Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
WhizzledBlury
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 9530 like 8830 with CDMA + GSM?

Please Login to Remove!

Just for kicks... what does everyone think the chances are that this 'soon to be' device will have the likes similar to (if it is for vzw) vzw's 8830 global phone.

I, for one, would pick this phone up first thing when it comes out if it has dual cdma/gsm capabilities. However, maybe see how this new phone handles first and then just keep my 8830 as a tag along device? Yet it is such a pain to have to carry two phones...
Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 4.6.0.67)

It will be exactly the same in that regard since it is releasing on VZW and Vodafone..

Gsm for outside the US, CDMA inside the US.

www.blackberrynews.com jibi posted the radio specs.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
tomdkat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzledBlury View Post
Just for kicks... what does everyone think the chances are that this 'soon to be' device will have the likes similar to (if it is for vzw) vzw's 8830 global phone.

I, for one, would pick this phone up first thing when it comes out if it has dual cdma/gsm capabilities. However, maybe see how this new phone handles first and then just keep my 8830 as a tag along device? Yet it is such a pain to have to carry two phones...

I don't think that is the market they are going after.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
PKIronMan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9999

It will be a World Edition phone. Otherwise the Vodafone connection would make no sense. It's got to be a WE phone.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
WhizzledBlury
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIronMan View Post
It will be a World Edition phone. Otherwise the Vodafone connection would make no sense. It's got to be a WE phone.
That's what I'm hoping for.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
wayneholbrook

PIN: 20D214AB

Im sorry if this has been asked on previous post, but being that it will be GSM as well, does that mean I can unlock it and use on tmobile's network???
Old 07-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
PKIronMan

Model: 9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
Im sorry if this has been asked on previous post, but being that it will be GSM as well, does that mean I can unlock it and use on tmobile's network???
Can you buy it unlocked or with Verizon support unlock it? Probably not. Will somebody figure out how to unlock it for a price or board postings? Eventually. But out of the gate if the Verizon/Vodafone exclusivity really exists (and it almost certainly does) then you'll be out-of-luck.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
wunderbar

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Can you buy it unlocked or with Verizon support unlock it? Probably not. Will somebody figure out how to unlock it for a price or board postings? Eventually. But out of the gate if the Verizon/Vodafone exclusivity really exists (and it almost certainly does) then you'll be out-of-luck.
and even if you could unlock the GSM radio on it, if it's a world edition like the 8830 is, the GSM radios will not work in North America anyway, so putting on AT+T, T-Mobile, or Rogers will not be possible.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Verizon will unlock world edition devices for a customer that pays full price for the phone. Sprint ships them unlocked. That wont help here in the US, but it makes it easier to find a compatible SIM when traveling.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
adkalra

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

From what everyone is speculating there will be only one spec of Thunder released a World Edition that has Verizon CDMA USA use and GSM 900/1800 UMTS 2100 for International Use with Vodaphone??

If that is the case, how would a Vodaphone customer roam in Canada, Central, or South America where there may not be Verizon CDMA roaming agreements.

Doesn't it make more sense to release a Verizon World edtion phone for Verizon. And a Quad Band GSM plus 3G version for Vodaphone?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
ofelas

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkalra View Post
From what everyone is speculating there will be only one spec of Thunder released a World Edition that has Verizon CDMA USA use and GSM 900/1800 UMTS 2100 for International Use with Vodaphone??

If that is the case, how would a Vodaphone customer roam in Canada, Central, or South America where there may not be Verizon CDMA roaming agreements.

Doesn't it make more sense to release a Verizon World edtion phone for Verizon. And a Quad Band GSM plus 3G version for Vodaphone?
Verizon certainly has CDMA roaming agreements throughout Canada (with Telus and Bell).
AS far as South & Central America - Vodafone has GSM roaming agreements there, and Verizon has a few CDMA/GSM roaming agreements there as well.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
adkalra

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
Verizon certainly has CDMA roaming agreements throughout Canada (with Telus and Bell).
AS far as South & Central America - Vodafone has GSM roaming agreements there, and Verizon has a few CDMA/GSM roaming agreements there as well.
My question is more on the hardware side. If Vodafone has roaming agreements in Central/South America the phone would have to have the hardware to be able to roam on those GSM networks i.e. GSM 850/1900. The phone would have to be a Quad band GSM to roam on all of those networks.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #13
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

The device doesnt *have* to be able to access all of Vodafone's roaming partners. They will simply have to state that it would only work on X networks and not their entire roaming partner list. It will however work on those 3G frequencies (which is interesting because AT&T in the states uses the same 3G frequency set). So in "theory" you would be able to roam on the 3G networks only, provided the device doesnt automatically switch to CDMA when it is present.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkalra View Post
My question is more on the hardware side. If Vodafone has roaming agreements in Central/South America the phone would have to have the hardware to be able to roam on those GSM networks i.e. GSM 850/1900. The phone would have to be a Quad band GSM to roam on all of those networks.
Not necessarily. It could roam on Verizon's network. Vodafone and Verizon do have roaming relationships, for other GSM-CDMA hybrids.

It's probable that the Thunder is CDMA North America + dual band 900/1800 GSM (plus 1900/2100 3G, if that's what Vodafone uses). As a result, it'd become more pratical for Vodafone units to roam on Verizon.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 08-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #15
wayneholbrook

PIN: 20D214AB
Default Verizon Help?

I have a BB with T-mobile and my wife has a unlocked Iphone. I want to go over to Verizon and get the new thunder when it comes out. Can my wife unlock her iphone and use it on the verizon network as well???
Old 08-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #16
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Quote:
I have a BB with T-mobile and my wife has a unlocked Iphone. I want to go over to Verizon and get the new thunder when it comes out. Can my wife unlock her iphone and use it on the verizon network as well???
No.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
WhizzledBlury
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Thread heist?

Plus... confirmed global version of 9500 for vzw????

ImageShack - Hosting :: stormqi5.jpg

I hope so...