laurentio
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700b
PIN: Feel free to ask.
Carrier: O2-UK

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwSy View Post
1. requires UMA as dar as Im aware and o2 still dont have this setup.
2. ? not managed this myself, best iv managed is 1k loading in the top corner, and to get this i had to disable the firewall on my bb.
3. It requires interprocess comunications in options > security > apps. But its rather data heavy.

Any further news on uma through o2 bis off anyone?
3. what a fantastic idea!!! have changed them all to allow and both applications are working fine now. thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailor View Post
I can get Opera working over Wi-Fi by setting the APN under the blackberrys TCP/IP Settings. I just used mobile.o2.co.uk., user o2web and pw password
O2 are still working with me to get the Blackberry over WiFi resolved, I hear from them every other day, I would imagine you'll know it works about the same time as I will as the WiFi will come up on your mobiles but i'll post here anyhows.
FALSE. TCP settings are O2 dedicated, nothing to do with the WIFI connection. You need the TCP settings in order to install Opera but you should not need them if you access the internet via WIFI.

Quote:
oh, just tryng the opera over wifi, would be good if this works. not sure if id use it much but still.

EDIT: nope still cant get opera mini 4 to use my wifi. it keeps using edge connection. do i need anything extra to the apn name to force it to route over wifi or anything anywhere else like some form of midlet setting somewhere?
Back to you...see above, unfortunately at the moment is nothing we can do. I'm in advanced dialogs with Opera team let's see if they can come up with a solution. I'll keep you updated anyway.
linkedin.com/in/laurentio
Old 12-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #62
HuwSy

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Iv found this http://www.blackberryforums.com/deve...t-bis-bes.html but havent been able to work out if this is usable with opera without it being compiled into it with all its other network options.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #63
laurentio

did you try it?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 AM   #64
HuwSy

Ye, well adding it to the APN in TCP settings, but i think its ment to be in the coding or midlet exercution either way i have no idea how to do them.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #65
laurentio

have tried it on mine. doesn't work. what's the exact sequence you've input in there?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #66
ashleyneiltaylor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

Opera Mini doesn't use UMA, admittedly I am on BES, but have Opera 4 working with WiFi.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #67
laurentio

so how do you do that then?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #68
ashleyneiltaylor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentio View Post
so how do you do that then?
I just installed it and it worked. Incidentally, I have no WiFi problems, it works at work and talks to the BES directly, then it works elsewhere and talks to the Blackberry infrastructure.

Edited to say I know it was using WiFi because I had GPRS/EDGE turned off.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #69
leatherface
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange (FR)

Ok i have a serious hint for you Taylor. I went to an Orange store this afternoon to ask a new sim. I installed it in the BB and when I was back at home the bis access through wifi was granted. Exactly the same as you.
I noticed that when i was placing phonecall the "my number" was set to unknown. So i decided to go to options, advanced options, sim card, and then hit the menu key to set up the sim card number.
As soos as i set it up i didn't get access to BIS anymore through wifi. I went back to the settings of the sim card number and delete my number so that it returned to unknown and it worked again.
Try to look in this direction. For me it's working now.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #70
HuwSy

From what iv read it seems that those on BES can have the service books pushed to them from the server allowing wifi, basically giving vpn access via wifi, once this is up on a device its defaults to using wifi where avail for any data before gsm. but BIS users have to wait until someone codes opera to have a wifi override, like it has for socket/http, or for o2 to supply the complete wifi service book set. If i can convince the right people i might try seting up my device to the BES at work then removing it to see if it keeps the service books active without flooding my bb with emails, but that wont be until after xmas now, in the mean time i hope someone at opera comes up with the required changes.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #71
laurentio

