Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada
Default Initial startup by wi-fi only??

Please Login to Remove!

I just plugged in my brand-spankin'-new 64G Playbook to my computer for the first time... My BB Desktop software sees it fine...but I can't see an option to download/upgrade the OS and etc.

Do I _have_ to use wi-fi for the initial connection? I don't have a wi-fi connection at home...WTF??
Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Re: Initial startup by wi-fi only??

It is a WiFi unit...Software upgrades are done OTA via WiFi (or slowly by the Bridge maybe). I think you need WiFi for the setup.

I don't think there is any Internet connectivity via the BB DM, but if I am wrong I am sure corrections will be posted....

Last edited by stevetaz; 05-11-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's just nuts... Well, off to Starbucks.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

I don't know that it is nuts since it is a WiFi device. Here is a KB Article link that confirms a WiFi connection is required to set up the device and it also includes some information and another link about using WiFi in a public location....
Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

I can update my 9700 software with Desktop software...why not the Playbook? In fact, what better way to do it? Wi-fi is fine as an alternate method...BUT I DON'T HAVE WI-FI AT HOME! Am I the only person in the Blackberry universe in this situation? By that logic, I should only be able to access phone updates OTA.

In any case, after sitting for an hour at the Starbucks hotspot, my PB downloaded the software [after some glitches], rebooted....and now nothing. I have the PB splashscreen [the one with the floating dots] and it's otherwise unactive and unreactive. The power button doesn't seem to work. There doesn't seem to be any kind of manual in the PB packaging...

EXTREMELY not impressed right now.

Last edited by DaveTheA; 05-11-2011 at 02:18 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheA View Post
By that logic, I should only be able to access phone updates OTA.
You can update your phone OTA. The only caveat is you have to have the carriers most current release installed, and the carrier has to have a newer release available.

If you upgraded to a version your carrier didn't provide, then you won't be able to upgrade OTA.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
You can update your phone OTA. The only caveat is you have to have the carriers most current release installed, and the carrier has to have a newer release available.

If you upgraded to a version your carrier didn't provide, then you won't be able to upgrade OTA.
Mr. Conyers, your response suggests to me that you haven't read this thread. I'm talking about the senselessness of being unable to update my Playbook by desktop connection.

I discovered how to do a hard reset on my PB in another thread [push Power and Vol_up and Vol_down buttons for several seconds simultaneously]. My PB tells me there was a problem with my software download, try again. I have no time left today to play with this...maybe tomorrow.

Still VERY not impressed...
Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I have read the thread, and I understand your frustration, I was just commenting on a portion of your last post.

The PB is a WiFi only device, a 3G/4G device will be released in the summer (rumored). I suppose as a BlackBerry user, you'd think you should be able to update the PB via DM.

After doing a quick Google search, it appears it is possible.

How To Force The Latest OS Update on Your BlackBerry PlayBook using Desktop Manager - BerryReview

BlackBerry PlayBook OS version 1.0.1.1690 now available via Desktop Manager! | CrackBerry.com
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Return it. Get something else. Probably best, as I expect a whirlwind of disappointment coming your way if you are already "VERY not impressed" and you haven't even completed registration.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 05-11-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Dave, you indicated you had "some glitches", but you downloaded the software update. Now it looks like there is a problem with the download so I suppose you are going to have to head to a public WiFi location.

What kind of glitches did you experience the first time? Maybe your download got corrupted.

Here is a link to the PB Manual.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I have read the thread, and I understand your frustration, I was just commenting on a portion of your last post.

After doing a quick Google search, it appears it is possible.

How To Force The Latest OS Update on Your BlackBerry PlayBook using Desktop Manager - BerryReview

BlackBerry PlayBook OS version 1.0.1.1690 now available via Desktop Manager! | CrackBerry.com
[sigh] I apologize for my earlier thinly-veiled snarkiness. Thank you for the very helpful links. It appears I still have to do the initial setup by Wi-Fi however. It still seems dumb.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
Dave, you indicated you had "some glitches", but you downloaded the software update. Now it looks like there is a problem with the download so I suppose you are going to have to head to a public WiFi location.

