Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
PuzzledSpark

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 10 gripes about my Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Please can this be turned into a sticky threat for people to provide valuable feedback to BB designers.

My background: Previously a big BB fan. Moved away and came back after having an iphone for a year (great phone but ridiculous for typing).

I have a BB Bold 9650, OS6. This is off the back of a thread I started relating to item 1, in the help forum.

My 10 gripes about BB Bold User Interface
----------------------------------------

1) Composing a new text and sending it to a number that is not in your contacts list; brings up a confusing menu that says “phone” or “email” this number. You have to learn that Phone means txt/sms not in actual fact phone.
2) When typing in a new number, whilst “phone” may display the actual number; the main entry box displays letter giving rise to that horrendous 0ZZZZSSED type issue. Honestly how dumb are you BB. I selected Compose New Text, I obviously want to type in a number!
3) Comes pre-loaded with a whole load of junk that you will never use and have to remove
4) Uninstalling an app is a lengthy process requiring a reboot
5) The GPS isn’t very accurate (in NYC)
6) It’s a lot slower than iphone 3 or 4 – my friends put me to shame when looking for a nearby restaurant
7) There are times when the interface freezes
8) There are times when entire icons have disappeared
9) Let’s say you are in a bar, and someone wants to give you their number;; you have to pres the green call button, type in the number, bring up the drop down list, work out whether to scroll up or down to find add new contact (it’s down btw) before you can type their name and add. I want to be able to start typing the number on the home screen, then select drop down menu which shows add new contact without having to scroll
10) Is there a need for “Favourites” and “Frequent” and “All”. Just have “All” and let the user create any other categories, and give the user the option to sort All by “most frequently used”
Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: 10 gripes about my Blackberry

2) This is how it works as if you wanted to type a PIN message or an email message as well.

3) This isn't the BB, but Verizon pushing those apps. Don't blame the BB, blame Verizon

4) highlight the app on the homescreen, press the menu key and select Delete. It really isn't a lengthy process at all.

6) This could be related to your network as well. What app are you using to locate a restaurant? I would recommend Poynt. If you're using the Browser, then it will be slower.

7) What are you doing when it freezes?

8) Icons will only disappear if you hide them or remove the application.

9) Why not go into the Contacts, press the Menu Key and select New Contact? That is a lot easier than what you're trying to do.

10) That is new to OS6. In all other OSes before, they just had "All". It takes some getting used to, but I find it helpful in organizing things to a degree. You can clear your frequent. You can also add websites and contacts as favorites which is pretty nice as well.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
pcerio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

3) those are shortcuts to launchers, and don't really take up any space. Just hide them.

10) +1 The trays are better than the lame OS5 ALL only view
Old 05-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

2) Since you can send SMS messages to email addresses, the way it works actually makes perfect sense.

5) No GPS receiver (other than perhaps a differential GPS) is going to be accurate in the NYC concrete canyons. The GPS receiver on the 9650 is actually very accurate. It's not the strongest receiver, however, and can get blocked by such things as concrete and steel.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
PuzzledSpark

Thanks for the replies. They're appreciated.

Responses...

2)This is how it works as if you wanted to type a PIN message or an email message as well.
and 2) Since you can send SMS messages to email addresses, the way it works actually makes perfect sense.

My point is that if it know's I want to send a tt because I've chosen the txt icon and chosen create new message then can it not adapt and display numbers?

3) This isn't the BB, but Verizon pushing those apps. Don't blame the BB, blame Verizon
and 3) those are shortcuts to launchers, and don't really take up any space. Just hide them.

Fair enough.

4) highlight the app on the homescreen, press the menu key and select Delete. It really isn't a lengthy process at all.

Yes it is. The reboot takes forever. This is what makes it lengthy.

5) No GPS receiver (other than perhaps a differential GPS) is going to be accurate in the NYC concrete canyons. The GPS receiver on the 9650 is actually very accurate. It's not the strongest receiver, however, and can get blocked by such things as concrete and steel.

I'm in New York. looking for place x. My frends and I all put out our phones. iphones get the answer in 20 secs, whilst I'm still fumbling for things to load up. This is what I want to change.

6) This could be related to your network as well. What app are you using to locate a restaurant? I would recommend Poynt. If you're using the Browser, then it will be slower.

I thought Verizon was meant to be one of the best networks and in NYC too? Yelp or Zagat, it's embarassingly quicker on the iphone (and I'm not even a fan of Apple in general)

7) What are you doing when it freezes?

It's a momentary freeze, as if the processor is catching up. Quite often Facebook related. I guess it's facebooks fault for not creating the app a bit better. Actually I tell a lie, it can also slow down when I want to read a new text message or email.

8) Icons will only disappear if you hide them or remove the application.
Not true. There is a glitch. It was my address book that was hidden. I googled around and found others reporting similar problems. Unhide didn't do anything. Eventually I had to do something in the options or themes menu to get it back

9) Why not go into the Contacts, press the Menu Key and select New Contact? That is a lot easier than what you're trying to do.

