Old 12-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
masonfoley
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Review: ThinkPost OTA

Please Login to Remove!

Initial thoughts...

Install for both desktop and device was a breeze. Straightforward, easy to configure.

Have to say though, several problems/anomalies cropped up.

Performed full sync from Desktop and confirmed items stored online via the web interface. Configured the device app and performed a synchronization. Created a task on the device and then manually invoked sync from the device. Here's my first problem with it, the sync status/summary on the device doesn't indicate if there were any changes. A summary of items changed would be nice. At least a count next to each PIM type. For example:

Contacts - Complete - 2 update(s), 1 new, 1 deleted
Calendar - Complate - 1 update(s)
Tasks - Complete - 3 new
Notes - Complete - No changes

However, I understand this is an app, that for the most part, runs in the background and thus an interface is not entirely the point. However, there may be times this information would be appropriate.

I then continued the sync by invoking the sync from my desktop to capture the new task I had created. By all appearances, it performed a full sync. What I mean by that is, it downloaded all of the PIM data. The Full sync process at this point took ~2 minutes. My intuition tells me that it should only look for deltas and transmit those deltas, not the entire database. So that's problem #2. Problem #3 is I got an error message towards the end of the sync. See screenshot: 2008-12-05_1221 I'll need to dig into the logs to see where it tripped up.

EDIT: It appears the sync process has several modes. I see in the logs it has "slow-sync" and "two-way". Perhaps, initially, "slow-sync" is required to initialize the data. Syncs after the first two syncs, appear to be "differencing" and it is relatively quick. (10-20 seconds).

In any event, the task in question synced, but not all of it so it appears with Thinkpost, I'm striking out again with regards to fully syncing these tasks. The following properties of the task are not synced:

Category
Reminder (date and time)
Priority
Status

Actually BBerrySync did a better job here. It just didn't set the Reminder (which is hugely important to me. So, that's a Task.

Let's see how a Calendar entry fares...

Calendar entries are excellent. All properties for the calendar event that I set on the device, transferred:

Subject
End Time
Notes
Reminder

Let's try a Contact:

Contacts appear to be flawless as well. All fields that I set on the device, synced with my desktop. These included:
Title
First Name
Last Name
Job Title
Email
Work #
Home #
Mobile #
Home address
Work address
Notes

Other operations I performed were delete from device, verify delete on desktop and this performed as expected. Deleting on the desktop and syncing that delete to the device worked as well.

Another problem I have is the fact that it doesn't sync your inbox, sent items and drafts...basically, your email. But I knew this going in. BBerrySync did this and did it well...even having the ability to choose which mail account you wanted to sync. I have several email accounts (one that I route my faxes to, my main account and another I use for junk). Taking into account that ThinkPost is primarily an email hosting provider, I still find it perplexing that this is not implemented in the feature set. Having a record of all emails, I imagine, is important, especially for business types on the go. That email you started writing while getting ready for your business trip? It's not on your BBerry? Guess you'll have to start over. That email you sent from your BBerry to a client and you wanted to verify the quote you gave him/her? Looks like you'll have to head downstairs, find your BBerry and forward it to yourself so you can have a copy of it on your desktop. You may want to print it or file it away somewhere else. These use cases aren't adequately handled by ThinkPost unfortunately. At the risk of sounding a little melodramatic, this is a gaping hole in the functionality.

And you can't access Notes in the web interface apparently. This isn't a huge deal, as long as it syncs notes which unfortunately, it duplicated all of mine on the initial sync. It appears to be confusing the first line of the memo and the title. I haven't figured it out yet completely but will update this review. What I've seen is, if the Note on your device has the title "Dad" in then some text after it, ThinkPost will sync the note without the title from the BBerry to the desktop. Thus when it ends up on your desktop, there is no title. And when you sync again to the device, the entire note becomes the title. Again, these are rough observations but there is something seriously amiss there.

Actually, I think figured out what it was, creating the note on the device, it doesn't set the title properly, in fact, it misses it entirely. For example, if you create a note on the device like so:

Title: Device test title
Note: Device test note

And then you sync your device to the service and then sync from the desktop to pull this down, it ends up on your desktop as

Title: Device test note
Note: Device test note

Creating a note on the desktop and then syncing up to the service and then over to the device, works as expected...preserving the title and the note in their appropriate slots. Definitely a bug. Kind of a big one actually in the event you use notes and have a lot of them (me personally, I'll start poems or song ideas in my notes section but those are actually archived off to another location within Outlook so Thinkpost didn't have access to them. I can't imagine what would have been the jumbled up messed caused by Thinkpost with well over 100 notes.

