BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:58 AM   #21
Unknown

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

Ok guys I installed the OS given above and now my OS is 4.2.2.67 but still nothing changed. I tried to resend the service books but no luck. Still no browser icon.

Plz help Im out of ideas
Old 08-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #22
shambasha
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

let me guess, you did not buy this device brand new, it was used by someone before. correct?
you need to call at&t and ask to talk to the blackberry helpdesk, then ask them to "release" the blackberry internet from thier network, if they don't understand what you are saying, ask them to esclate to blackberry. I had the same problem..
the blackberry Pin is routerd to at&t and until they release it. it will not work with t-mobile.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #23
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I'm having a devil of a time getting the Rogers OS off and the O2 OS on. I unlocked my Curve with the code from gsmphonesource, which worked perfectly. I can't say enough about their great service. Then the wipe/install went awry. Here's what I did. Twice.

Downloaded the Desktop Manager Software 4.2 SP2 from the link above.

Installed it on a clean computer that's never had any Blackberry or other PDA software on it. The computer is running Windows XP SP2.

Downloaded the O2 OS for the Curve from thier web site onto the computer.

Deleted the Vendor.XML file from c: > Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader.

Ran the O2 installer for the Curve software (4.2.2.67)

Opened the Desktop Manager Software and connected my Curve. It was recognized and the Desktop Manager identified it correctly by it's PIN.

I began the Application Loader routine and chose erase all applications (without backup).

The program ran for a good 15 minutes or so without interruption.

When it finished and the Curve restarted itself I still had Rogers. Still unlocked, of course, as once it's unlocked it will not re-lock itself. I registered from the Host Routing Table and resent my service books from MyTMobile. Everything works but of course no browser. It's still a Rogers OS. Am I missing an obvious step here?

When I ran the Application Loader I was presented with an Upgreade install, not a downgrade. Never had this option.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #24
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Rambo,
I'm looking at the order of what you did. You need to delete the vendor.xml file AFTER installing the 4.2.2.67 OS version to the PC. When you say you ran the application loader with "erase all applications" I'm not sure what you're talking about. Try deleting the vendor.xml file again (as it gets installed with every OS installtion to the PC.) and try running the Application Loader again.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #25
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I re-ran the installer for the O2 8300 handheld software and then deleted the vendor.xml file. Fired up the Desktop Manager program and got the same results. Folks talk about a warning that a "downgrade" is in progress and they need to click OK. I never saw this. Also, the top listings in the Application Loader program are listed and checked but greyed out. They are the Blackberry 4.2 System Software and Blackberry 4.2 Core Applications. Perhaps they're grayed out so they cannot be accidentally de-selected. Is this normal? My guess is that the O2 software is for some reason not being installed (odd if the Vendor.xml file keeps showing up) or not being allowed to overwrite the Rogers install.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #26
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Unhappy

Just to update, my "About" screen says I'm running OS 4.2.2.67 but every time I restart the Blackberry I see the Rogers splash screen. And after deleting and resending my service books I still have no browser. I just know I did something silly along the way but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I've debranded a bunch of SonyEricsson phones, updated the firmware on a couple of Nokia phones, and updated Blackberry OS's in the past on much older models (7230). And now I'm spinning my wheels.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #27
bucketmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon 5.0.0.xxx

not sure if this is rellavant but the tmobile manager next door to where i work has a tmobile branded curve he got yesterday. maybe they have their service books working and 02 software is not a requirement anymore......i asked him on a public release he said mid september
Old 08-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #28
precision80
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
What version is on your handheld now? You need to uninstall any versions later than the O2 version from the PC. Then make sure the O2 version is installed to the PC. Then delete the vendor.xml file (again) and try the load again.
yup that worked. thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #29
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketmouth View Post
not sure if this is rellavant but the tmobile manager next door to where i work has a tmobile branded curve he got yesterday. maybe they have their service books working and 02 software is not a requirement anymore......i asked him on a public release he said mid september

Is he using an 8300? Or a pre-release 8320?

If 8300, any chance he can point us to a location where the rest of us might download a version of the OS for the 8300 that supports T-Mobile with browsers and service books properly?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:47 AM   #30
AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
If 8300, any chance he can point us to a location where the rest of us might download a version of the OS for the 8300 that supports T-Mobile with browsers and service books properly?
vinmont - I downloaded and installed the version in this thread last night and it allowed the correct service books to download to activate the browser properly:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...6-chinese.html

NOTE that there are TWO versions listed, the very first is an older version which works at T-Mobile. The second is a version supporting Chinese which unfortunately still does not work for T-Mobile customers. Maybe once T-Mobile is selling their 8300 it will work

--Kidd
Old 08-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #31
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

