Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: rogers
Default storm/thunder is not very attractive

Please Login to Remove!

from what i have seen the storm is ugly compared to the iphone. The bold is nice and can hold its own, but the storm is lacking in that department. Rim could of did a better job, look at the new htc hd thats a nice looking phone.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Default Duh

Well RIm wasnt trying to win a fashion show with the Storm, they are winning the people who like Touch who had a major thing for the iPhone. It is what you call marketing...Think about it.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I think the device looks nice. To each his/her own...
Old 09-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
aawong
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw5510 View Post
Well RIm wasnt trying to win a fashion show with the Storm, they are winning the people who like Touch who had a major thing for the iPhone. It is what you call marketing...Think about it.
The bold is a looker they definatley wanted to make a good looking device, but why not with the thunder? If the thunder was the same as the bold minus the keyboard now that would be a nice looking device. i think in the touch screen market looks do matter to that segment and not so much with the keyboard business device. The have it mixed up a good looking bold and ugly thunder it should be reversed.

Last edited by aawong; 09-24-2008 at 08:43 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
CaptainBDSC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
PIN: Not Tellin' :)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yeah I think it should be enclosed in a clear case and have a barely there bathing suit on. That might make it more attractive. Lol
Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
cocruxified
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW/TMO

I was kinda thinking the same thing after seeing all the original pics we were stuck with for so long, but after seeing the screens below my mind has completely changed. Turns out its a lot sleeker than I thought.

Gal. 2:20
Old 09-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
dhendriksen
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon

I think it's a good looking device, but to be honest that is the last of my worries. I am a BB power user to the max, and I just want to be able to use it effectively and effeciently, and have some fun on it when I have a chance.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
BKHAWK3

Model: None
Carrier: USCC

Well I'd be more concerned with material quality if the Storm's materials are inline with RIM usual quality then I feel it looks way better than the Iphone. The Iphone 3g has only been out 3+ month and there either wrapped with a thin polymer (that has horrible lookin openings all over), incased in colored plastic (hiding the beauty of said device) or left as is (which by now mean scatched to hell or worse yet cracked). But until the Storm is released my comments can't be compared so we'll wait til Nov 1 (or whatever release date ends up). Also by looks of pictures the HTC model with its gloss black case would appear to be a scratch magnet and we all know how HOT scratches look.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I think its better in black than grey.
two things that I can see bugging me though is plastic screen and the push to type thing.

But I think it looks good in black, like in cocrux's first pic.

BK, your complaints then are with the cases or screen protectors, not the phone then. I have 2 people in my office with iphone 3G's and no cases and they do not scratch as much as you think. I would expect the Storm to have a durable case, not sure about the plastic screen.

Last edited by test54; 09-25-2008 at 01:16 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
I think its better in black than grey.
two things that I can see bugging me though is plastic screen and the push to type thing.

But I think it looks good in black, like in cocrux's first pic.

BK, your complaints then are with the cases or screen protectors, not the phone then. I have 2 people in my office with iphone 3G's and no cases and they do not scratch as much as you think. I would expect the Storm to have a durable case, not sure about the plastic screen.
I think we need to hold our opinions until we see/play with it live. In particular typing on the screen keyboard. I really hate the iPhone keyboard.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

in the last slide, I looked at the front image of the Storm more closely and notice it has the signal listed as "3G" which is what GSM shows as opposed to "1XEV" that CDMA shows, I wonder if this is what it is supposed to show when overseas or if there is in fact a GSM model out there that they used for this mock.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
I think we need to hold our opinions until we see/play with it live. In particular typing on the screen keyboard. I really hate the iPhone keyboard.
well then i guess we should close most of the threads in this section? its a forum, free to post opinions of anything (almost anything).

plastic screen and push are the first two things I want to inspect.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #13
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I'm excited about a possible GSM version of this. The virtual keyboard remains the stumbling block for me however. Hopefully the landscape mode keyboard will make it big enough to use without a typo every other time I type a character. That's about my fail rate with an iPhone.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
othernet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: MOX

I have to agree. Something is missing. It isn't ugly but unlike the Bold, there seems to be some "tension" missing on the Storm/Thunder. Unlike the Bold with its sleek black fascia framed by a beveled chrome rim, the Storm/Thunder seems to round off into its chrome rim. The chrome frets separating the key rows in the Bold with its bowing articulation and "U" insert below adds some tension to the flatness of the face and that makes it interesting.

Holding the Storm/Thunder landscape wise would be less than ideal (try flipping your Bold to the back and see since it has a similar profile). Your thumb resting on the sloping edge is not very natural.

What I like about the Storm/Thunder is the back. The glass lens cover and steel battery door gives it a very polished look. That is much nicer than the Bold's boxed double cutout for the lens/flash cluster.

It seems like RIM have two design language going on here - the Javelin/Storm and there's the Bold/Curve/Flip. Or, perhaps one is evolving into the other.

As someone here said, to each its own.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:08 AM   #15
StormReviews
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: vodaphone
Default Animated images of the new Storm

Some animated 360° product shots of the new Storm - you can see it from all angles!

BlackBerry Storm 9500 Mobile Phone Pictures! (landscape view) | BlackBerry Storm Mobile Phone Reviews

BlackBerry Storm 9500 Mobile Phone - animated picture (portrait) | BlackBerry Storm Mobile Phone Reviews
Closed Thread