Because when you are tipsy/drunk at a bar it's pretty tricky navigating the trackpad to the contacts list. Not overly tricky but it just feels clumsy in front of a girl; who's waiting for you to hurry up and take her number

10) That is new to OS6. In all other OSes before, they just had "All". It takes some getting used to, but I find it helpful in organizing things to a degree. You can clear your frequent. You can also add websites and contacts as favorites which is pretty nice as well.
and 10) +1 The trays are better than the lame OS5 ALL only view

I take your point. But Frequent and Favourites are quite overlappying categories that it becomes a little ambigious from a user interface viewpoint. I like the idea of favourites; but frequent I'm not sure about.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

2) You can send to [email address]. This is what Motorcycle Mama was hinting at. This is still considered a text message and uses characters other than numbers. So, in this sense, it does make sense. How is any phone to know that you're going to text an AT&T number? No phone can possibly know your intention.

4) the reboot can be lenghty, but it prompts you if you want to reboot now or later, so why not just select later and then reboot before you go to bed or sometime when it suits you best?

8) I've never had any issues with my 9330 on Verizon on OS6 with lagging, so I am not sure if the 9650 has stability issues with OS6.

9) I am pretty sure RIM expects most people to add new contacts via the Contact application. The way you're doing it can be done, but it isn't the way it was designed to be done. I can go in through my backdoor and walk to the front of my house to unlock and open my front door, but it isn't the way it should be done. The way you're doing it is taking more steps than the way it should be done.

On a side note, it appears as if the BB doesn't suit your needs. You're comparing the device to your friend's iPhone. Maybe you should try the iPhone for yourself and see if you like it. I would be willing to bet, within a few weeks of using the iPhone, you will have a list just like this for that device.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

And you do know that we are not connected with RIM in any way. I don't even know if any RIM employees frequent here.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
fourstringfuror
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

This sounds more like a list user-specific issues in a very localized market - NYC. You keep comparing your Bold with your friends' iPhones and how they operate in the city. You talk about getting drunk and meeting girls at bars.

Yes, OS6 is far from perfect, but it's a far cry from 5.0. I've been using my 9330 for nearly a month now (admittedly the weakest of the latest generation devices), and have experienced none of the problems you describe.

If all you want to do is send texts to girls, and look for bars to find said girls, I would recommend an iPhone.

Last edited by fourstringfuror; 05-16-2011 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: redundancy
Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

No need for a sticky, in my opinion.

For every gripe there is at least one anti-gripe, as this thread shows.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

2) You also can send an SMS to [email address] or any other email address. As noted, the device doesn't "know" what your intentions are.

5) That doesn't sound like an accuracy issue.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
PuzzledSpark

Thanks for the replies, I do take them in with an open mind.

The point I'm trying to make is that when I was on the iphone for a year I never noticed any of these issues. It felt like by and large it had been built with the end user in mind; rather than enforcing a particular way of operating on the user. With the BB I've found it seems that the UI design was designed with a rational programmers mindset (I used to be a programmer) and not tried and tested in the real world. And I must stress I'm not a big Apple fan (for other reasons) and used to love BB.

The bar scenario is just one example of how the real world may differ to what the programmer envisioned.

As for 2) instead of having xyxssss displayed on top and the actual number further down the list, why doesn't it make a sensible conclusion that in most cases you will want to type a number and thus display the number at the top at the xyxxxx further down?

But fair enough if you guys don't see this as a UI shortcoming, I'm happy to accept I'm the minority voice here.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I have to admit that I brushed off your complaints because I don't use SMS. Don't see the point of it if you have a BlackBerry and a data plan. I'm biased.

But in your bar example, I would press the A address book shortcut key (with dial from home disabled) and enter new contact from there.

As others have said, there is sometimes (maybe often) a BlackBerry way of doing things. You can do some of those things other ways, too, but there is always an easy way of doing it, for the most part.

My advice to others when they get a BlackBerry for the first time is they should forget the way other phones and PDA's work, forget the way they are used to doing things, and start fresh. BlackBerrys are different.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledSpark View Post
2) When typing in a new number, whilst “phone” may display the actual number; the main entry box displays letter giving rise to that horrendous 0ZZZZSSED type issue. Honestly how dumb are you BB. I selected Compose New Text, I obviously want to type in a number!
My OS5 phone, while displaying letters, also displays the phone number and preselects it.
Quote:
9) Let’s say you are in a bar, and someone wants to give you their number;; you have to pres the green call button, type in the number, bring up the drop down list, work out whether to scroll up or down to find add new contact (it’s down btw) before you can type their name and add. I want to be able to start typing the number on the home screen, then select drop down menu which shows add new contact without having to scroll
I have dial from home screen enabled. If I type a nu,ber from the home screen, the phone app appears. From there, a press of the menu button will bring up a menu, in which "add to contacts" is an option.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Sounds to me like the OP needs to go back to an iPhone. Not going to be happy with a BB.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Yup. At 10 Gripes, RIM sends their own DevGru to your house. Either you surrender your BlackBerry and accept an iPhone, or it's off to Guantanamo Bay for you.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Whats an IPhone
Closed Thread