This is killing me! I've tried to install a new OS over the Rogers one that came on my Curve. The ****ing thing just won't accept a new OS! It upgrades some modules but in the end I'm left with a Rogers OS. I deleted the new OS from Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > Shared, then re-downloaded the O2 OS and installed it. I then deleted the Vendor.XML file from Research In Motion > AppLoader before even connecting my Curve to the computer. I finally connected, opened Desktop Manager, and double-clicked Application Loader. Never was I prompted to accept a downgrade, nor did the computer immediately prompt me to runt the Application Loader. I had to start it manually. The computer had already identified the Blackberry and informed me it was connected, recognized, and ready to use. Oddly, System Software and Core Applications are greyed out but checked. Browser is greyed out but checked as well, and I have not gotten a browser yet. After running Applicatons Loader I deleted the service books and pulled the battery for a reset (while the BB was still running). It registered itself with the network upon restart before I could even request it in the Host Routing Tables setting. I went to MyTMobile and had my service books resent, getting two confirms of my standard email accounts being active, just as it should be. Upon restart I get the Rogers splash screen and that's that. No browser. Why is this not accepting the new OS? I mean, I even empty the trash to be sure it's deleted when I remove the Vendor.XML file.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #32
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
vinmont - I downloaded and installed the version in this thread last night and it allowed the correct service books to download to activate the browser properly:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...6-chinese.html

NOTE that there are TWO versions listed, the very first is an older version which works at T-Mobile. The second is a version supporting Chinese which unfortunately still does not work for T-Mobile customers. Maybe once T-Mobile is selling their 8300 it will work

--Kidd
Kidd - just want to be sure I'm getting this right: when you say the very first one (older one that works with T-Mobile), if you're referring to links in the first post in the thread (your link), by Spencer_CDS on 8/2/07 at 2:02pm... I see two download links:
1) in the very top paragraph (in bold, starting with "***Note:" and ending with "You can get it here", with the word "here" being the download link for the O2 version of the OS, and

2) middle of the post, preceded by the words, "Download link:".

The first one is the "classic" O2 os version that up until now seems to be the only one that lets us get the TMo browsers. If so - that's the same one I've been using: 4.2.2.67, Platform 2.4.0.29.

The second one is:
Package version: 4.2.2.265
Applications: 4.2.2.146
Platform: 2.4.0.62

Sounds like you're saying that the first one - the O2 version - is still the only one that supports T-Mobile fully...yes?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #33
AlexKidd

Quote:
Kidd - just want to be sure I'm getting this right: when you say the very first one (older one that works with T-Mobile), if you're referring to links in the first post in the thread (your link), by Spencer_CDS on 8/2/07 at 2:02pm... I see two download links:
1) in the very top paragraph (in bold, starting with "***Note:" and ending with "You can get it here", with the word "here" being the download link for the O2 version of the OS, and

2) middle of the post, preceded by the words, "Download link:".

The first one is the "classic" O2 os version that up until now seems to be the only one that lets us get the TMo browsers. If so - that's the same one I've been using: 4.2.2.67, Platform 2.4.0.29.

The second one is:
Package version: 4.2.2.265
Applications: 4.2.2.146

Sounds like you're saying that the first one - the O2 version - is still the only one that supports T-Mobile fully...yes?
That is correct - here is the link:
BlackBerry from O2 - Help and support

And to rambo47 - you keep saying you have the Rogers OS. If I understand you correctly, you are saying this because the screen says "Rogers" while you turn on the device. John Clark points out over in the other thread that you will never be able to get rid of this as it is permanently in the boot firmware of the device here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/631342-post99.html Never mind that it doesn't matter. What matters is that you have the proper version numbers listed in your help screen.

Go to your home screen and press SHIFT-ALT-H all at the same time and see if you match my phone:

Vendor ID: 102 <- This is AT&T - Rogers phone will be different.
Platform: 2.4.0.29
App Version: 4.2.2.67 (150)

The remaining items will be specific to your phone. If the above two numbers match, then you have the O2 OS installed. At this point, it's just a matter of getting the Host Routing Table right and then getting your service books. Go into HRT and "Register Now" from the menu. Once you have the note in your Messages folder about registration, go to the T-Mobile site and push your service books. Also, something else I did, don't know if this makes a difference or not, but click on the phone icon in the top-right corner of My T-Mobile and switch to the Blackberry 8800 - that's what the site thinks I have - then go back to the T-Mobile logo in top-left, scroll to the bottom and click manage e-mail, then push your service books again. You'll get another note in your Messages folder. Go back to your home screen and see if you have a browser. You might need to do a reset after that. If all of this doesn't work, then I'm at a loss.

--Kidd
Old 08-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #34
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
That is correct - here is the link:
BlackBerry from O2 - Help and support

And to rambo47 - you keep saying you have the Rogers OS. If I understand you correctly, you are saying this because the screen says "Rogers" while you turn on the device. John Clark points out over in the other thread that you will never be able to get rid of this as it is permanently in the boot firmware of the device here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/631342-post99.html Never mind that it doesn't matter. What matters is that you have the proper version numbers listed in your help screen.

