Old 04-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
hbkidf

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default UMA problem on my 8900

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I put up a post a couple of days ago which has now thankfully been resolved but now I have another issue.

My phone is connected to my wireless but is not showing the UMA icon. It's a pain in the backside because I have no mobile reception in my house otherwise, so I kind of need it.

My girlfriend's phone is connected no problem (I had a similar thing at hers earlier tonight where she was connected with the UMA logo and I was connected but not UMA).

So I went in to Wi-Fi diagnostics and under UMA, Connection has a red cross. When I choose 'View Item' it says 'Connection: Error'

These are two brand new phones we're using yet one works and mine doesn't. And just to clarify, I tried it on her network and the same thing happened. We're both on Orange UK. I'm yet to successfully obtain a UMA icon.

Any ideas?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
wawasteele
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile US

Having been plaged with wifi/UMA problems myself, I have a lot of sympathy for you. I was able to solve mine, I hope you can too. I have the following suggestions:

1. Start with this link: BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

2. Do a search on this site, you will find a lot of posts.

3. Since the phone is new, call for support and see if it's defective and needs to be returned.

Wanda
Old 04-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
morfy50
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Yup, I'd call for support right away since it's new.... don't wait.

I've never had a problem with UMA and I've used about 10 different routers with it in different locations. Every time it just connects and works. My guess is defective hardware.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
hbkidf

Thanks for the suggestions alas I am nowhere nearer a solution.

Contacted my carrier and after an hour on the phone they basically had no clue what was going on. They tried telling me that 8900's do not support UMA on Orange UK, which I know is a lie because my girlfriend is using it no problem.

They then claimed it was only supported on a business contract and not consumer - again, I know they're wrong because my girlfriend is on a consumer deal.

Furthermore, under Wi-Fi Diagnostics I have a green tick next to the "UMA Wi-Fi Available" - so the UMA capability is still there. I am definitely connected to my Wireless because I've checked the list of devices currently connected to it and both me and my girlfriend are on it as well as a laptop. It just won't switch over to UMA (especially annoying since I have zero reception in my place).

They then tried to convince me that I can still connect to the net and receive e-mails if I'm connected to the Wi-Fi and not UMA - again, this is wrong.

I ended up having to call my ISP and they just said they have no clue what I'm going on about (under Wi-Fi Diagnostics, sub-section UMA it tells me the connection error is ISP or Wireless Network error).

And now, I'm trying to e-mail RIM but they're asking for "Partner Code" and I have no idea what this means.

Can anybody help?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
erasat

Carrier: T-Mobile

Delete your actual wi-fi connection, do a Battery Pull and while doing that unplugged your router from power wait about 10 seconds plug it back and see what happens after that, then re-establish your wi-fi connection and see wha happens.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Multiple UMA Devices on UMA with 8900 Curve (Javelin)
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...e-javelin.html
Old 04-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
hbkidf

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've done a battery pull, deleted TCP/IP settings and allowed it to reboot with no luck.

I got the phone less than a week ago and it has not worked on the 4 different networks I've tried it on, whilst my girlfriend, whose phone is about 5 days older than mine, works without a hitch.

Nothing switches the phone over to UMA so I think I'll ask for a replacement handset.

It's a shame, cos everything else works, just not UMA.

The thing that annoys me is that Orange maintain the phone doesn't support UMA when I know it does.

Last edited by hbkidf; 04-26-2009 at 06:16 PM..
Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 AM   #8
slickkk6o4

Model: BOLD
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

does UMA work without a plan with service provider rogers wireless?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
wangta01

Carrier: AT&T

Damn - my UMA is not working anymore either. Only get "uma", and cannot access internet at all! I don't have an option to unplug the router - I'm at school! Its really weird - everything worked fine until this morning. I have been here (the exact same spot!) studying for the past week and phone worked fine.

What the F! I just got this phone a couple weeks ago!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Have you tried swapping SIM cards as a test? Also, try having your girlfriend remove the battery from her device so it is off. Then do a battery pull on yours to see if it connects while hers is off (do this test with your SIM card).
Old 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Yeah, and make sure that Orange UK set your phone up with a BB data plan not a regular data plan by accident.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
wobly

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
Damn - my UMA is not working anymore either. Only get "uma", and cannot access internet at all! I don't have an option to unplug the router - I'm at school! Its really weird - everything worked fine until this morning. I have been here (the exact same spot!) studying for the past week and phone worked fine.

What the F! I just got this phone a couple weeks ago!
The lower case "uma" is a network issue usually. I just had this problem a couple of weeks ago. It took a few days for T-Mobile to fix it.

It could be that simple.