Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
on1sony
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default zagg vs verizon aftermarket protectors

Please Login to Remove!

How does the aftermarket verizon storm screen protector differ from the one zagg sells?

Verizon sells a pack of 3 screen protectors for 9.99 in the store and will even install it for free.

Are they practically the same? Or is the zagg a better material?
Also is the full body protection recomeneded?

Saving 600 dollars a year by switching from verizon to tmobile!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
rhn1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VzW

I got the invisible shield and like it. I installed the whole body although I'll admit I'm not a big fan because the phone has a nice matt finish on the back and now with the shield you end up seeing smudges if you're hands are oily or have lotion on them. I do love the screen and the way it feels with the shield on though.

On thing to keep in mind is that the invisible shield is really for scratch protection only. The actual corners of the phone are not covered so if your goal is beyond that you might want to get a case

Be very patient with the installation. Took me almost an hour...
Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
on1sony
Thumbs Must Hurt

1 hour just to install a screen protector! WOW! maybe i'll just go with the verizon one... free install.. Does anybody know how they differ? From what you say i'm probably just gonna go with the screen protector... just to keep the screen scratch free...

Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by on1sony View Post
1 hour just to install a screen protector! WOW! maybe i'll just go with the verizon one... free install.. Does anybody know how they differ? From what you say i'm probably just gonna go with the screen protector... just to keep the screen scratch free...
I don't use a screen protector and my screen looks great, the thing is made of Glass and pretty tough.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
acole10000
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

I have used all three "Screen Protectors" and;

1) VZW 3 Pack for $9.99 - These drove my nuts as they show every fingerprint and grease smudge. They can be tricky to install

2) ZAGG invisibleSHIELD™ - Man this can be an expensive mistake to install, the spray liquid and the storm can prove to be an expensive mistake as liquid under the screen is pure poison. I like the texture of the semi soft plastic (some have said it feels like an orange), the ZAGG does show minor amounts of grease. This to can be tricky to install as you get one shot at it for an estimated $20.00

3) OEM that shipped w/ Storm - No smudges showed, with little protection, but who needs protection since the screen is near bullet proof - My personal favorite.

So at the end of the day I think they should be called Smudge Protectors and I would like to be able to buy the stuff that Blackberry uses at the factory.

Just my opinion
~Adam
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by on1sony View Post
Keep in mind that the person who said it took an hour used the InvisbleShield on the ENTIRE phone. Buttons, sides, back and screen.

I installed IvisibleShield SCREEN only. Still a $20 investment. Yes, you MUST be cautious about the amount of activation spray you use, you really don't need a lot, remember that the droplets spread so the film doesn't have to be 100% covered with liquid, only well covered with droplets.

Then, I cut up pieces of newspaper and tucked it into the gap on the edges I was going to squeegee to and the newspaper caught the excess liquid.

I love the protector and frankly and more irritated by the dust that is under the glass screen than I am by any finger prints that collect on the screen.

The InvisibleShield has a great feel, your finger glides nicely and I think the amount of finger prints/ grease / whatever is typical.

Lastly, be sure you allow the 12hour drying time. Also, don't panic when, just after application, the touch response is poor, it MUST dry before it will fully work again. Think of it this way, before it is dry there is a "cushion" of liquid between your finger and the screen.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
rhn1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VzW

Apologies if I wasn't clear. It took me an hour to install the whole body kit (including the screen).

I didn't have any problems with the parts molding to the shape (I know they say you can use a blow dryer. My recommendaiton is to put the phone near your cable box if you have one. It generates enough heat to speed the drying process
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
on1sony
Thumbs Must Hurt

From what I have seen it is pretty tuff to scratch the glass material that the phone is made out of. I think i'm gonna run it without any protection on the screen and if it gets really bad maybe just put an insurance claim after it dosn't work. Meanwhile i'll just be careful to not have it in a pocket with change or keys.

Last edited by on1sony; 01-07-2009 at 10:03 PM..
Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
nm6r

I used the oem film that came on the unit for about a month. It got very worn and even somehow got a scratch that would show up bad at the right angle. I was anxious to get rid of the oem film and put on a new screen protector.

I opted for the Zagg invishield screen protector. I spent a few minutes reading the instructions and viewing the online video. I spent about 5 minutes installing it. I let it set from early evening to the next morning (apx. 13 hours) and the results were near perfect. Any of the minor imperfections were gone by the next day. It's nice to know it will protect the screen, is incredibly durable and will never need to be replaced. I couldn't imagine having to mess around reapplying a new protector every so often.

Ray
Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

I opted for the OEM screen for a while, but it got air bubbles and was getting worn out quickly...

Then I went in to VZW and bought the 3 pack. (actually got it for 7.49 for some reason)... it took me 2 attempts the first time to get it lined up just right.

