BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
anw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Media Player Disappears; Set Restart Point?

Please Login to Remove!

BB 9700, latest OS, and
BB 9000 4.6 OS (or so; I've seen this on both BBs but am currently using the 9700 and am therefore less concerned with this one)

Summary
When I use media player and then pause the playback, I get the "Now Playing..." menu entry on my main BB menu for a while, then it just disappears. Also, the media player no longer appears in the list when I choose "Switch Applications". I don't know if this is indicative of the program crashing or what, but it really aggravates the following larger problem:

Details
Unlike (probably) most people, I primarily use the media features on the BB to listen to audio books (as opposed to music, for example). Therefore, any disconnect between the point at which I pause or stop the player and restart it is really annoying, since it leaves either gaps in the story or I have to listen to long parts of it all over again. The most common scenario is that I drive to work listening to a book, pause the player and lock the screen, go in to work, then leave some hours later, either for lunch or at the end of the work day. Upon leaving, when I go to restart the player, it's gone away. So, I have to restart the chapter I'm on and then, by trial and error stopping and listening, use the annoyingly non-granular progress button doohickey (another issue, but not so bad) to get back to where I was in the story. With some books, these chapters (or at least the way they divide up the book into mp3's) can be over an hour long.

So, even the pause/restart issue is a work-around to the ideal solution, which (finally) leads me to the questions I'd like to ask of this forum:

Ideally, I'd like to have a media player that had these features:
  • When the player is paused or stopped, it saves which mp3 file and the exact place within that file that it is playing (well, to the second or so) in non-volatile storage. When it restarts, it restarts at that exact place again, but allows you to use the progress bar to move back and forth from there.
  • Better yet, allow the user to put in an overlap time, so that if he put in, for example, 15 sec overlap, the player would start up 15 seconds before the point at which it paused. This would allow some context and be a reminder of exactly where you were in the story.

Does anyone know of a player that has the one or both of these features?

• Barring this, is there anyway to try and figure out why the BB player would be exiting on its on some time after being paused or stopped?

TIA,
anw
Old 01-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Media Player Disappears; Set Restart Point?

My experience nowadays is mostly with the podcast app and use of the media player in conjuction with that, with some experience playing media directly.

As far as starting to play from the spot where paused, the stock media player will do this if left open. Once closed, no deal.

I'm not sure about the issue with "now playing" disappearing from the menu. When I play podcasts from the podcasts app and either pause it or don't close the media player after the podcast has completed, the now "podcast playing" menu item remains. I can't say what happens if I play a file directly with the media player. But, just curious, in your case, is media player still open when the menu item has disappeared?

Don't know about aftermarket players.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
anw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

No, the media player does not remain open. I try to leave it open. It is as though the program crashed.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
Yoryie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have the exact same problem. I will be listening to music, pause it for maybe 20 or 30 minutes, phone locks, player is gone when I unlock!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I think you need to distinguish between the player app not showing if you use 'switch application' and the 'now playing' or 'podcast playing' disappearing from the menu.

in my experience it is normal for the player to disappear under certain circumstances. In fact, if you launch the player from the BlackBerry podcats app, the player doesn't even show when using 'switch application'. I'm not surprised if it is not showing after the device has locked and then is unlocked. In other words, it may be undesirable for some, but I think it's just the way it is, at least with the native software.

However, in my experience the menu items 'now playing' and 'podcast playing' remain even after the device has locked and been unlocked, until the player is closed by the user. You may not be able to see the open player using 'switch application', but you can bring it to the screen with either of those 'playing' menu items if the player has been left open.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread