Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
HKP7M13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZW
Default iPhone back to BB?

Please Login to Remove!

About three months ago I switched from my VZW 8830 to an iPhone. I miss my BB and want to go back. Since I'm in a contract with ATT I'm thinking on going with the Curve 8310.

Who has gone back to BB from an iPhone? The iPhone is a cool toy but email sucks. I miss BB411, BB Messenger, PIN messenging, the Pass word keeper and other things.

The phone feature on the iPhone is kind of a pain. The touch screen doesn't always activate what you touch. The "intuitive" typing isn't that great either.

I could always get an iPod touch to fill the gap.

Thoughts from those who've switched?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
snowcrash
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I made the switch from the iPhone to the Curve and yeah there are some things I miss about the iPhone. The web on the iPhone is AMAZING!! Google Maps "add to contacts" is a GREAT feature as well. Visual Voice Mail! And a few other things here and there. But overall VERY happy with my BB. Its a SOLID device. Great for calls, emails, txt messages, mms (sorry iPhone). With the iPhone I always felt that my email was getting lost or was just taking a while to get (it was never lost, just took forever sometimes) but with the BB sometimes its just about instant! (advantages of push I guess). I actually liked the "intuitive" typing, but would take a "real keyboard" over a virtual one any day of the week. Plus with the BB I can do things so much quicker. With the iPhone it always felt like a ton of steps to get to anywhere say like contacts for example: Like with BB its a couple clicks to get to what I need. Sometimes only one (two if I have it on standby. I push the mute key to unlock) With the iPhone it was, press the top button, slide the slider, click "phone" click "contacts" scroll, scroll scroll, find contact, click, click number. On the other hand the BB is unlock, and since I have "dial from home screen" type one to three letters, send. There may be just as many "steps" if you were to count key clicks vs actions, but with the blackberry its just so much quicker. I always felt that I was just always clicking and sliding with the iPhone and it didnt feel that efficient.

Now dont get me wrong I miss the iPhone. Wifi, iPod, Movies, Great Web, Visual Voice Mail, Nice looking emails, and my god its just an amazing device. But its just not for everyone. Also there is no way to save emails (unless you use imap), no way to save attachments, no mms, no cam zoom, no flash, no third party apps (unless you jailbreak it), quiet speaker phone, quiet phone in general.

You could always get the Curve and use it for the trial period and if you dont like it return it. I dont know the details on that, but I know people have done that type of thing before. I think you get a few weeks and if you dont like if you can return it. I think at first you will miss the iPhone (i did and still do from time to time) but I found out how SOLID of a device the BB is and havent really looked back since.

Last edited by snowcrash; 02-14-2008 at 01:33 PM..
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
HKP7M13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Any new AT&T BBs on the horizon I should know about before I commit to an 8310?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
pdshepherd

Carrier: AT&T

I went from Pearl to iPhone and then to a Curve. I kept the iPhone and have no phone service on it. I just use the ipod and all the other features when I can hit a WiFi spot. A blackberry is just too "no nonsense" to me. Everything on an iPhone while being fun to use takes too long to accomplish. If i could figure a way to just switch the active SIM in and out of Curve and iPhone that would be sweet.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
HKP7M13
Thumbs Must Hurt

So far so good. Just under a day but I haven't looked for a feature that was on the iPhone. Like I never left. :D
Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: The New AT&T

I am glad to hear you are coming back.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 02-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
yparlor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: At&T

Sorry to hear that you departed for the 'dark' side, but welcome home! =P

Iphone is a great device and as a huge fan of apple I can say that they hit a home run with that unit. Great for the average consumer who likes a lot of gadgets, but once you use a Blackberry, there is no going back. =)
Old 02-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
serpico007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

My brother has an iPod Touch and I imagine the iPhone is the same with cell functions. It's nice, but I would never switch because I need a real keyboard. Nice to hear you're back though.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
rojocrandall
Thumbs Must Hurt

My daughter has had an iPhone for a few weeks now - I agree it is a great product. But when we when had a issue with an image file locking up and rebooting the unit every time it was rendered, we went to the genius bar to get help some expert help, hopefully to find a back door way of accessing the system to delete the offending file. But we were told our only option was to restore the whole unit back to factory state. They were not too happy with my departing comment asking "isn't there a DOS window/command prompt interface?" Apple products remind me of the concept of Fisher-Price toys for the little kids - you buy a product without any expectation of being able to tailor, tinker or customize it.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
rick chi-town
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.
Carrier: Sprint

Recent convert back here too... actually bought an iPhone just because I had to be "that guy!" And while the iPhone does provide the flash out n about, to me, thats about all it provided. The phone was fine, texting horrible, email-yeah right, camera-yeah right, web browsing-ok, but come on, the screen is WAY too small to do any real surfing anyway, can you say laptop?
Anyway, sold the iPhone to a friend and picked up a Curve to ride out my AT&T contract.
I've had a 7100i on Nextel forever (thru my company) so have been a loyalist to BlackBerry's for awhile. I am stuck with the 7100i boat anchor for work, but have a 2G card in the Curve w/ all my music and haven't really looked back! I use the Curve for all personal use and just love it!!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
yparlor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: At&T

Apple is a great company, but until they open the application market to 3rd parties for the Iphone, it will always leave certain things to be desired. The inability to do a lot of modification on the consumer side also can be an issue for many customers. Most of my friends have a 'hacked' version of the OS running on their Iphones for more flexibility but I'd never trade my Curve for an Iphone.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
slick316

I went from 8700g on TMO to iPhone on AT&T. Got tired of the iPhone and tried out the Tilt, hated it. Now I have the Curve (just got it yesterday, so I will need to do my research on whats new and all that).