These are some miscellaneous items I would wish Thinkpost considered for implementation:

Minimize to tray. I concede that this is a background process and the interface isn't terribly important except for exceptional circumstances. So why have a window on my desktop? There should be an option to minimize to the systray. The Thinkpost window also goes into a notification state which is unnecessary. I don't need to know every time it syncs, unless there is an error, which, as noted before, it pops up a modal message dialog.

Outlook: I'd rather not have to have Outlook open in order for this app to do its business. Run as a service and connect to the PST file, all in the background. If I want to have Outlook open, I'll open it but I'd rather not have it cluttering my desktop (even if Outlook.exe process has to be loaded) if I don't have to. As it stands now, I have to have two windows on my desktop in order for the program to function properly. These aren't big gripes and when I'm not at my desk, it doesn't annoy me...but when I am at my desk...

Task Reminders and Categories: These are huge for me and seeing as how two vendors haven't implemented reminders as I would expect they should be, it makes me speculate that incorporating reminder data into the sync process may be more difficult than one would think. However, BES does this and it was functionality I enjoyed back in the day when I was on a BES. BBerries are personal productivity tools as well as a business productivity tools. Having to schedule a task in the Calendar is awkward, inelegant and shouldn't be necessary if I want to remind myself of something I need to do. (i.e. Call UPS to order labels, tomorrow @ 10:00 AM).

Processor intensive - the sync process on the desktop, although not very long (less than 10 seconds once both the desktop and device have been synced initially) when running, is rather processor intensive. If it's in the background, it should run like a background service with hardly any resource tax. I shouldn't notice if it is running. However I do. Having a look at CPU utilization while it is syncing will give you the whole story.

EDIT: I did notice in the logs that it sets the process to a "low priority". I'll have to keep an eye on this to see if it is an ongoing issue. More observation is required before reaching a final conclusion.

I understand that most of my review appears to be negative so let me highlight parts of the experience that were positive.

Again, the install was easy. BBerrySync, if they are still in business, should take note. They need to overhaul their entire installation and configuration process as it was maddeningly unintuitive and error-prone. Not so with Thinkpost. I had Thinkpost up in running in less than a minute...literally and in both places. BBerrySync, that's a whole 'nother story.

Configuration was easy and simple. No silly "Datamap" is required for this to work. If the argument is that the datamap (ala BBerrySync) provides more robustness, I'd like to know what that is. I hardly see any differences between Thinkpost and BBerrySync other than the price and Thinkpost wins there...oh...and they're up and functioning. That's important too.

And that leads me to my next "positive". Although I haven't had the time to experience this myself (I've only been using it for 2 hours), there are plenty of testimonies online from various users and assurances from ThinkPost themselves that they will always be available. This is important.

Logging - I love apps that log their activity and offer a variety of levels of detail when logging. This is a huge plus for me.

And last but not least, customer support. It is the best I've ever seen. Me personally, I have not experienced it yet, but there is plenty of evidence here in these forums that they are "ultra-responsive" and that is reassuring. Customer support cannot be overestimated in its value and will certainly mitigate technical / usability issues with the product. It means they aren't afraid to listen to their customers. The information obtained from customers is probably the most valuable you can acquire...many development shops are insular in that respect. I just don't get it (I've witnessed it myself over the last 10 years being a Software QA professional).

For the most part, I'm impressed with ThinkPost although not overly. As stated above, I think there are significant issues the vendor needs to look into. Perhaps there may be something I've missed in the configuration or there were some one-off data hiccups.

If I were to give it an x/10 ranking, I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. If the issues I have cited above are solved or mitigated, I'll surely have a better assessment.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus

Mason,

Thank you for the review - before I begin, I hope a mod can merge this thread with the other ThinkPost thread so that we don't have duplication going on.

Just wanted to address a few things on this rather well written review! - there clearly were a few things here that I didn't even know about (Notes problem), and I assure you we will definitely work on it.

In regards to the minimize to tray / you can completely exit out of the program, it will sync regardless of whether or not you see it.

In regards to Reminders...yes, you are most correct here! - It is quite difficult to set a reminder for tasks, albeit the Calendar one works just fine. The backend is a mess when trying to do reminders for tasks, but we are still working on it.

I am most curious as to why it's using up a high amount of processor time. In fact, it should be a very quick and simple sync. The initial sync takes the longest, and every sync after that should be only "changes", not a fresh data set. There is clearly something different going on with how it's working on your computer. Please do contact me and we can try to figure out what's going on.