What kind of glitches did you experience the first time? Maybe your download got corrupted.

Here is a link to the PB Manual.
An excellently helpful link...thanks! The glitches I mentioned were connection dropouts...no surprise that the public wi-fi hotspot at Starbucks is low-quality. Also, when the downloads resumed after the connection restored, the percent of download was all over the place. The likelihood of corruption is good, although it surprises me a little that the PB would accept and try to reboot after a bad download. Or maybe not...
Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Return it. Get something else. Probably best, as I expect a whirlwind of disappointment coming your way if you are already "VERY not impressed" and you haven't even completed registration.
If I gave up after a few problems managing tech devices, I would never have built my first computer 20 years ago. The fact that lots of people here have managed the setup tells me that it's do-able, and I feel quite confident that the Playbook will work just fine for me once I get it done. Of course, I suppose I shouldn't brag about my technical 'expertise' when I don't have home wi-fi system...

I still fail to understand why RIM wouldn't make the initial setup possible via desktop as well as wi-fi..
Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I have a feeling that RIM was so focused on OTA updates as a selling point that they never really considered updating via the desktop. Maybe they did and it's coming later? No idea, but it is what it is.

There are plenty of problems with the PlayBook. I just hope that the issues aren't ones you consider critical, otherwise you are in for a world of hurt. For me, the issues are ones I feel like I can get over in the short term because I am interested to see where this thing goes... and I have WiFi at home.

Semper Fi 3/2/2

Last edited by ifonline; 05-11-2011 at 03:35 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheA View Post
I still fail to understand why RIM wouldn't make the initial setup possible via desktop as well as wi-fi..
Because EVERYONE ELSE has WiFi at home...

Just kidding.....

As Ian suggested (hoped?) perhaps the DM based PlayBook startup will follow. You might want to drop a suggestion to RIM and who knows, maybe if they hear from enough users they will consider that ability necessary....
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

The wi-fi at Starbucks is very slow and unstable. I think I read they still are using wireless b which is ancient history now. McDonalds has free wi-fi but I don't know if it's better.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Librarys also have free WiFi (at least where I am they do) and it is generally a pretty good connection.....
Old 05-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Went to the public library... Discovered the PB needs to be at a certain charge level to download updates, whether it's plugged in or not. Went home, plugged it in to charge.

Went back to library with fully charged PB. Tried to download update a dozen times but could not connect to update server. I suspect that library wi-fi settings disallow downloads of this kind.

Went to Best Buy where GeekSquad guy helpfully logged me into the Best Buy wi-fi net. Downloaded and installed update. Installed Bridge and connected 9700 to Playbook. Drove home feeling good.

At home I discover that the PB is stuck on the 'Connect to Wi-Fi' screen. Power cycles and resets do not change this.

I am not going to have a chance to screw around with this until after the weekend. By that time I will have had my Playbook for a solid week without being able to use it. I WANT, very much, to use this gadget. I do not want to return it merely out of spite. But I have to say I have never experienced this level of trouble with a working device. What in the bleeding hell was RIM thinking of when it released a device that simply will not work out of the box, and requires such a ridiculously elaborate and problem-filled setup??
Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #19
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

What are routers nowadays? Gotta be inexpensive. Get one and you (maybe) will be so very happy.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Don't know what to tell you. I had zero issues setting up the PlayBook, so I would not call the setup ridiculously elaborate or problem-filled. What do you mean the device is stuck on the connect to WiFi screen?

Do you have WiFi profiles saved on your 9700? If so, they transferred to the PlayBook when you bridged. Possible that there is a WiFi profile causing issues on the PlayBook, although I have not yet heard of such an issue.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Closed Thread