After a month, it's got a small corner where it is pulling up (about 10 days ago), but that hasn't spread...

And it works very well... I found an official lambskin holster on Amazon for under $10, so I'm using that now (even works w/ the silicone skin)...

I chose not to buy the insurance (had it for 2 yrs on my 8703 and never needed it)... So I'm spending a bit to protect my storm.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
Cowboyz

Zagg full body is awesome!! Just take your time installing it.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
rob_p

Model: 9500

Wirelessly posted

My Zagg kit arrived yesterday.
Any tips on how to clean the Storm prior to putting it on?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_p View Post
Wirelessly posted

My Zagg kit arrived yesterday.
Any tips on how to clean the Storm prior to putting it on?
if the phone is not dirty, use a microfiber cloth and just wipe away smudges. if it is dirty, dip a cloth in soapy water, strain really good, wipe down the phone and then wipe it again with the microfiber cloth.

i bought the full body invisible shield kit and wound up throwing it out. i tried applying the screen protector first, but once it sticks, you can't pull it off and reposition it without stretching the film or putting marks on the sticky side.

i guess it takes a lot of patience.

so i just took off all the oem protective plastic and put the phone in a blackberry silicon jacket.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
corona

I've tried the screen only protector by ZAGG, which was a disaster for me. Apparently, I used to much liquid and disingrated the paper backing on the protector so I couldn't pull the paper away from the plastic. So there was 20 bucks wasted away since they only supply one protector.

I order a full body kit from Phantom Skinz, which I totally love. The application itself was pretty simple including and especially the back and edges. I honestly didnt think the edges would adher but they have and it looks awesome. The only problem I had was applying the touch screen protector. If you do not get the application perfect the first or second time it seem to collect more dust on the sticky side and creates air under it easier, which makes for a poor application. I'm very satisfied. I really hated constantly wiping the screen off to try to keep it somewhat clean.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
CaptSwerve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

My Verizon screen protectors do not show many finger prints. Easy install and they seem tough.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

As for ZAGG, I just think there are people who love it and will keep resurrecting this type of thread in attempts to cover up the tons of negative press it gets from Storm owners. Here are a few:

YouTube - BLACKBERRY STORM ZAGG INVISIBLE SHIELD IS JUNK!
YouTube - Invisishield_1.MOV
YouTube - Invisishield_2.MOV

This is not to say ZAGG shields are bad. They are WONDERFUL for non-touch type items such as other Blackberries, iPods, and various screened items that don't employ touchscreen technology.

The cheap sticky screen protectors work just fine on the Storm and they take only a minute or two to apply. The ZAGG shield requires you to wet down your Storm with an application fluid, which is absolutely nuts!!

If you have had the temerity to apply it and were lucky enough not to damage your phone, I am happy for you. But I have seen the ZAGG shield on a Storm and to me it makes the phone look cheap. It also collects dust and pocket lint at all the edges, which also adds to a shabby look.

I have heard you can remove the sticky feel from the screen by wiping it down with car wax but I am still not thrilled with the idea of applying so many different substances to the phone.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
corona

I personally didn't have anything against the Invisible Shield. It just didnt work for me. And the fact that you only get one screen protector was pretty much a deal breaker for me. The Phantom Skinz was a great find. It was easy to apply and you get two complete sets of protectors. Its about 24 bucks, but totally worth it. Once finished your device will look shiny and new for a long time and be protected without the added bulk. I have not experience the lint collecting on my device with the Phantom Skinz, but i dont carry mine in my pocket either, its usually in my hand or beltclip.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Corona,

Just ordered the Phantom Skinz. Gonna ditch my second silicon cover. They just don't do well going in and out of my pockets.

Just so you know, I researched the heck out of all the thin skins and it was a close call between BSE and Phantom Skinz. I leaned toward PS because it comes with two skinz and I've yet to hear a negative review.

Quick questions:

Did you apply it over your factory screen protector or did you remove that first?
Any screen sensitivity issues after application?

Verizon 9530
Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Best Skins Ever costs $10 and is the same thing as Invisibleshield. Comes in an envelope instead of a box is about the only difference. I used some of the pieces on my 8900 and it's fine. You can see a slight orange peel texture to the screen with it dark, it's very slightly tacky. The Storm may be different with the touchscreen, but my point is there's no reason to pay $25 when $10 is the same thing.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #20
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

TheBigNewt,

I leaned away from BSE because of the "orange peel" texture which is allegedly non-existent with Phantom Skinz. I am also not budget constrained so $25 is worth it to me for a backup set or the ability to try again after a possible application mishap.

I researched this matter across many different phones and the PS users give the best reviews.

Verizon 9530
Closed Thread