In regards to email sync - the decision was made a while ago to not include this in our product offering. Our business model is quite different from others. I prefer to do things slowly, but do it well. Launching a product that can do a ton of things is bound to be less successful (in my humble opinion...). While I cannot foresee whether or not we will do that one day...I, for one, use Logicmail to access the system via IMAP. And since our servers are IDLE compliant, I leave all my emails on the BB anyways if I have to fetch an email. Logicmail is usually used to fetch emails I sent from my computers...

There is always room for improvement, and if every single review out there was gracious, we couldn't improve!

Once again, thank you for letting me know - and you can be rest assured some folks who are smarter at engineering than me will look over your review and see how we can improve it!

Sincerely,
Vincent L.

Last edited by vliou; 12-05-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Old 12-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
masonfoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliou View Post
Mason,

Thank you for the review - before I begin, I hope a mod can merge this thread with the other ThinkPost thread so that we don't have duplication going on.
I was wondering the same thing and perhaps in the end, I should have tacked on my review to the original.

Quote:
Just wanted to address a few things on this rather well written review! - there clearly were a few things here that I didn't even know about (Notes problem), and I assure you we will definitely work on it.

In regards to the minimize to tray / you can completely exit out of the program, it will sync regardless of whether or not you see it.
That's better. So as long as Outlook is open, then the sync process will continue. I can live with that. I must have mis-read a message post-install where I thought it said "This application must remain open in order to synchronize your data." or something to that effect. My memory doesn't matter. This will do.

Quote:
In regards to Reminders...yes, you are most correct here! - It is quite difficult to set a reminder for tasks, albeit the Calendar one works just fine. The backend is a mess when trying to do reminders for tasks, but we are still working on it.
Not only reminders, but Priority, Category and Status. Perhaps Tasks are a different beast altogether and perhaps it's a Funambol issue as I see when I open tasks in the web interface, it doesn't have those properties for the task. This unfortunately becomes an architectural issue. It's open-source so ultimately, I hope your crew can get that cracked.

Quote:
I am most curious as to why it's using up a high amount of processor time. In fact, it should be a very quick and simple sync. The initial sync takes the longest, and every sync after that should be only "changes", not a fresh data set. There is clearly something different going on with how it's working on your computer. Please do contact me and we can try to figure out what's going on.
Here is a screenshot of the processor in mid-sync. This is on a Core 2 Duo.
2008-12-06_1241

I want to stress that this isn't a dealbreaker for me. I was simply surprised at the CPU hit during the sync process. It's also important to note, this is with the extra UI running. That may be adding to the utilization as well. I have not had an opportunity to observe the resources while the sync process invoked from the Outlook plugin is running.

Syncs, now that everything has been initialized, take approximately 10-12 seconds.

Quote:
In regards to email sync - the decision was made a while ago to not include this in our product offering. Our business model is quite different from others. I prefer to do things slowly, but do it well. Launching a product that can do a ton of things is bound to be less successful (in my humble opinion...). While I cannot foresee whether or not we will do that one day...I, for one, use Logicmail to access the system via IMAP. And since our servers are IDLE compliant, I leave all my emails on the BB anyways if I have to fetch an email. Logicmail is usually used to fetch emails I sent from my computers...
Understood but if I'm being honest I'm going to take a wait and see attitude and if BBerrySync manages to overcome whatever it is they are faced with at the moment and they can correct the Task problems, to me, it's worth the extra $2 per month to have email sync.

Quote:
There is always room for improvement, and if every single review out there was gracious, we couldn't improve!

Once again, thank you for letting me know - and you can be rest assured some folks who are smarter at engineering than me will look over your review and see how we can improve it!

Sincerely,
Vincent L.
Your responsiveness is unparalleled so I'm definitely considering forgoing the $24 per year extra that I would pay with BBerrySync for the email functionality and the benefit I would enjoy with the same. As I said earlier, it's impossible to put a price and assign value to product support and seeing as how BBerrySync has been down for almost a week now with no explanation much less any notification, that decision is pretty much made. Thanks again for your response and I look forward to seeing your product evolve.

I also want to stress that my review mainly covers what I found NOT working as I would expect. This doesn't account for the majority of the product that IS working and for what is working, I'm highly confident it will meet my needs. I would not want readers of my review to walk away thinking that ThinkPost has too many negatives. That's not the case. As I see it now, the only negatives I see is the lack of email sync, the all-too-vanilla coverage of the Task properties and the Notes synchronization/duplication issue. I would revise my score, for what it's worth, to be 8/10.