Go to your home screen and press SHIFT-ALT-H all at the same time and see if you match my phone:

Vendor ID: 102 <- This is AT&T - Rogers phone will be different.
Platform: 2.4.0.29

The remaining items will be specific to your phone. If the above two numbers match, then you have the O2 OS installed. At this point, it's just a matter of getting the Host Routing Table right and then getting your service books. Go into HRT and "Register Now" from the menu. Once you have the note in your Messages folder about registration, go to the T-Mobile site and push your service books. Also, something else I did, don't know if this makes a difference or not, but click on the phone icon in the top-right corner of My T-Mobile and switch to the Blackberry 8800 - that's what the site thinks I have - then go back to the T-Mobile logo in top-left, scroll to the bottom and click manage e-mail, then push your service books again. You'll get another note in your Messages folder. Go back to your home screen and see if you have a browser. You might need to do a reset after that. If all of this doesn't work, then I'm at a loss.

--Kidd

Thx Kidd - this is the one I have installed. Seems to still be the only one that gives us TMo users all the features / browsers. Not a real problem. So far, the only feature I'm missing seems to be the ability to create my own icon folders on the desktop. Aside from that, everything else seems to be working fine. Guess I'll hang in until the 8320 comes out, and see if that makes it reasonable for other OS releases to start working with TMo for the 8300... Of course, I might wind up going for an 8320 at that point...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #35
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Hmmm. My screen says:

Vendor ID: 107
App Version: 4.2.2.166 (265)

Did I load the wrong O2 version?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #36
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Hmmm. My screen says:

rambo - this is NOT the version that's known to work properly with TMo and get you the two standard TMo browsers. If you CAN get both TMo browsers (Internet and T-Zones) to appear on your Curve with this version, PLEASE let us all know. That would be great. So far, all of us using the Curve on TMo who want the two Blackberry T-Mobile browsers have to use the other one:

Platform 2.4.0.29

Let us know!

BTW: Vendor ID is one of the permanent pieces of info that's locked into your Blackberry, along with the splash screen, that you won't be able to change. These will always reflect the carrier through which the phone was initially provisioned and purchased.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #37
AlexKidd

Quote:
Thx Kidd - this is the one I have installed. Seems to still be the only one that gives us TMo users all the features / browsers. Not a real problem. So far, the only feature I'm missing seems to be the ability to create my own icon folders on the desktop. Aside from that, everything else seems to be working fine. Guess I'll hang in until the 8320 comes out, and see if that makes it reasonable for other OS releases to start working with TMo for the 8300... Of course, I might wind up going for an 8320 at that point...
I've found that the older OS has more problems with it's media player. Sometimes the sound quality of music goes to a low resampling frequency (don't know if you know what 44khz downsampled to say 11khz sounds like, but yeah that's what it does.) Also, the video playback frequently falls out of sync with the audio. I didn't notice this problem at all on the newer OS.

The audio quality thing is easily fixed by opening the phone app and dialing a button - seems to reset the internal sound driver. Thankfully that happens very infrequently. As far as video goes, I'm not super concerned with it given that I won't use that very often.

I guess I'll keep my 8300 and if somebody gets later OSes working with the 8300, or I'll reflash to later and sell to an AT&T person then buy up an 8320.

--Kidd
Old 08-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #38
AlexKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Hmmm. My screen says:

As vinmont said, this is not correct. Try backing up your BB, then go into Desktop Manager and make sure the correct OS is loaded by going to Help -> About Desktop Manager -> Device Software tab. You should only see one listed - v4.2.2.67. If not, then fix this first by uninstalling all versions and then re-installing only the O2 version. Once that's done, close DM, delete the Vendor.xml file (if it's still there) re-open DM and double click the App Loader. Conduct a complete reflash by clicking the Advanced button and check the "Erase all currently installed applications" and proceed from there.

--Kidd
Old 08-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #39
wako
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile USA

I dunno if this will help you guys....

But I never installed any new ROM into my Unlocked BlackBerry when I got my phone. It is still running the AT&T ROM and is running on Tmobile just fine...

Platform: 2.4.0.39
App Version: 4.2.2.89

Tzones, Browser, Mail, and Internet all work
Old 08-16-2007, 07:15 AM   #40
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wako View Post
I dunno if this will help you guys....

But I never installed any new ROM into my Unlocked BlackBerry when I got my phone. It is still running the AT&T ROM and is running on Tmobile just fine...

Platform: 2.4.0.39
App Version: 4.2.2.89

Tzones, Browser, Mail, and Internet all work
Interesting...that's a later version than the rest of us have managed to use on T-Mobile and still get the standard and T-Zones browsers.

So - with the AT&T OS version, you should also have the AT&T shopping icons I imagine? (don't remember what they're called).
Closed Thread