The Curve and iPhone are NOT the same phone. I have to say there are a bunch of cool iPhone features, but when it came to the stuff I use a phone for most (like making freaking phone calls!), the iPhone lacked.

The speakerphone on the iPhone is worthless. That is a feature I use a lot. When sitting in my office, I like to place calls on speaker and put the phone down on the desk. The Curve has a great speaker, and I have used it on about 5 calls already, and none of the callers were able to tell I was on speaker.

The iPhone keyboard just didn't to it for me. I like a "tactile" feel for the buttons. I also seem to be way more accurate when typing on a real keyboard like the Curves. The lack of MMS support was also annoying.

I don't use my phone much for browsing the web, so even though the BB browser is not great, it will work for how little I need it.

I need a good keyboard on my phone, good battery life, email, a GOOD speakerphone, and the Curve delivers.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great phone, just not for me.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
ahmadj22

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

yeah they dont like anyone talking about windows at the apple store. my brother's friend got thrown out of there once for saying bill gates is the most awesome person or something. (he was also wearing an optimus prime mask, which mught also be the cause of him being thrown out).
Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
serpico007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ya, had to be the mask! LOL

I think Apple needs to give it another go on the 2nd gen of the iPhone. Maybe they will improve on some these things and maybe not. It's a consumer device and never will be a total solution for both personal & business like the Blackberry. I think people are realizing this though slowly. My brother in law has many friends who purchased unlocked ones to use on Rogers. I can't imagine their data fees!
I'm sure it's a good solution for some but I think these people may have never used a Blackberry thinking that it's only for business. Perceptions huh?! :D
Old 02-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
serpico007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocrandall View Post
My daughter has had an iPhone for a few weeks now - I agree it is a great product. But when we when had a issue with an image file locking up and rebooting the unit every time it was rendered, we went to the genius bar to get help some expert help, hopefully to find a back door way of accessing the system to delete the offending file. But we were told our only option was to restore the whole unit back to factory state. They were not too happy with my departing comment asking "isn't there a DOS window/command prompt interface?" Apple products remind me of the concept of Fisher-Price toys for the little kids - you buy a product without any expectation of being able to tailor, tinker or customize it.
There probably is a unix command line process but 'the genius' wouldn't know. :D
Old 02-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #16
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have had several iPhones in the past...but came back to BlackBerry out of sheer frustration (long story). But, I suddenly got the itch for another one a couple of weeks ago after playing with a coworkers 8gb model. So...I found a BNIB one for ultra-cheap on Craigslist locally, and got it...

After three days of being frustrated again by the laggy applications, inconsistant touchscreen sensitivity, too-low earpiece & ringer volumes, too-low speakerphone, the inability to use the phone one-handed easily...and many other personal "bothers"...I sold the iPhone and couldn't sait to get my BIS plan back so I could use my 8310 Curve again!!!

I have finally...and absolutely, gotten the taste for the iPhone out of my mouth.

The iPhone is very cool. It has a bright, wonderful display. It does surpass the BlackBerry in the media-player/media-display area, and the Safari browser is nicer than the default browser on the BB. But in any and every other category that I can think of...the BlackBerry wins hands down.

You and I both made a great choice! Welcome back to BlackBerry.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
rick chi-town
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: pin me to the wall.
Carrier: Sprint

Why is everyone blowing so much wind up the iPhones skirt? The more I think about it, about the only thing it truly is good for is the iPod. Everyone here agrees the phone application is lacking to say the least, email and safari wouldn't even fully load pages unless you in a full coverage area!
And then lets talk about the iPod... 8g? I can add memory anytime I want buy simply buying another $49. MD card and have as many songs as I can dream of! The ability to watch movies? Awesome! yeah, on a screen the size of a credit card! I actually thought i was cool trying to watch a 30min tv show on a flight recently... i think my eyes are still burning. I'll fire up my laptop for a movie next time.
Not trying to completely talk smack about the product, but we're all back for a reason, right? Enough said.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

the only thing i like about the iPhone is Safari
Old 02-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #19
HKP7M13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not to mention that everything you put on the iPhone has to go through iTunes.

Did a device swap from my old 8830. Mostly everything was transfered except Sudoku and Berry411. Found Beyond411 and loaded it right up. Got my "24" ringtones back and it even transefered my Brickbreaker stats.

Still haven't looked back!

Thanks for all the comments

Last edited by HKP7M13; 02-16-2008 at 11:54 AM..
Old 02-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #20
HKP7M13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not to mention that everything you put on the iPhone has to go through iTunes.

Did a device swap and transfered almost everything over except for Berry411 and Sudoku. Found Beyond411 and loaded it right up. I'll have to buy Sudoku again. Got my "24" ringtones back and even transfered my Brickbreaker stats.

Still haven't looked back!

Thanks for all the comments
Closed Thread