that has nothing to do with WIFI.
have spoken to O2 BBerry dpt. It is not implemented in UK yet...
Old 12-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #72
Tailor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherface View Post
Ok i have a serious hint for you Taylor. I went to an Orange store this afternoon to ask a new sim. I installed it in the BB and when I was back at home the bis access through wifi was granted. Exactly the same as you.
I noticed that when i was placing phonecall the "my number" was set to unknown. So i decided to go to options, advanced options, sim card, and then hit the menu key to set up the sim card number.
As soos as i set it up i didn't get access to BIS anymore through wifi. I went back to the settings of the sim card number and delete my number so that it returned to unknown and it worked again.
Try to look in this direction. For me it's working now.
Just tried this, it hasn't helped me :(
Last week though we added another blackberry and the same thing occurred where by the BB over WiFi worked for a few hours and then stopped.
Whilst it was working i went through every service book, HRT, Security, everything and there was no difference.
I swopped the sim with mine and then i got BB over WiFi, and the new handset didnt, so its definately some account setting.

O2 are being very good about it and want to work it to a resolution, It's a little beyond the normal cust services so they have put me in touch with the BES team and raised a case with RIM.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:59 AM   #73
leatherface

Carrier: Orange (FR)

I hope you'll find a fix as soon as possible. For me i've tried yesterday on an open hotspot in a MacDonald and just after the login on their portal the wifi icon lit clearly and the connection to the BIS was granted.
I keep thinking it's very strange because of the influence the sim settings get on this....
Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #74
threewater

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailor View Post
nope, and it's lost the address now in the diagnostics page.
What i didn't say before is that seconds before it disconnected i got an email to each of my accounts saying that the email account has now been setup blah blah. I don't why, i hadn't changed anything or resent my service books
So it's like something was reset at RIMs end and i lost it.
That's my experience too - two 8120s that briefly had full WiFi. Then after registration it was lost. Now I have a grey Wifi symbol and a yellow connection - though it will work if I turn off GPRS.

Can we not put group pressure on O2 to sort out this mess? As it is, the device is unfit for purpose IMHO.

Threewater
Old 12-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #75
HuwSy

Agreed, if enough of us make persistant enquierys hopefully itl be rectified, the whole point of having wifi is to be able to use it when available over other data connections.

I'l call there bes customer services tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #76
mklappenbach

Carrier: Personal - Argentina

Some of you know how can I use IM softs (skype or MSN) for chating but not over the EDGE. I want to use those soft thru wifi.
Both softs need the TCP parameters of the carrier to work
If I disconect the EDGE, does not work over the wifi signal
But shure, there is a possible like emails or browser to use the wifi instead the cell phone company plan
Thanks
Marcelo
Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #77
mklappenbach

Carrier: Personal - Argentina

Some of you know if I reload the OS version of my BB whith one of Orange, (multilingual) where appears the options/connections preference/ menu will have it in my BB once the soft be re loaded.

My BB 8820 unloked from AT&T does not come whith this item in the options menu

Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #78
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I believe that option only works with TMobile's UMA service. I'm a little unclear on your question, though.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #79
mr_goosey

Model: 8120
Carrier: o2

Quote:
I also cant get the blackberry over WiFi, i can get WiFi OK and if i choose the WiFi browser can surf a lot quicker but all blackberry apps use the cellular network.
The Manage Connections page shows a yellow stop sign for WiFi.
My WiFi diagnostics show a red cross for connecting under the blackberry infrastructure
Having exact same problem. The wifi connection also initially worked for a while, but now is one the yellow light.

Please help!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #80
threewater

Model: 9000

Quote:
Agreed, if enough of us make persistant enquierys hopefully itl be rectified, the whole point of having wifi is to be able to use it when available over other data connections.

I'l call there bes customer services tomorrow.
Well mine is BIS, but the problem is the same. I managed to get through to an O2 CSR today who spoke to Blackberry Support. He relayed the message that they knew about the problem and are working on it. He asked me to send an email outlining the situation because the more people that do so the higher it escalates.

I used the online form at https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help

Threewater
Closed Thread