthing I'm overlooking?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
O'dell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
While some BES Admins may enforce IT Policy limitations as a 'power thing', it's more likely, IMO, a matter of what they want or don't want to support.

Most company users don't realize what a PITA it is to get a call from an end user who has downloaded God-only-knows-what on their company device and now something doesn't work....but the BES Admin/BB Support person is expected to fix it.

Having a policy that blocks downloading stuff to limit support calls (which does affect the bottom $$ line), makes sense to some companies.
This is really the only reason we enforce an IT policy on our end users. I got tired of getting calls like that, or other calls complaining about their call logs and messages disappearing after they installed some games, etc.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

A cliche comes to mind....

"Throwing the baby out with the bath water."
Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
I understand the need to lock down just any old 3rd party app. (My company does this as well). What I'm not clear on , and hopefully someone can help educate me, is why I can't get shortcut icons to established websites (BB Forums, ESPN.com, The Weather Channel). These are all already bookmarked in my BB Browser (in fact ESPN.com and The Weather Channel are bookmarked out-of-the-box).

These would seem to be pretty harmless, low maintenence adds, yet e-mails requesting the OK to download them go ignored by my BES Admin. Any thoughts? Is there soemthing I'm overlooking?
Yes, you're overlooking the issues of support. Knowing what's on the desktop. I also lock down the PCs in my organization. That way I know what is or in the case of a BB, should be on the desktop.

I also have to enforce corporate rules of privacy and security. While some of the locking down policies are done for ease of support, the vast majority of them are to comply with corporate directives.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
Yes, you're overlooking the issues of support. Knowing what's on the desktop. I also lock down the PCs in my organization. That way I know what is or in the case of a BB, should be on the desktop.

I also have to enforce corporate rules of privacy and security. While some of the locking down policies are done for ease of support, the vast majority of them are to comply with corporate directives.
I don't have a problem with the new policy since i'm IT also, but the whole thing has been deployed by corporate IT with out telling local IT support on what is now blocked or not. They also broke tethering and we spent 3 weeks playing middle man with vzw support and the our bes admin team to fix a local VP's blackberry.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
nvstrguy

Model: 8800
Angry Can't handle the password......

They recently upgrade to new IT policy at work. Now my personal BB that I paid for and pay the monthly bill on is becoming closer and closer to useless. PIN is disabled, and device now password protected, by min 5-digit password. Device locks every time it goes into the holster or after 10 minutes of inactivity. Murphy's law says you get an email, pull it out of the holster go through the hassle of entering password just to see it is spam, replace back in holster, only to have it vibrate 2 seconds later and have to go through exercise again. The BB has almost taken many of flight out the window or into the wall.

You can make phone calls in locked mode, however voice-dial is disabled and no access to dialing from address book. This means trying to make a call while driving can be rather treacherous exercise.

If any of you out there know how I may alter the state of my personal device to make it a little more user friendly (read crack this stupid code so I can use it again)???? Please
Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

You can't. If you remove it, it will just come back when you reconnect to the BES. There is no getting around the policy they put in place. Even if you could, you run the risk of losing your job. Not the best thing in this sour economy.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #17
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Bottom line is if the company is supplying and paying for your BlackBerry they can do what they want and there is very little you can say about it.

My BlackBerry 8830 is my personnal phone and my company pays me a monthly stipend plus any extra monthly costs to my bill to have it so they can contact me. Therefore I am BIS and not BES and no IT policy.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #18
nvstrguy

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Bottom line is if the company is supplying and paying for your BlackBerry they can do what they want and there is very little you can say about it.

My BlackBerry 8830 is my personnal phone and my company pays me a monthly stipend plus any extra monthly costs to my bill to have it so they can contact me. Therefore I am BIS and not BES and no IT policy.
I agree with you 100%. However my BB is also my personal phone, that I bought and paid for, pay monthly bills on and the company charges me $15/mnth for the "privilege" of using the BES. What is BIS? I would love to get off BES, but need it for time sensitive emails and scheduling. Company security will not allow forwarding of emails to outside address.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #19
kbright1892
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: NNLNNLLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvstrguy View Post
I agree with you 100%. However my BB is also my personal phone, that I bought and paid for, pay monthly bills on and the company charges me $15/mnth for the "privilege" of using the BES. What is BIS? I would love to get off BES, but need it for time sensitive emails and scheduling. Company security will not allow forwarding of emails to outside address.
Sounds like:
Rock You HardPlace

I can understand both sides of it. It's yours and you pay for it, but you want the benefits of BES. They want to protect their network, time, security, etc. It definitely sucks, but not much you can do.

My eBay Feedback
Feel free to message me there to verify it's me.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #20
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvstrguy View Post
This is exactly why you should not be putting your personal device on their server. You have zero ground to gripe here.

If you can access your corporate mail through POP or OWA, then you can get off the BES, but you will lose some sync functionality that way too.

Edit: They're charging YOU $15 to be on their BES??? They should be paying you for the increased reachability!

Last edited by CO_BBTechie; 12-04-2008 at 05:49 PM..
Closed Thread