If you would like for me to open a ticket for the Notes syncing problem, let me know and I will do so. That is, unless, you have taken my original text regarding the Notes bug and opened a ticket internally with your developers.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.

Last edited by masonfoley; 12-06-2008 at 01:27 PM..
Old 12-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Mason,

Thanks again for the reply - the detail you provide is amazing!

What really amazed me yet again was in fact your Outlook sync CPU utilization - funnily enough, my best friend is a ThinkPad with Core Duo as well, and I do see the same issue. I misunderstood your original post, I notice that the sync program uses about 10-20 % CPU for a bit, and that Outlook does in fact use quite a lot. Upon investigation with a tech, we sadly attribute it to the "bloatiness" of Outlook. As we all know well, Outlook isn't exactly the...leanest of programs. However having said that, we will see what we can to either 1) Distribute less CPU usage over a longer period of time and provide that as an option to the customer, or 2) Investigate ways to cut down the amount of data transfer.

Funnily enough last night, I just took your whole review and passed it onto the techs...the Notes issue is definitely "noted" (apologies for the pun), and the tasks issue is being worked on. Once we have a definite answer to the problems, I will definitely post back.

I had a neat call from a potential customer this morning who asked me flat out what the difference between major sync products were...and in the end, it came down to "customer service", so I am definitely glad to hear that those customers who do post are in fact happy!

Once again, thanks for the reply, and I will be sure to let you know what we have improved our Notes/Tasks offering!

Sincerely,
Vincent L
Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

Everyone knows my opinion on this product...

I have been using this since day one, and has been wonders for me! i will never use anything but thinkpost! Vincent is a great guy and has lots of knowledge! and a good friend
Old 12-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Thanks Cory...yep, almost 5000 people! Definitely amazing how far we've come in just a few months! Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Great product.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
Tiny

PIN: 2563B879
Carrier: Orange UK

Yep this is a superb product, really making my BB work well. Misses phone arrives in a few days so no doubt I will be looking at her aswell.

Only issue i have had so far is when i upgraded by Bold the next sync after the restore caused a few duplicates in calender but that could have very well been my fault, apart from that its excellent.

Kev
Old 12-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Thank you both for the kind replies as well.

To Mason: My lead tech has gotten back to me in regards to the Notes issue - and that is being fixed ASAP, I will post back when the fixes are complete. We are further investigating the other problems to improve. Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
koleary19067

How about categories? Use them all the time.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Yep, still working on that one too - but the limitations is what is setting us back...that particular issue has been one we've been working on quite some time, but sadly...wall after wall after wall.... I will keep all those I promised informed once we roll out that feature..
Old 12-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
koleary19067

Quote:
Yep, still working on that one too - but the limitations is what is setting us back...that particular issue has been one we've been working on quite some time, but sadly...wall after wall after wall.... I will keep all those I promised informed once we roll out that feature..
Thanks !!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
chrisbc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

Thanks for a very detailed review, masonfoley. I have been looking for products like that and will give ThinkPost a try myself one of these days.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #14
chrisbc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Yep, still working on that one too - but the limitations is what is setting us back...that particular issue has been one we've been working on quite some time, but sadly...wall after wall after wall....
Yeah, categories can be technically problematic. The support for them is not really good on either side.

Incidentally, when I was googling for ThinkPost i typed "think post" and automatically hit the first link. Ouch! You guys might want to do something about that...
Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Thanks for letting me know...I do know about thinkpost.com, but since they're in a completely different scope of business...can't do anything about it until we get more popular
Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Hey Folks,

I wanted to let you know that we have fixed the bugs surrounding Categories not syncing between
blackberry and outlook, and the bug that caused notes subjects to be lost when syncing between
blackberry and outlook.
The first was a server-side fix that we have yet to upload - we will do this after the holidays.
The second was a client-side fix for the outlook plugin that has no release date yet. We don't
want to release with only one tiny fix, so we will probably wait until additional bug reports come
in, or additional features are added before we release this change. If too much time passes with no
additional bugs, we will release it anyways.

Hope that helps,
Vincent L.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #17
koleary19067

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000)

Thanks Vince. The category was an issue for me, I am glad that's getting fixed. You should put this change in before the holiday. Just wishing

Last edited by koleary19067; 12-22-2008 at 02:32 PM..
Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately most of the staff have been sent home for the holidays. They work far too hard but we will definitely get things going as soon as we can. Have a great holiday!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #19
koleary19067

Hey, i tried. You have a good holiday also.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
masonfoley

I was curious if the Notes and Task Categories change has been implemented and whether or not this would require a client side update.

Thanks.